Cove Thread

I wonder how much business will be done over the next few days. Unclear if the better trialists played on Saturday as the club seem to not acknowledge publicly that this game took place! By all accounts we were half decent in the second half although Rotherham seem to have played with a second 11. I guess the club are classing it as a ‘bounce game’. I wonder if we had beaten them what it would have been classed as. 

Pre season hasn’t been bad but we still desperately need a striker and a Centre Back. If Mitch or Fraser play the same amount of games as they did over the last 2 seasons then we will really struggle unless reinforcements are brought in but if we are not signing Grady or Quinn then it’s starting to seem a bit Dejavu fr last season. 

Interesting wee tidbit on the match preview (Match Preview) they posted for tomorrow saying there is still 4/5 more players to come in, so hopefully something comes from that.

Other things I am looking out for are

• New kit announcement
  • New stands announcement 
Edited by Jo9

9 hours ago, Jo9 said:

Interesting wee tidbit on the match preview (Match Preview) they posted for tomorrow saying there is still 4/5 more players to come in, so hopefully something comes from that.

Other things I am looking out for are

• New kit announcement
  • New stands announcement 

Couple of good signings today. Seems to be a few questioning Grady McGrath but with the little I know about football I’m really confident he will score a bucket load of goals at this level if he gets the service from Glass and Fraser. I’ve seen him a good few times before he came on loan and I’ve been banging on about him for a year or so. I really liked the ability and the balls into the box from Quinn who played on loan. If we get him we are starting to look good. Maybe really good but the defence still looks shaky AF in the middle. 

The new kit is just the same old story from last season. We must be getting a new one as none of the signings have been photographed in the old one. Probably nothing but I notice ACE haven’t sponsored any players this season. Maybe reading too much into the rumours (which I don’t do anymore 🤣🤣) disappointing as so many folk buy a new strip for their holidays and kids for the summer and other clubs at our level make a big deal about their kit release. Arbroath for example make it into a big event and sell a rake of shirts. The club just does not help themselves with stuff like this as they probably make FA out of shirt sales. My boy keeps on asking me when the shirt is out and it’s like an episode of 321 for older readers 🤣. It’s a promotional thing, the more kids who wear them the more might come along to game to be with their pals. Just look at Peterhead….. 

We chuckle about all the drama about stands on the supporters FB page, but so many folk are waiting to see what’s happening. You can’t just announce it and then sweep it under the carpet. There has been nothing official from the club to my knowledge? 

I would probably go regardless but some people need an experience, they want to be able to buy merch at the ground, they want a bit of shelter, it’s not too much to ask really to let people know what’s happening. 

With regards to the strips.  I actually would prefer a NFL style model in football where the new home and away strips are not released every season and stick around longer, release a third one every season for the novelty.   Although saying that I am sure even with a longer cycle we would still be delayed.   If the ACE pulling out rumours are true and they have pulled out to get a box at Aberdeen instead, it doesn’t feel like much of a loss, sounds like they have done the same at other clubs before.  The only thing I will miss is Terry doing some fan blackmail and sticking money behind the bar now and then.

I am sure I read somewhere or was told that the plan was to have the new stands in by this winter, just had to go read the original statement about them and to be fair to the club they didn’t actually specify a time frame for getting them built.  

Once they are built they will hopefully improve the overall experience,  but I know what you mean about getting merch, no idea why they haven’t bothered with the merch van, well I have a suspicion that they couldn’t get anyone to man it.   But my main complaint about the match day will always be the walking surface itself not the lack of Stands or merch shop. 

26 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

With regards to the strips.  I actually would prefer a NFL style model in football where the new home and away strips are not released every season and stick around longer, release a third one every season for the novelty.   Although saying that I am sure even with a longer cycle we would still be delayed.    

I wouldn’t disagree. It’s become part of football tho and I guess you get a slightly better mark up if you agree to a yearly cycle. I worked in John Lewis when I was a student and the mark up on sportswear was dreadful then and can’t see it being much better now. To me it’s endemic of the way the club is run. It’s corporate first and everything else second. That’s fine but it’s doing nothing to attract any new potential fans.

I’m totally convinced if we want to become established we have to do better to get bums on seats. We are way behind every other club in this division when it comes to fan interaction. If we have designs on the Championship, corporate won’t substain that in the long term. No club can survive and progress without a growing core support if you are starting with a small base. 

Agree on the stands but it would be simple to update the fans to avoid 3 folk not renewing to watch the dross that’s being served up down at Spain Park. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

53 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Couple of good signings today. Seems to be a few questioning Grady McGrath but with the little I know about football I’m really confident he will score a bucket load of goals at this level if he gets the service from Glass and Fraser. I’ve seen him a good few times before he came on loan and I’ve been banging on about him for a year or so. I really liked the ability and the balls into the box from Quinn who played on loan. If we get him we are starting to look good. Maybe really good but the defence still looks shaky AF in the middle. 

The new kit is just the same old story from last season. We must be getting a new one as none of the signings have been photographed in the old one. Probably nothing but I notice ACE haven’t sponsored any players this season. Maybe reading too much into the rumours (which I don’t do anymore 🤣🤣) disappointing as so many folk buy a new strip for their holidays and kids for the summer and other clubs at our level make a big deal about their kit release. Arbroath for example make it into a big event and sell a rake of shirts. The club just does not help themselves with stuff like this as they probably make FA out of shirt sales. My boy keeps on asking me when the shirt is out and it’s like an episode of 321 for older readers 🤣. It’s a promotional thing, the more kids who wear them the more might come along to game to be with their pals. Just look at Peterhead….. 

We chuckle about all the drama about stands on the supporters FB page, but so many folk are waiting to see what’s happening. You can’t just announce it and then sweep it under the carpet. There has been nothing official from the club to my knowledge? 

I would probably go regardless but some people need an experience, they want to be able to buy merch at the ground, they want a bit of shelter, it’s not too much to ask really to let people know what’s happening. 

Of course only head along when Aberdeen are away as it’s only a 10 minute from mine but not sounding like a spoilt child here but won’t be heading along until the stand goes in. I’ve got an autistic son so the chances of him standing for 90mins are limited at least when he sits he has his paper to draw and his switch to keep him amused when he drifts out from the game. Plus my dad tags along who is 68 with a stick so no way he can stand. The main stand is a nightmare to get tickets for sadly. Will be heading down to banks o Dee until it’s built. Fingers crossed for winter time. Unsure how that will work with health and safety. 

can’t work out how your away to play your first completive game with no new strip. If ace have pulled out surely must be waiting for the deal to end so shirt can be released?  As you say people on holiday and want to wear it also been asked by the loon for it. Everyone else at his football in man city and inter Miami and he rocks up with a cove top  

The Stands thing really does amuse me, I get @Moories position with his family etc because that is a fair and logical point that ties into the whole match day experience not being the best.

But some of the stuff flying about there with phoning architects (if they even did) and trying to get the gossip there was just hilarious.  I am not massively in need for an update as I usually prefer standing down the sides or will go into the chicken shed if needed, but once they are built I may use them.   After trudging through the mud of course.

It’s easy to update the fans tho rather than it turning into a he said she said on Facebook. I couldn’t imagine 2 construction sites going on at the same time in the winter in an operational football stadium so someone from the club officially needs to say what’s going on as it affects a lot of ST renewals. 

Anyway let’s hope we can avoid these monsoon showers that are predicted this afternoon and get the season off to a winning start tonight!! 

I think the problem is, if they have nothing to update the fans with but put out a we have no update update, that will probably cause more grumbling.  I feel for them at times as I am one of the first to say they need to improve their comms, but I also know people will just never be happy no matter what they do.   

If they and the contractor plan it right, I can't see there being too much disruption to the matches.  With regards to ST renewals, might just be a case of them having to accept that some people wont renew until the work is completed, but if they get the new stands done on time they can flog some half season renewals with the same enthusiasm they flog the corporate.

I am looking forward to tonight's match, the forecast isn't looking overly promising but will be good to see the team in a competitive match to get a proper idea of how the season is going to go, if we are lucky they may even treat us to having the pie shop open!

Be interesting to see a what Cove  paid for him & b how he gets on. Its a big step up from the HFL we have Shanks who went from Locos to Arbroath for a decent fee but did not get much of a chance, has now found his feet with us at Peterhead unfortunately looks like he could be out for a while after breaking his collar bone on Sat. That leaves us short up front and did wonder if McGrath may have neen an option but good luck to him at Cove. Going by comments on here the hard standing at Cove is still a mess should have got some the navies that do drives to tar it as if wet it is like porridge

It's a step up for Grady undoubtedly. Make or break for his future possibly.

By no means a certainty he's prolific although with Fyvie and Glass providing he should get chances.

Whether he can get anywhere near to Mitch in his prime for us remains to be seen.

As it stands right now we've got two relatively short and very similar penalty box strikers. I'm not convinced that's a successful partnership but loved to be proven wrong.

Does Grady signing for us pave the way for Mitch to sign for Peterhead next season? @peternapper

Whilst Jordon and Ryan are in charge it's got to happen at some point for me.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

What's the mooted layout for the new stands? Those previous golf style stands with the tarp roofs and number of pillars last time were horrific.

Edit: https://coverangersfc.com/2024/02/27/balmoral-stadium-update/

See those plans are online from February. Woulda been better with terracing but are clubs allowed to add terracing now?

Edited by Benidorm

Hartleys 2nd spell in charge continues the same way as the previous 18 months...A defence which is truly horrific. 

Spartans looked far the better side, more ideas, far more progressive and Cammy Russell was a real standout. 

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hartleys 2nd spell in charge continues the same way as the previous 18 months...A defence which is truly horrific. 

Spartans looked far the better side, more ideas, far more progressive and Cammy Russell was a real standout. 

Have to agree about Spartans, a lot will get lost in our sides reaction to the game, but they were the better side and deserved the win.  Were utterly cutthroat 

If that is a sign of things to come I hope the rumours of Hartley getting a contract extension if he gets into the top 5 are proved as worthless as the CR Smith rumours. 

I see that Mr Cobban has checked himself into Banks o Dee. I doubt he’s threes to use the gym.

looks like he’s off then