Imperial vs Metric

Ludo*1

Foot and inches or metres and centimetres?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah, yes. The "Gimli Glider"

You do realise that technically this isn't an imperial/metric mix-up. It's a USC/metric mix-up. The mechanics used USC gallons (United States Customary) to work out how much fuel to put in the first ever Air Canada metric plane. Accordingly, the conversion factors used were related to US gallons, which are smaller than Imperial gallons.

Just shows the idiocy of having two different versions of 'imperial' with some common units. That's seriously confusing.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

So we're agreed then? Imperial is the way forward.

Genuine question what do other Europeans ask for in the pub when they want their equivalent of the finest brew?!

Large or small. In germany its usually 0.3l, 0.5l or multiples thereof of 0.5l

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If only there was some kind of standardised guide that all sensible countries use for this kind of stuff.

Is that why Primark clothes sizes are all a bit small? Stupid Bangladeshis. 

Spoiler

I'm not fat.

So we're agreed then? Imperial is the way forward.
Genuine question what do other Europeans ask for in the pub when they want their equivalent of the finest brew?!
I was in a home ware shop a while ago, and they were selling packs of pint glasses alongside packs of "metric pint glasses". These glasses were 500ml.

31 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If only there was some kind of standardised guide that all sensible countries use for this kind of stuff.

I'm surprised (former) French and Belgian colonies weren't metric from their colonization rather than from 1950 onwards.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is that why Primark clothes sizes are all a bit small? Stupid Bangladeshis. 

Hide contents

I'm not fat.

That bit of red to the rhs of Bangladesh ain't Bangladesh.

For me:

Beer: imperial
Wine: metric
Height: imperial
Weight: metric
Fuel: imperial
Temperature: metric

And to thoroughly confuse the issue, at work we measure and calculate in metric and then convert the answer to imperial so we can all understand and compare the answer!

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Primark workers escaped from Myanmar with their imperial rulers is what I heard.

What, the Brits all fled to West Pakistan (as was)?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

What, the Brits all fled to West Pakistan (as was)?

Only the officers, who were too thick to tell the difference with metric and got the top jobs because of their moustaches.

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If the French are so clever how come we don't have metric time? 

Technically we do have metric time..

The primary unit of time (the second) is defined in metric terms. It's something to do with vibrations of a cesium atom.

I'm not aware of any meaningful imperial definition.

Here, most measurements are metric. Kilometre, a litre of petrol, and 179cm tall rather than 5 foot 10 inch. Also, it's 85kg's rather than 13 stone.

Even though I've been here for over 20 years I still use foot and inches for height and stone for weight. 

I'm a tiler by trade and you need to measure exactly to do most cuts. That works a lot easier using metric than imperial. 

Archived