Cove Thread

30 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Hasn’t even got a Lowland League club, Johnstone Burgh apparently.

Doesn't surprise me much. As soon as you lose pace and can barely jog it's hard to compete without dropping levels down the pyramid. Some players have positional awareness, touch or creativity that allows them to bring something to the team but Naismith had no redeeming qualities.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

How did Williamson play yesterday? Was glad to see he got a goal.

Yeah he got his goal, hit the bar and looked threatening with his pace in behind. Should do very well for us I feel. My minor constructive criticism of him is he just needs to lift his head a bit and see what's around him.

Mitch's first game back and he linked very well with the aforementioned and Burrell. That 3 look potent at this level and could form a partnership.

30 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah he got his goal, hit the bar and looked threatening with his pace in behind. Should do very well for us I feel. My minor constructive criticism of him is he just needs to lift his head a bit and see what's around him.

Mitch's first game back and he linked very well with the aforementioned and Burrell. That 3 look potent at this level and could form a partnership.

Is Mitch still part time? I think his contract is expiring at the end of the season so I think he’s one SP will have an eye on with Rory getting on a bit.

48 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Is Mitch still part time? I think his contract is expiring at the end of the season so I think he’s one SP will have an eye on with Rory getting on a bit.

He is still part time. I heard someone say that none of the part time guys still under contract were offered a FT contract this summer. Not sure if that's true. Fyvie's contract was due to expire in June and went full time. 

Supposedly FT only next season but we need to make an exception for Mitch, Scully and Yule for as long as they are capable to play our level.

All 3 will be in demand next summer. Scully I think is contracted until 2025. Montrose or Peterhead the only likely destinations. Mitch is golfing buddies with Jordon Brown

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Myles Gaffney joins Highland League side Inverurie Locos on a season long loan

Screenshot_2023-08-24-21-26-01-16_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

That was a very weird signing from Cove in the first place considering he never got mentioned once when he was with us and I don't think he was even close to getting on the bench for us just seems like a random punt from Cove.

13 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

That was a very weird signing from Cove in the first place considering he never got mentioned once when he was with us and I don't think he was even close to getting on the bench for us just seems like a random punt from Cove.

Seems like an attempt at building a development pool of players. We've actually taken in 4 "youths" including Myles. The others being Milo Ochmanski (Aberdeen), Jack Robertson (Newmachar) and Mickey Milnes (Aberdeen). The latter 3 are 17/18.

It's a start and in my opinion a low risk strategy but needs to yield something over time. It's not easy with Aberdeen hoovering up all the young talent in the area.

Loan them out and if they improve with game time elsewhere maybe they get a sniff of first team action or play a part. If it turns into a merry go round of youth players getting released never been seen then it's wasted time. I don't expect we sell many that's for sure not like Accies do with some regularity.

Doubt it's a drain on finances as I've heard some are under a modern apprenticeship.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Seems like an attempt at building a development pool of players. We've actually taken in 4 "youths" including Myles. The others being Milo Ochmanski (Aberdeen), Jack Robertson (Newmachar) and Mickey Milnes (Aberdeen). The latter 3 are 17/18.

It's a start and in my opinion a low risk strategy but needs to yield something over time. It's not easy with Aberdeen hoovering up all the young talent in the area.

Loan them out and if they improve with game time elsewhere maybe they get a sniff of first team action or play a part. If it turns into a merry go round of youth players getting released never been seen then it's wasted time. I don't expect we sell many that's for sure not like Accies do with some regularity.

Doubt it's a drain on finances as I've heard some are under a modern apprenticeship.

It is a low risk strategy but it is unlikely to have a reward for it imo. Tbf I can't comment on the other 3 guys. However I was a bit surprised when i see you had signed Myles hopefully he proves me wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

It is a low risk strategy but it is unlikely to have a reward for it imo. Tbf I can't comment on the other 3 guys. However I was a bit surprised when i see you had signed Myles hopefully he proves me wrong. 

Yeah agree I don't have huge hopes of it becoming a roaring success but we're trying. If we can find a few Harry Milne's that would be tremendous and a success

Myles I have only seen a few moments of but if we have aspirations of playing in the Championship in the future I don't see him being part of it even if he does develop

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah agree I don't have huge hopes of it becoming a roaring success but we're trying. If we can find a few Harry Milne's that would be tremendous and a success

Myles I have only seen a few moments of but if we have aspirations of playing in the Championship in the future I don't see him being part of it even if he does develop

Yeah I think that's a fair statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Still early days but wonder if Cove model of full time should have waited until they got back to the championship. I think they could have attracted most the best part time players this season for a tittle challenge but instead have ended up with 3rd rate full time players. Was always going to be hard attract full time players when in league 1 but most these guys I can see in the National League in England in a few years. 
hopefully proven wrong but next few fixtures going be to be tight games 

Rumour around Balmoral yesterday is that the following players signed by Hartley this summer have been told they aren't good enough and should leave.

