Invernesian Fakes Death

5 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Watched a documentary about him the other night and, as you say, it just seems bizarre that no-one seems to have been able to discern any backstory about him whatsoever prior to him rocking up in Inverness in his late teens/early 20's. 

I mean, a fairly high profile case in the media both here and abroad given the mad attempt at faking his own death in America etc, and not a single person from his earlier life has been found or come forward to say they lived near him, went to school with him etc? OK, he's not exactly the type of person you'd want to be associated with given he's a beasty, rapey bassa, but there's usually always someone looking to get their face in front of a camera for their couple of minutes of fame. Very, very strange.

I think the answer is ,simply,lazy,lazy journalism.guy that did the programme was happy to be on TV,happy to have the trip to LA& Colorado but unable or unwilling to put in the hard yards research wise;either that or it was absolutely massacred when edited 

Edited by highlandmac

Absolute powder puff of a programme. Highlight being when he went into the tatto shop - " oh yeah, I think Jason did that shit". Well f**k me, stellar journalism there Boner you utter limp dick. Just used it as an excuse for a paid jolly to America. 

Funny as f**k that the stoner wifie rooked the beast for his cash and car.

3 hours ago, highlandmac said:

I think the answer is ,simply,lazy,lazy journalism.guy that did the programme was happy to be on TV,happy to have the trip to LA& Colorado but unable or unwilling to put in the hard yards research wise;either that or it was absolutely massacred when edited 

I'd have to disagree and in fact you've answered your unfair question. 

There's aspects to the case that we don't need to know and there will no doubt be areas that the BBC legal department wouldn't sign up to, so with that in mind I can't see where the lazy lazy is justified. 

Knowing nothing of the despicable behaviour at the time, I found it curious that Avis / Gordon was given what seemed to be preferential treatment by our local council and Thomas Prag came over as all the idiot he appears to be in the piece.

There's something about small town Inverness that disturbs me in the context of this and beyond. 

Apparently the documentary is just the first part going by the documentary maker - Myles Bonnar's twitter as seems to be getting quite a lot of folk saying about unanswered questions from the documentary on his Twitter. Or he is just saying that as he has realised half arsed it.

14 hours ago, sophia said:

I'd have to disagree and in fact you've answered your unfair question. 

There's aspects to the case that we don't need to know and there will no doubt be areas that the BBC legal department wouldn't sign up to, so with that in mind I can't see where the lazy lazy is justified. 

Knowing nothing of the despicable behaviour at the time, I found it curious that Avis / Gordon was given what seemed to be preferential treatment by our local council and Thomas Prag came over as all the idiot he appears to be in the piece.

There's something about small town Inverness that disturbs me in the context of this and beyond. 

There's a few aspects to his background we did need to know(without going into great details) to make it a coherent story eg where did he come from,was he in a relationship/married whilst shagging/attempting to shag these younger lassies,why did the american woman get his assets(tgeres clearly a story there).all much more relevant than "heres where he got his tattoo"etc

I always though he sounded slightly northern when I heard him talking.  A soft Manchester/Lancashire accent.  But like others have said, his background is a complete mystery.  Given he lived in Inverness for 25 odd years, you'd think someone here would know his story.

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I always though he sounded slightly northern when I heard him talking.  A soft Manchester/Lancashire accent.

An Invernesian describing fucking Manchester as northern is completely unacceptable, btw.

I think there are reasons why they couldn't give any details on his children and relationships beyond the interview with Jade.  If you read back through this thread or reports of his trial you'll see what I mean.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think there are reasons why they couldn't give any details on his children and relationships beyond the interview with Jade.  If you read back through this thread or reports of his trial you'll see what I mean.

I don't know the detail but it was easy to guess from the reports at the time what went on. I can't remember to what extent reporting restrictions were lifted during the trial but protecting vulnerable people should remain as something that trumps any need for prurience. 

@highlandmac I thought the tattoo parlour bit was included to help the viewer visualise the violence of the wolf thing he's got going on and how that contrasts to his hippy trippy persona. 

I think the documentary was awful and has made me completely lose interest in this case. 

It started with his son being in America with him and calling the police reporting the supposed death - did we ever hear anything about his son again in the documentary? Then there’s the young girl talking about how Avis was abusing her when she was pregnant, was it her son who reported him missing? Didn’t even specify if she was pregnant with his child? I can’t imagine anyone who had no backstory on this case having even the slightest interest in the documentary. It reminded me of a uni group project that was thrown together last minute.

i do think it’s impressive how little people know about him considering he was constantly in the town centre of Inverness for years dealing with thousands of people.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I think the documentary was awful and has made me completely lose interest in this case. 

