Cove Thread

37 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I don't expect us to do much this season to be honest. What you say is far more likely to happen than us mounting any challenge near the top. 

Hartley first manager sacked in L1 won't happen though due to his father-in-law / ties to the club and the fact he got an eye watering 3.5 year contract.

McIntyre would have struggled in the second half of season due to injuries but his signings, both permanent and loans, were better than what Hartley managed in the main and he would have likely got us 8th.

Yeah I agree with most of those statements. God didn't realise that Hartley was on that length of contract so stupid for a lower league club in Scotland to give that sort of contract I knew he had relatives in the club but that's still incredibly stupid and probably shows that you won't sack him no matter what which I would be incredibly concerned by if I was a Cove fan.

2 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah I agree with most of those statements. God didn't realise that Hartley was on that length of contract so stupid for a lower league club in Scotland to give that sort of contract I knew he had relatives in the club but that's still incredibly stupid and probably shows that you won't sack him no matter what which I would be incredibly concerned by if I was a Cove fan.

Reckon it will take Sheeran to retire from his post before we see Hartley go. Can’t see any other clubs coming in for him after the Hartlepool carry on 

58 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Reckon it will take Sheeran to retire from his post before we see Hartley go. Can’t see any other clubs coming in for him after the Hartlepool carry on 

I agree with that too. He won't walk off his own accord.

His stock was high after 2 promotions in 3 years with us. It's completely crashed and hit the floor after contributing towards Hartlepool's relegation and guiding us from safety to automatic relegation in that space of 4 months. Needs something positive this season.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is that not really bad and what’s the sense in turning to a Full Time model when the books look like that? Am I missing something 

Pretty obvious but they aren't the only club relying on a rich chairman, As long as he doesn't get hit by a No 42 bus you'll be fine 

23 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

What are the people running Cove thinking. in a financial mess being part time in the championship and they decide to go FT in L1 and look very unlikely to get promoted either.  

They are clearly on a huge ego trip. I fear for your club if/when they walk away.

I assume though 130k loss in a year that erected two seated stands behind each goals is actually not bad. We were quoted a eyewatering amount for building one stand at the railway end so it doesn't necessarily surprise me.

Although, undoubtedly, a gamble to keep sucking on the sweet nectar that is the increased revenue of the Championship as long as you can stomach £400k-per-year deficits in League 1 you can join the Falkirk club. 

4 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I assume though 130k loss in a year that erected two seated stands behind each goals is actually not bad. We were quoted a eyewatering amount for building one stand at the railway end so it doesn't necessarily surprise me.

Although, undoubtedly, a gamble to keep sucking on the sweet nectar that is the increased revenue of the Championship as long as you can stomach £400k-per-year deficits in League 1 you can join the Falkirk club. 

The erection of stands is a capital expense and shouldnt be anywhere near the profit and loss account.

Although the fact the fixed assets are not significantly changed implies either that they've expensed it somehow or, more likely, didnt pay for them at all.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The erection of stands is a capital expense and shouldnt be anywhere near the profit and loss account.

Although the fact the fixed assets are not significantly changed implies either that they've expensed it somehow or, more likely, didnt pay for them at all.

The stands are temporary and it was my understanding that they are rented (OPEX). Someone at the club said they were at a golf event before we got them.  I have no idea how much they costing, how long we have them rented for and how much the erection of them was. They went up in days rather than weeks.

The cost to build permanent stands was extortionate due to inflated material costs around/post peak COVID and hence the the solution we now have. 

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

We definitely seem to be continuing to suck the sweet nectar. Our switch to full time won't be as costly as many think as it will be done in controlled manner. Still not cheaper but I doubt our PT model was either.

It's a difficult task to go for a steep rise from tier 5 and balance the books at the same time. I'm fine with us being in red IF there is a concrete plan to build the fan base, revenue streams and everything off the field etc to close the gap and get closer to sustainability.

When I say fine being in the red, not as much as we are currently, however, there are a consortium of directors and sponsors with money to fund us. None of the latter would have started the 5 year plan to be a Championship side knowing anything other than it will be a money pit for the foreseeable. At some stage that needs to change.

Not enough Cove fans to chip in with annual supplements or buying sections of the pitch.

Cove's 13th signing, I'm losing count, is 20 year old Northern Irish centre back Cameron Stewart on loan from Ipswich. 6ft 2 defender is well thought of Portman road.

Not much senior experience and know nothing about him. Don't think he even played a friendly for us. If it's anything like Hartley's previous loans he'll sit on the bench never to be seen.We'll be recruiting for child minders soon the squad is that young.

Supposedly we will sign a RB and a winger. Squad is bursting at the seams. We'll be loaning out a few soon I reckon 

Screenshot_2023-07-31-17-15-55-46_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

What twists and turns await us next I wonder.. Hartley rebuild continues 🤔

After reading the article I'd hazard a guess that Milo and the 16 year old keeper will join a local junior club. Gaffney will go to the HL or perhaps L2.

Hartley mentions the squad is inflated which is definitely apparent to all and some will go "out". I'm taking that as permanent exit. Given we only have a core of about 8 players left from last season, and not even Hartley could get rid of a summer recruit by August, it shouldn't be hard to guess who it will be. Naismith & Vigurs are the likely victims, or escapees, whichever way you want to view it given there immobility but please not anyone more important than than.

Screenshot_2023-08-04-11-50-42-29_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Cove's 19th signing this summer (including kids) and 29th since Hartley's return in January. Can't believe I'm typing that, utter madness, is another complete unknown and gamble from down south.

Seen him in a couple of friendlies. A bit of pace and an appetite to defend but I'm sure there wasn't a long list of clubs waiting to snap him up.

Screenshot_2023-08-07-19-10-02-79_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove's 19th signing this summer (including kids) and 29th since Hartley's return in January. Can't believe I'm typing that, utter madness, is another complete unknown, gamble from down south.

Seen him in a couple of friendlies. A bit of pace and an appetite to defend but I'm sure there wasn't a long list of clubs waiting to snap him up.

Feel like half the lower league signings have been on trial at livi first. Interesting the statement doesn’t state where he was before as even a google search doesn’t bring up much. 

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Feel like half the lower league signings have been on trial at livi first. Interesting the statement doesn’t state where he was before as even a google search doesn’t bring up much. 

Yeah Martindale working on a shoestring but can still smell shite, rightfully rejects them and passes them along to some other unfortunate sole.

This is Hartley repeating his antics when he was with you. You booted him, I doubt we will with any urgency.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah Martindale working on a shoestring but can still smell shite, rightfully rejects them and passes them along to some other unfortunate sole.

This is Hartley repeating his antics when he was with you. You booted him, I doubt we will with any urgency.

Not until after the Xmas dinner, that would be awkward. 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove's 19th signing this summer (including kids) and 29th since Hartley's return in January. Can't believe I'm typing that, utter madness, is another complete unknown and gamble from down south.

Yep looks like Falkirk mark II. Plus Hartley marked by his utter failure to sign anyone much at Hartlepool. He couldn’t get anyone in the door down there & the few he did from Scotland were miles out their depth in League Two.

29 players in 8 months is complete psychobilly stuff though. Absolutely hatstand. Be worried if Dennon Lewis hoves into view at the Balmoral.

Cove have been on the up for so long it’s strange to see them in such a mess. Expect Falkirk’s fans will enjoy their Saturday.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman