Journalist killed in Derry riots

ICTChris

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

Not quite sure spamming the thread with incidents from the 80s has of great relevance to the 'PR' today tbh. It's a different political landscape now.

What's a little politically motivated mass murder between friends. It would be a different political landscape in NI if the SF-DUP axis was replaced with an Alliance-People Before Profit one.

Obviously a scumbag action.   At what point to we stop referring to these guys as political activists/terrorists and start just calling them the scumbag gangsters they are. and have have been for a long time now.  Non-political Leaders of either so called side would sell the ‘cause’ out quickly for a a bit more cash. 

27 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What's a little politically motivated mass murder between friends. It would be a different political landscape in NI if the SF-DUP axis was replaced with an Alliance-People Before Profit one.

Well unless they designate themselves as Unionist and Nationalist that's not going to happen.

51 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My only point with that was what would constitute a change in political landscape but my understanding of how the NI Assembly works is that if the non-designated parties ever eclipsed the Unionist or Nationalist ones on number of MLAs they would be in line for one half of the FM and DFM post.

I think they have to eclipse both, as it could be argued the Executive wouldn't have cross community support if the largest party was Sinn Fein and Alliance were the second largest. Or the DUP largest and PBP the second largest.

But I could be completely wrong, can't find anything to say that the two largest parties have to be unionist and nationalist.

On 24/02/2023 at 19:33, LongTimeLurker said:

Judging by the general condemnation from SF over this I doubt you would have such outcry in the 80s. I think it's fair to say SF have moved on a fair bit from their beliefs in the 80s to now which is why they have been making inroads in the Dail too.

Edited by gannonball

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Judging by the general condemnation from SF over this I doubt you would have such outcry in the 80s. I think it's fair to say SF have moved on a fair bit from their beliefs in the 80s to now which is why they have been making inroads in the Dail too.

I doubt SF have just suddenly developed a conscience.

The IRA were forced to give up torturing, shooting and blowing people up by a mixture of state infiltration, loyalists fighting back and it not actually achieving their objectives.

The PSNI have confirmed that SF are still controlled by the IRA army council, and they have all sorts of other dodgy connections.

Gangsters in suits?  Perhaps not as simple as that nowadays.  People to keep a close eye on, who mostly believe the end justifies the means?  You bet.

7 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I doubt SF have just suddenly developed a conscience.

The IRA were forced to give up torturing, shooting and blowing people up by a mixture of state infiltration, loyalists fighting back and it not actually achieving their objectives.

The PSNI have confirmed that SF are still controlled by the IRA army council, and they have all sorts of other dodgy connections.

Gangsters in suits?  Perhaps not as simple as that nowadays.  People to keep a close eye on, who mostly believe the end justifies the means?  You bet.

Was that claim not about 8 years ago and it was 'links' rather than control? You have  exaggerated a  on something that was a claim rather than evidence unless there has been something since I'm not aware of 

I have no doubt there are still some shifty people in SF though but there's a lot more faces now that haven't come through the usual ranks excuse the pun.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The IRA were forced to give up the torturing, shooting and blowing people up by a mixture of state infiltration, loyalists fighting back and it not actually achieving their objectives.

They would probably claim that if it wasn't for the "torturing, shooting and blowing up people" they would never have got into Stormont.

P. S. I personally think if the hunger strikes hadn't happened, and Thatcher didn't react the way she did, and the IRA didn't respond with the Brighton bombing, the whole mess could have been sorted 15 years earlier. Lot of ifs though. Both sides knew it wasn't a winnable war militarily by the late 70s imo. 

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Was that claim not about 8 years ago and it was 'links' rather than control? You have  exaggerated a  on something that was a claim rather than evidence unless there has been something since I'm not aware of 

I have no doubt there are still some shifty people in SF though but there's a lot more faces now that haven't come through the usual ranks excuse the pun.

Even in 2021 the IRA Army Council was overseeing both SF and the PIRA with an overarching strategy.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/psni-assessment-of-ira-army-council-relationship-with-sinn-fein-remains-unchanged-says-chief-constable-simon-byrne-3187440

I doubt the relationship has changed in the last 20 months.

15 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Even in 2021 the IRA Army Council was overseeing both SF and the PIRA with an overarching strategy.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/psni-assessment-of-ira-army-council-relationship-with-sinn-fein-remains-unchanged-says-chief-constable-simon-byrne-3187440

I doubt the relationship has changed in the last 20 months.

If you read that article it's just him standing by what was said in 2015 though, there hasn't been any outcome of any official investigation since which they were basing it on what some PIRA members believe at lower level, not exactly a smoking gun.

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If you read that article it's just him standing by what was said in 2015 though, there hasn't been any outcome of any official investigation since which they were basing it on what some PIRA members believe at lower level, not exactly a smoking gun.

They’d have been basing it on the intelligence at the time (2021) surely?

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If you read the article he's standing by the 2015 assessment and his 'judgement' hasn't changed.

Mr Byrne replied: “In relation to that 2015 assessment my judgement - our judgement - is that nothing has changed...as we sit here tonight we don’t see any departure from that assessment.

The judgement for not seeing any departure from the 2015 assessment won't be an educated guess, but based on 2021 intelligence.