It started with his son being in America with him and calling the police reporting the supposed death - did we ever hear anything about his son again in the documentary? Then there’s the young girl talking about how Avis was abusing her when she was pregnant, was it her son who reported him missing? Didn’t even specify if she was pregnant with his child? I can’t imagine anyone who had no backstory on this case having even the slightest interest in the documentary. It reminded me of a uni group project that was thrown together last minute.

i do think it’s impressive how little people know about him considering he was constantly in the town centre of Inverness for years dealing with thousands of people.

I don't think they can give any details on his son for legal reasons.  Also, he might have declined to co-operate with the documentary.

I don't think the woman who Avis abused when she was pregnant with his child was the mother of the son who reported him missing.  His son was 17 when he reported him missing in 2019 and the woman interviewed about the abuse when she was pregnant said she met him in the early 2000s and then developed a relationship over years.  As noted by others, he has numerous children.

Incidentally, this article says that he was from Newmarket in Suffolk - https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/newmarket/news/rapist-is-jailed-after-faking-his-own-death-in-california-9206543/

Edited by ICTChris

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think they can give any details on his son for legal reasons.  Also, he might have declined to co-operate with the documentary.

I don't think the woman who Avis abused when she was pregnant with his child was the father of the son who reported him missing.  His son was 17 when he reported him missing in 2019 and the woman interviewed about the abuse when she was pregnant said she met him in the early 2000s and then developed a relationship over years.  As noted by others, he has numerous children.

Incidentally, this article says that he was from Newmarket in Suffolk - https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/newmarket/news/rapist-is-jailed-after-faking-his-own-death-in-california-9206543/

Yeah but they didn’t even go into detail about how his son was the one reporting him missing before he went on the run - and where his son ended up after or if he got investigated they just fucked off and left that part out. They could have at least said they can’t do various things for legal reasons but they didn’t do it.

The young woman just said she was pregnant never anything about it being his and we didn’t find anything out about his involvement with the child when born or anything else about the subject.

Did it even say that the offences were related to the women who were being interviewed for the documentary? You just knew he got jailed for being a beast but there was very little specific detail. 

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah but they didn’t even go into detail about how his son was the one reporting him missing before he went on the run - and where his son ended up after or if he got investigated they just fucked off and left that part out. They could have at least said they can’t do various things for legal reasons but they didn’t do it.

The young woman just said she was pregnant never anything about it being his and we didn’t find anything out about his involvement with the child when born or anything else about the subject.

Did it even say that the offences were related to the women who were being interviewed for the documentary? You just knew he got jailed for being a beast but there was very little specific detail. 

His son was sent home a couple of days after he reported him missing.  He could technically have been charged with a crime but I think the fact that he was a minor and there were questions about what happened, they left it.

Jade, who was the main woman interviewed, was one of the women who accused him of rape.  The others couldn't be identified, either through choice or because of their age.

58 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

His son was sent home a couple of days after he reported him missing.  He could technically have been charged with a crime but I think the fact that he was a minor and there were questions about what happened, they left it.

Jade, who was the main woman interviewed, was one of the women who accused him of rape.  The others couldn't be identified, either through choice or because of their age.

Was this in the documentary or your own knowledge? I still think documentary was shit. I watched a similar one about the murders in that American town Moscow that was even worse, and I worry about the standard of documentaries we have to look forward to in the coming years.

I spoke to Kim once in 2007 when I was off my chops on a very good batch of pills me and my friends had sourced and he didn’t give anything away in our conversation to the point I couldn’t remember what we had spoke about when coming down the next day. I remember I found him pretty dismissive which I had always taken personally but now I have realised he just wasn’t interested in me because I wasn’t a teenage girl. 

The documentary was formulaic.  An eccentric person shows up in Inverness.  Nobody knows where he is from.  Maybe they did but  that sounds boring.  A mysterious man from nowhere.  Maybe he drives a talking car.  Oops that's Knight Rider.

At the start, they explain how he was seen as a good guy.  Bit strange but good nonetheless.  Did lots of good things.  You get the idea.

.. but he had a dark side.  End of Act 1.  Cue the adverts.

Next bit describes how he deceived everyone.  Not a good guy after all.  Quelle surprise.

.. but then he disappears.  Oh no.  End of Act 2.

The hunt is on.  He tries to give them the slip but he is caught.  He is sentenced and goes to prison.  The end.

That should be enough to fill the time slot.  It is.