All 3 weren't present last week against Alloa and this weekend against Montrose. All 3 were trialists, all 3 were never good enough it must be said.

Dayshonne Golding, signed 21st July 2023, 1 year contract.

Jacob Jones, signed 21st July 2023, 2 year contract 

Rio Davidson-Phipps, signed 7th August 2023 , 1 year contract

How have we signed 3 players and within 6 weeks are looking to tear up there contracts?

We have 3 youths in our squad who are only about HL level and will be loaned out.

Vigurs hasn't been seen in 6 weeks and is negotiating his release.

With those 7 likely going and Kerr and Strachan long term injured we've gone from the biggest squad in the league to maybe 17 available players and looking short.

Hartley's weeks are now numbered. Chorus of boos at full time yesterday and many calling for his head towards the board in the stand.

The longer Hartley stays with you the closer you get to becoming Grenta 2.0 your board don't seem to have a clue either being part time in the championship but going full time in league 1 when it looks very unlikely that you will get promoted again anytime soon you can only afford to be full time in this league if you have a serious chance of getting promoted which Cove don’t at the moment as it's very unprofitable and clubs can only afford to do it for so long before serious financial problems happen if we don't get promoted in the next year or 2 then it's likely we'll end up part time. if you had just kept Jim McIntyre I honestly still think you guys would still be in the championship right now. We definitely wouldn't of finished above you last year. I've heard rumours in the past that Hartley isn't nice to his staff either godknows why any player would want to play for him hopefully when Cove do make the right decision whenever that is that it will be his last job in football 

27 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Rumour around Balmoral yesterday is that the following players signed by Hartley this summer have been told they aren't good enough and should leave.

All 3 weren't present last week against Alloa and this weekend against Montrose. All 3 were trialists, all 3 were never good enough it must be said.

Dayshonne Golding, signed 21st July 2023, 1 year contract.

Jacob Jones, signed 21st July 2023, 2 year contract 

Rio Davidson-Phipps, signed 7th August 2023 , 1 year contract

How have we signed 3 players and within 6 weeks are looking to tear up there contracts?

We have 3 youths in our squad who are only about HL level and will be loaned out.

Vigurs hasn't been seen in 6 weeks and is negotiating his release.

With those 7 likely going and Kerr and Strachan long term injured we've gone from the biggest squad in the league to maybe 17 available players and looking short.

Hartley's weeks are now numbered. Chorus of boos at full time yesterday and many calling for his head towards the board in the stand.

It’s really turned sour fast in past few years. Are the board likely to fire the trigger or with his connections is he in a safe place? Wouldn’t be surprised if Sheran walks too. 

If I was a cove fan I would definitely be seeing the challenge cup a serious bit of silverware they could challenge for out with the league. 

3 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

The longer Hartley stays with you the closer you get to becoming Grenta 2.0 your board don't seem to have a clue either being part time in the championship but going full time in league 1 when it looks very unlikely that you will get promoted again anytime soon you can only afford to be full time in this league if you have a serious chance of getting promoted which Cove don’t at the moment as it's very unprofitable and clubs can only afford to do it for so long before serious financial problems happen if we don't get promoted in the next year or 2 then it's likely we'll end up part time. if you had just kept Jim McIntyre I honestly still think you guys would still be in the championship right now. We definitely wouldn't of finished above you last year. I've heard rumours in the past that Hartley isn't nice to his staff either godknows why any player would want to play for him hopefully when Cove do make the right decision whenever that is that it will be his last job in football 

I’d say he’s definitely burnt his bridges in Scotland and England now after last season. Only reason he’s at cove is due to his connections. 

once they are shot of him his only real chance back in management will be with a basket case club and we all know how that ends. 

1 minute ago, Moorie said:

It’s really turned sour fast in past few years. Are the board likely to fire the trigger or with his connections is he in a safe place? Wouldn’t be surprised if Sheran walks too. 

If I was a cove fan I would definitely be seeing the challenge cup a serious bit of silverware they could challenge for out with the league. 

The state of our squad at the moment we would struggle against any Championship side and therefore we could have put a run together avoiding some of the bigger sides but the likelihood of getting to a final or winning anything was close to zero.

Bleeding goals since Hartley returned in January and so far this season it's been more of the same.

Hartley won't be allowed to continue this form for too much longer. The people funding us will enforce their power at some point. He's definitely in a favourable position with Sheran heavily involved. If Hartley gets emptied Sheran will leave too.

It's not just this season, Hartley royally f*cked it up last season and the fans, the ones that are continuing to come, are all on his back now.

2 minutes ago, Moorie said:

I’d say he’s definitely burnt his bridges in Scotland and England now after last season. Only reason he’s at cove is due to his connections. 

once they are shot of him his only real chance back in management will be with a basket case club and we all know how that ends. 

It would be a brave chairman that takes a chance on him. He's had 5 promotions which isn't to be forgotten but his stock is incredibly low.

Would definitely need to go down a league and rebuild his reputation from scratch.