A postive case for the union

This is 'I have a black friends' level of cant.
What's true is that, "loads of English folk living in Scotland" have faced opprobrium going back decades.
That there's an increasingly harsh xenophobic edge to Scottish nationalism, that The English are singled out for special criticism and that the Glengarried-up brigade are pushing the politics of identity and division still harder are all true.
There's a good case to be made for an independent Scotland in the context of The EU.  That it's being made by a group that includes a significant number of small-minded, vitriolic xenophobes is unfortunate and certainly negative.
Because living in Bucks you see it every day.

It's because the only thing they can repeat time after time is "13 billion" "sterlingisation" "anti English" "natsi's" on a loop like some fucking broken malfunctioning Mr T in your pocket. Bigotry and xenophobia. That's their reasons for staying in the UK and they try to tar the independence movement with the same brush, when it's nothing of the sort.

2 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

It's because the only thing they can repeat time after time is "13 billion" "sterlingisation" "anti English" "natsi's" on a loop like some fucking broken malfunctioning Mr T in your pocket. Bigotry and xenophobia. That's their reasons for staying in the UK and they try to tar the independence movement with the same brush, when it's nothing of the sort.

😂 What a lot of absolute drivel. 

Maybe you can answer Malkys question ? 🤔

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not me.  My stance has always been one United Kingdom at the heart of Europe and, since the Brexit vote, have always been open to an independent Scotland.  Wouldn't be my first choice but I could see why many would support it.

I do detest how the Natters have gone about it and seem to miss an open goal with their xenophobic rhetoric and politics of identity and division.  They could make it so much more palatable to those on the margin if they could ditch the shortbread-munching 'dressing-up-box' fuckwittery that so many seem to revel in.

Glad to see you are still a remainer but where are you getting this from?   True there are some individual punters who take this stance (outnumbered some 50 to one by English nutter nationalists) but I don't see it from the politicians, although living outwith the UK (due to problems which will be encountered after brexit) I don't follow it in minute detail, just the headline stuff.

The £13 billion he keeps rattling on about? [emoji23]It's from a set of figures that has the Celtic nation's portion of the debt as greater than the UK deficit. It's a report which should start "once upon a time...."[emoji23

ETA the UK has fucked Scotland over so we shouldn't try to go it alone? A vote for independence is a vote to leave the EU? A partnership of equals? You're servile beyond belief

[emoji23] What a lot of absolute drivel. 

Maybe you can answer Malkys question ? [emoji848]

3 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

The £13 billion he keeps rattling on about? emoji23.pngIt's from a set of figures that has the Celtic nation's portion of the debt as greater than the UK deficit. It's a report which should start "once upon a time...."[emoji23

ETA the UK has fucked Scotland over so we shouldn't try to go it alone? A vote for independence is a vote to leave the EU? A partnership of equals? You're servile beyond belief

So how come Derek McKay admits there is a 13 billion deficit ? 🤔 

And me servile ? Not at all.

You brainwashed ? Maybe 

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That we should be grateful that Scotland runs an alleged 13BN deficit? That we 'scrounge' off England?

Sure. That sounds real positive. If in fact it is true.

McKay admits we spend 13 billion more than we take in taxes.

So what cuts do you suggest we make if the unthinkable happens ?

31 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Glad to see you are still a remainer but where are you getting this from?   True there are some individual punters who take this stance (outnumbered some 50 to one by English nutter nationalists) but I don't see it from the politicians, although living outwith the UK (due to problems which will be encountered after brexit) I don't follow it in minute detail, just the headline stuff.

He's making it up because he's a piece of shit.

Edited by DA Baracus

36 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

A remainer?  Yes of course.  I despise wall-building as exemplified by Brexiteers 'down here' and their Natter counterparts' up there'.  The latter would be marginally more palatable if they can get some sort of EU accession plan agreed prior to any possible new referendum.  If they can't and they try and wing it like last time then they are probably even worse than those favouring Brexit.

As for anti-Englishness?  Obviously for the Snipper in the street it's a part of everyday speech ad when he uses social media there is a long list of invectives against, for example, English people in Scotland who support the Union or Scots living in England who despise parochialism.

At a political level?  It starts with blaming Westminster and The Tories for everything and using auld deid Maggie as an Aunt Sally. Pretty much every independence-supporting politician thinks that Westminster is something done to them rather than something Scotland participates in.  The zenith of their anti-Englishness is bribing students not to go to Uni in England.  How parochial is that?  Natters boast of free Uni tuition but it's not really.  Students can access free tuition so long as they don't have the temerity to go to That England to study.  It's a pathetic attempt at social engineering and has 'insularity' stamped all over it.

You really don't get it. All our money goes to Westminster and we get pocket money minus our contributions to vanity projects that have no benefit to us. Why are we the only country in the world that can't take responsibility for ourselves and our spending. Why can't we be independent? Doing shite in a Union is not a good argument for wanting to stay in it

We spend 13 billion more than we take in. Cuts would have to be made in an independent Scoland. Would you cut money to the nhs, police, schools ? Maybe something else.

2 hours ago, ford prefect said:

The £13 billion he keeps rattling on about? emoji23.pngIt's from a set of figures that has the Celtic nation's portion of the debt as greater than the UK deficit. It's a report which should start "once upon a time...."[emoji23

Another Nationalist that can't read. The state of Scottish Education is depressing. 

Look up some of my previous posts when i link to a very clear and unambiguous blog by the Fraser and Allander institute which will deliver you a real "telt"