St Johnstone vs Motherwell - Saturday 11th May

The only thing you can fault for Kane for on Saturday is his finishing and a more clinical player would have had a hat-trick. If he'd put away a couple of those chances then folk would have been raving about his performance. Well, those that don't chastise his every move.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The only thing you can fault for Kane for on Saturday is his finishing and a more clinical player would have had a hat-trick. If he'd put away a couple of those chances then folk would have been raving about his performance. Well, those that don't chastise his every move.

He works hard, has good movement, wins a lot of free kicks by getting goal side of defenders and he's becoming quite an intelligent striker. He also wins a fair amount of flick ons. I don't doubt defenders hate playing against him.

On the flip side his finishing is very very poor. It's a tough one. I do think we should be looking to get better.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Mixed bag from Kane for me. Some excellent stuff, but then 4 or 5 instances where he messed up at key moments which would have led to chances or goals.

If he can get that bit of composure, especially when in front of goal, then we'll have a very good striker on our hands.  He is certainly worrying opposition defenders these days though, with his closing down, winning headers and runs in behind you can tell he's never giving them a moments peace.

I agree we got a mixed bag from Kane. I am not a great supporter of him as a striker. I cannot deny that he always gives 100%. (like my old maths teacher said he tries hard but fails to make the grades) For me effort is not enough, he had at least 3 very good chances yesterday and missed all 3. Stats do not lie. This season 3 goals, 3 assists and 46% of shot on target. It does not make good reading for a centre forward. Therefore do we play him again next season and get the same results or do we try someone else.  I know the £1mil question where do we find some one to replace him? I feel we will struggle next season without a centre forward who can score goals.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/top-scorers

4 hours ago, Templar said:

I agree we got a mixed bag from Kane. I am not a great supporter of him as a striker. I cannot deny that he always gives 100%. (like my old maths teacher said he tries hard but fails to make the grades) For me effort is not enough, he had at least 3 very good chances yesterday and missed all 3. Stats do not lie. This season 3 goals, 3 assists and 46% of shot on target. It does not make good reading for a centre forward. Therefore do we play him again next season and get the same results or do we try someone else.  I know the £1mil question where do we find some one to replace him? I feel we will struggle next season without a centre forward who can score goals.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/top-scorers

I agree. If we wanted a forward that works hard, is strong on the ball, gets into good positions and then misses chances we'll we just let a better one go. 

7 hours ago, Radford said:

The guy is a professional footballer In the top league in his country, it's his fucking job to score goals. If you had a 46% success rate in your job do you think that's ok? Would your boss think that is ok? He needs to take a good look at himself imo, there are people in that side who've improved beyond belief,  why can't Kane?

The guy is a professional footballer In the top league in his country, it's his fucking job to score goals. If you had a 46% success rate in your job do you think that's ok? Would your boss think that is ok? He needs to take a good look at himself imo, there are people in that side who've improved beyond belief,  why can't Kane?

I don’t understand how you could have watched this team all season and last and not think Kane is one of those who have improved? Kane used to float through games being bullied by defenders and barely doing a noticeable thing, that’s not something you can level at him now. He doesn’t score enough and might never be a 15 goal a season striker but he hassles defenders, holds the ball up reasonably well and creates chances for others by being a fucking nuisance. He’s a good option to have and in the second half of this season has earned the chance to go into next season as someone in the mix up front imo. Given how his game has come on in other aspects I see no reason why he couldn’t also improve his composure in front of goal also, especially if we can add more natural finishers to the side he can learn from. He’s been our best striker this season in a fairly tough gig.

14 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

He’s been our best striker this season in a fairly tough gig.

Our best striker; 3 goals and 3 assist speaks volumes about why we need another striker. Kenny Milller is 39 and does the same job and playing for the worse team in the league and scores 8 goals. I am not advocating we sign him.  We obviously disagree about the main duty of a striker, for me it is score goals. But that's football we all have opinions but it is Wright's that matters.

Our best striker; 3 goals and 3 assist speaks volumes about why we need another striker. Kenny Milller is 39 and does the same job and playing for the worse team in the league and scores 8 goals. I am not advocating we sign him.  We obviously disagree about the main duty of a striker, for me it is score goals. But that's football we all have opinions but it is Wright's that matters.

Steven Maclean barely got past double figures in a season with us... surely he was better than just average bc of the other aspects he contributed?

6 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Steven Maclean barely got past double figures in a season with us... surely he was better than just average bc of the other aspects he contributed?

Macca had seasons totals of  8, 9,9, 14.  And another couple of seasons with less which were affected by injury.

I think around 10 goals this season from Kane would have been an acceptable return.  And it's probably around the mark we get from our top scoring striker in the Premiership, other than Paul Wright or Stevie May's great season.

Do think Kane has definitely improved his all round game though, and with work on his finishing he'd definitely be a strong contender to be our starting striker in my opinion.  Must improve in that area or I would still see him as a squad player.

Not having seen the game it's good to read we played well while Kennedy had a quiet game. I was picking up at times that we only appeared to play well when he did. 

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

I don’t understand how you could have watched this team all season and last and not think Kane is one of those who have improved? Kane used to float through games being bullied by defenders and barely doing a noticeable thing, that’s not something you can level at him now. He doesn’t score enough and might never be a 15 goal a season striker but he hassles defenders, holds the ball up reasonably well and creates chances for others by being a fucking nuisance. He’s a good option to have and in the second half of this season has earned the chance to go into next season as someone in the mix up front imo. Given how his game has come on in other aspects I see no reason why he couldn’t also improve his composure in front of goal also, especially if we can add more natural finishers to the side he can learn from. He’s been our best striker this season in a fairly tough gig.

Chris Kane has attributes a lot of other footballers don't but the basics of being a striker he can be absolutely terrible at. I want the laddie to improve and do well for Saints, it's frustrating seeing the same shite I've witnessed for years. Never mind next season will be his...... feels like I've said that before.

O’Halloran, Kennedy and id say Wright are probably all good for 5/6 goals each next season. Or should be. Davidson will always chip in with a similar number and you’d expect maybe half a dozen from your defence, maybe a little more. Throw in all the other players in the squad who you’d think would grab another 12/15 and a 10/15 goal a season striker would have you on 50/55 goals next season.

Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but I don’t think with the right recruitment in that area that it’s totally unobtainable. For a kick off, if we’d scored the penalties we’ve missed, you’re looking at another 5 goals alone!

Kane is a useful option, with strengths many strikers dont have, and is probably good for 5 goals in an average season. Hes probably best playing alongside another striker, as he has a bit of freedom to chase balls down and also gets more time on the ball once hes got it. 

I'd say hes a natural finisher, as if it's an instinctive finish, he generally takes it, if he has time to think, he seems to miss.

Theres definitely comparisons to be made to MacLean when he first joined, I'm sure he was hellish for missing sitters.

I refuse to believe we cant sign a better striker though, and I'm unconvinced we'll ever be at a stage where hes first choice without it being forced on us by injury/lack of players. He misses too many chances, and doesnt seem able to play the right pass. I know he put MOH through for the second, but there were at least two other chances to do similar and he hesitated on the ball so long trying to see a pass, and then his pass was weak and easily intercepted.