English Premier League 2019-20

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The reaction to this is absolutely mental. Ryan Mason and Fabrice Muamba getting involved in the ‘thoughts and prayers.’ 

It’s just a knock on the ankle ffs. 

Printed T Shirts all over the place next weekend IMO. 

I predict the Everton players warm up tracksuit to be adorned with his name and number for starters. 

11 hours ago, Kuro said:

Yes, those are kind of the rules of football.  Of course it was a deserved red card, as clear as you'll ever see.  No attempt to play the ball, just brings the man down deliberately, that's a red card.

11 hours ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Those kind of aren't the rules of football. A professional foul involves a defender fouling an attacking player in order to prevent them from scoring, or a handball offence that denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

Off you f**k Pep.

The reaction to this is absolutely mental. Ryan Mason and Fabrice Muamba getting involved in the ‘thoughts and prayers.’ 

It’s just a knock on the ankle ffs. 
It's a pretty horrible injury, but yeah, the reaction is waaaaaay OTT. "That was for you Andre" and 'rival' fans desperate for "Respect [emoji122]" are embarrassing.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A dangerous tackle is a red card, as defined in the laws of the game, and he also said it was that (which it was). He deliberately took out his opponent and that led directly to his injury.

Even when I was watching it live I thought "that's a bit wild, he might be lucky to stay on". If he had made a genuine attempt at the ball then fine, but he clearly didn't.

Do we not see players deliberately tripping opponents / "taking them out" in every single game that's on ?

Do 99% of these not result in a yellow card ??

There's absolutely no doubt that they reacted to the injury as opposed to the offence, however we shouldn't really be surprised as the English do not have a bloody clue when it comes to VAR..................

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Do we not see players deliberately tripping opponents / "taking them out" in every single game that's on ?

Do 99% of these not result in a yellow card ??

There's absolutely no doubt that they reacted to the injury as opposed to the offence, however we shouldn't really be surprised as the English do not have a bloody clue when it comes to VAR..................

Their statement confirms this.

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

That is a really sly, deliberate, misinterpretation of the laws in order to defend their referee. The comment suggests that any tackle which leads to serious injury should be a red card, which is nonsense. The use of the word 'initial' shows they know the tackle itself didn't directly injure him, which is an admission that they aren't judging the tackle but the outcome. I remember Henrik Larsson's leg break against Lyon, the Lyon defender clipped the back of Larsson's leg, it wasn't even a tackle, and his leg snapped. By the logic used here that should be a red card.

The law around 'endangering the safety of an opponent' should be interpreted by the referee making a decision on the likelihood of a serious injury being caused by the tackle. Diving in 2 footed on someone's knee is clearly doing this and will regularly result in serious damage, so is a red, regardless of whether it actually does cause injury. Tripping someone up like Son did would only ever do so with extreme bad luck in the aftermath, it is not a tackle that you could say would ever typically be dangerous to an opponent.

Atkinson obviously knew all this which is why he went to give a yellow. I think when he saw the injury he maybe doubted his initial decision and assumed the tackle must have been much worse than it was so changed his mind. The Premier League are now trying to help him out a bit.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Their statement confirms this.

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

That is a really sly, deliberate, misinterpretation of the laws in order to defend their referee. The comment suggests that any tackle which leads to serious injury should be a red card, which is nonsense. The use of the word 'initial' shows they know the tackle itself didn't directly injure him, which is an admission that they aren't judging the tackle but the outcome. I remember Henrik Larsson's leg break against Lyon, the Lyon defender clipped the back of Larsson's leg, it wasn't even a tackle, and his leg snapped. By the logic used here that should be a red card.

The law around 'endangering the safety of an opponent' should be interpreted by the referee making a decision on the likelihood of a serious injury being caused by the tackle. Diving in 2 footed on someone's knee is clearly doing this and will regularly result in serious damage, so is a red, regardless of whether it actually does cause injury. Tripping someone up like Son did would only ever do so with extreme bad luck in the aftermath, it is not a tackle that you could say would ever typically be dangerous to an opponent.

Atkinson obviously knew all this which is why he went to give a yellow. I think when he saw the injury he maybe doubted his initial decision and assumed the tackle must have been much worse than it was so changed his mind. The Premier League are now trying to help him out a bit.

Yes, it's all pretty pathetic, however this just fits in perfectly with their decision making process this season where they've been making fools of themselves and contradicting their own rules on a weekly basis. They really have lost the plot.

I can only assume that an attacker nudging a defender as he shepherds the ball out of play for a goal kick will now result in a straight Red when said defender falls into the advertising boards etc (as happens nearly every match) ????

On 04/07/2019 at 09:48, Moomintroll said:
On 04/07/2019 at 09:05, Rab B Nesbit said:
Frank Lampard confirmed as Chelsea Manager. 

End well, it will not.

On 04/07/2019 at 10:30, Savage Henry said:

Chelsea fans will lap it up. Which I guess is the point. He’ll get far longer than Sarri, despite being nowhere near as good at this stage.

On 04/07/2019 at 14:09, virginton said:

Chelsea's fans hounding out Sarri in favour of some one-season 'proper football man' charlatan like Lampard deserves to be punished with spectacular failure - plumbing around the relegation spots at Christmas when he gets sacked would do nicely. 

Then they can replace him with Terry and go down. 

On 04/07/2019 at 20:18, virginton said:

I didn't say it was the only reason he left but it's unquestionable that the fans played a major role in his departure. And now they've got Lampard, so hell mend them. 

On 05/07/2019 at 08:28, Jambomo said:

Imagine getting rid of Sarri and hiring Frank Lampard. Crazy.

Should make watching Chelsea a bit more enjoyable, when they are losing at home to Norwich and the players stop playing for him.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Folk slating Lampard because he's English and not some fancy abroad manager, if he was called Lampardinho yous would all be creaming over him, good to see him getting it right fucking up you 

2 hours ago, Oleksandr said:

Sari has the best player of all time, struggling with that, in a one team league. 

What are you, high?  Juventus are unbeaten in the league so far with 9 wins and 2 draws from 11 games are hardly struggling.  Just because Inter have also been playing well this season does not mean Juventus are struggling.

As for Chelsea dumping Sarri (who got a solid 3rd place only behind 2 brilliant teams) for Lampard, I will admit I was also skeptical of the appointment but credit to Lampard he is doing a very good job for them

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

What are you, high?  Juventus are unbeaten in the league so far with 9 wins and 2 draws from 11 games are hardly struggling.  Just because Inter have also been playing well this season does not mean Juventus are struggling.

As for Chelsea dumping Sarri (who got a solid 3rd place only behind 2 brilliant teams) for Lampard, I will admit I was also skeptical of the appointment but credit to Lampard he is doing a very good job for them

I'm not really sure he is. Seven wins in the league, 3 of which were against the bottom 3, 5 of which were against teams in the bottom 7. No wins against anyone higher than 8th in the table. By my reckoning one win against a top half side?

Lost to Manchester United twice, dropped points at home to Sheffield United, beaten at home by the side currently 13th in the Spanish league.

A bit early to say he's doing a good job I think. Long way for this season to go and Chelsea aren't doing the things they'll need to do to succeed.