European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

The SNP have a clear enthusiasm advantage which should help them in low turnout elections. There were Indy supporters standing waving flags in the pishing rain on M8 flyovers on Saturday and you only need to read the cringey patter on here to see that they have football club level partisanship on a big scale.
They are trending down from 2015. They have went from 50% to 46.5% in 2016 to 37% in 2017 and 38% in 2019. Those are obviously still great numbers for a regular party but they are ominous for the prospect of Indyref2.

Unlike the Labour branch office?

How are they trending?

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Unlike the Labour branch office?

How are they trending?

Badly obviously but I believe they will do better in a GE campaign where the choice is between Labour or Tories.

They have the potential to pick up seats in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Inverclyde.

8 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Labour Party that I knew and loved died with John Smith, and the subsequent emergence of Tony Bliar.

As a wee btw just for you.

John Smith is buried on lovely Iona, as was his due being born in Argyll.

However all graves headstones there face towards the Argyll mainland, except for John Smith's which faces towards the island. 

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 minute ago, Detournement said:
Badly obviously but I believe they will do better in a GE campaign where the choice is between Labour or Tories.
They have the potential to pick up seats in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Inverclyde.

Want to put a bet on that?

Naw.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

About a third by all accounts. I don't think it's disputed. Some people think being truly independent means leaving Europe as well as the UK, and drifting off in the North Atlantic somewhere.

Yep, it was a third.

Heard Mike Russell say on the election coverage that private polling put it at a lot less now- although I’m not convinced he wasn’t just making that up on the spot as he was being pushed on it.

Edited by Londonwell

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

An H_B prediction? I’m sold.

25 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Inverclyde lol

It's not blind hatred I just get frustrated that so much political enthusiasm is wasted on a nationalist project going nowhere when it could be directed at genuine 21st century crises.
So what do you suggest. Continue to be subject to what England votes for? Or gain independence, then vote for a party of your choice who could make a difference.
No brainer to me.

If people want Independence that's fair enough but it surely doesn't have to be tied to the SNP's third way triangulation? On the one hand you have Sturgeon talking about a Green New Deal for Scotland while also backing the Growth Commision which would make it impossible yet no one seems to mind.

We have also have a phenomenon now where the most a lot of politically engaged people expect from Westminster is Blackford or Cherry "dishing out telts" at PMQs with almost zero interest in the fiscal and monetary policies that have a huge effect on Scotland and the rest of the UK. I could quite easily see a scenario where we are still waiting for Indyref2 in the middle of the next decade and it's 10 years down the shitter politically.

Class politics being subjugated to constitutional issues is a disaster and plays into the hands of the right.

22 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's not blind hatred I just get frustrated that so much political enthusiasm is wasted on a nationalist project going nowhere when it could be directed at genuine 21st century crises.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If people want Independence that's fair enough but it surely doesn't have to be tied to the SNP's third way triangulation? On the one hand you have Sturgeon talking about a Green New Deal for Scotland while also backing the Growth Commision which would make it impossible yet no one seems to mind.

We have also have a phenomenon now where the most a lot of politically engaged people expect from Westminster is Blackford or Cherry "dishing out telts" at PMQs with almost zero interest in the fiscal and monetary policies that have a huge effect on Scotland and the rest of the UK. I could quite easily see a scenario where we are still waiting for Indyref2 in the middle of the next decade and it's 10 years down the shitter politically.

Class politics being subjugated to constitutional issues is a disaster and plays into the hands of the right.

:lol:

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Corbyn is man apparently dedicated to solving '21st century crisis'.

Under his watch, the UK is swinging further to the right than has been in 3 generations. It's got so bad, that the far-right is effectively normalised. 

And Corbyn can do nothing about it. He's so ideologically blinded that he's forgotten that as a politician he actually needs power to change people's lifes.  We have the poorest, most ineffective group of politicians in living memory. It's horrendous.

There’s no way of avoiding the constitutional question either in Scotland or the UK and while it’s unfortunate for Corbynism that that’s the case I’m not sure they have any idea about how to respond to it. I still think, given the polling, that Labour could end up the largest party at WM but the idea of a election seems even more remote while Leonard and co up here don’t have any basic answers for how to respond to an SNP that should be open to sustained criticism.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

There’s no way of avoiding the constitutional question either in Scotland or the UK and while it’s unfortunate for Corbynism that that’s the case I’m not sure they have any idea about how to respond to it. I still think, given the polling, that Labour could end up the largest party at WM but the idea of a election seems even more remote while Leonard and co up here don’t have any basic answers for how to respond to an SNP that should be open to sustained criticism.

At the UK level i'm optimistic that there will be enough people who are worried about services, employment, housing, inequality etc that they can end up the largest party in WM.

In Scotland independence obviously runs a lot deeper than Brexit in England. The SNP will be dominant for a while. I don't think Scottish Labour can do much other than narrow their focus to 10-20 seats in the most working class areas of the central belt. Basically what the Lib Dems do for middle class country bumpkins but in post industrial areas.

Labour winning an election is nowhere near the conclusion to the fight they have on their hands. They’re going to be resisted and undermined relentlessly by the media, the civil services, and judging by past statements, the armed forces and the security services.