Cove Thread

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

So...£2m in debt and a board that shuts down any conversation about debt...yet Jo9 doesn't hear any alarms going off. Each to their own, lads, I hope it ends well for you.

Perhaps it’s because in the last few seasons we have to finance a move to full time, whether that was successful or not is a different story and fund the rental of temporary stands that from the sounds of it were a money pit.

it doesn’t surprise me that we have probably had to borrow to make those things happen.  If that amount continues to grow over the next few years then that is when I start to worry.

But right now the wages are getting paid, matches are being run, and based on the supporters club meeting I was at and hearing Keith’s plans for the future I have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Jo9

48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

So...£2m in debt and a board that shuts down any conversation about debt...yet Jo9 doesn't hear any alarms going off. Each to their own, lads, I hope it ends well for you.

The board doesn’t shut it down they just won’t say anything. There are some very credible O&G business people on our board and there is a way of doing things in corporate Aberdeen that doesn’t involve sharing bad news or sharing anything that doesn’t need sharing! These boys just follow that rule. Jo9 I feel is correct in thinking that there isn’t anything to get concerned about as things stand today with what we know factually but it’s no secret the club is heavily reliant on one or two individuals and we will probably never be party to the falling out that’s led to our sponsor leaving the club. My hope is that this doesn’t increase the burden on the club. What I would add is that the debt issue was there before we started this rather fractious and dare I say questionable journey to Full Time football. The shutting down is mainly done by a small group of lifelong fans who tend to do it in a rather passive aggressive way thats understandable when it’s bile but stiffles the sort of engagement and debate that new fans want to buy into. Im in my 60’s now, I go games for business and social reasons like the others that sit round me but most of us can see that the clubs engagement with supporters is a major issue that’s been a problem for a while. For example just tell people what’s happening with the stands rather than let your new club sponsor get into a spat on social media. It made no one look good and season ticket sales have suffered. Shutting any debate down has then created a counter group of nasty trolls online and others who revel in gathering round the dugout to scream abuse at the manager when the slightest thing goes wrong. Never a dull moment at the Balmoral!

Edited by Bieldside Boy

An annoying and frustrating loss. Definitely feels like Mitch doesn’t deserve the captains armband if in his first game back he is getting multiple cards for mouthing off.

On to the next game.

From the outside looking in (haven't been to Balmoral since 2019 and really haven't properly watched Cove since the Allan Park HL days), I don't understand the rush to full time football. The fanbase isn't there (and probably never will be given the complete lack of engagement), the club always relies on a small number of benefactors and most importantly it seems to be leaving the club with a poorer quality of player than when it was purely part time.

Surely it would make more sense to be going for better quality in the part time market than the worst of the full time pool of players available.

Also, Paul Hartley really would be gone if not for the John Sheran link.

10 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I don't understand the rush to full time football. The fanbase isn't there (and probably never will be given the complete lack of engagement).

What’s forgotten is we were VERY close to staying up in the Championship, we were better than Hamilton and Arbroath for much of that season. The board would have looked at how easily we brushed aside the likes of Falkirk the previous year and thought by going full time if we did get back up we might have a better chance of staying up. Seemed like a good idea at the time …….. unfortunately key players moved on and have never been replaced. We can’t afford the quality of player we used to attract on Part Time contracts on a Full Time wage. If we continue to stagnate it’s a major problem. The crowd didn’t look amazing today but it’s still the holidays, people seemingly aren’t renewing season tickets and the engagement with the support remains poor. Corporate looked reasonably busy but a lot of well kent faces were not in attendance and it’s difficult to replace those. The Director of Football didn’t give the manager a long contract that the club would have to pay off all by himself and he will be here till his contract ends unless things go severely wrong. Based on today’s performance I suspect the Dons prospects will ensure that we are competitively mid table at worst and that won’t happen. 

Edited by Bieldside Boy

30 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Raith punting their manager after one game will be giving some Cove fans fuel for the Hartley out shouts.

Pointless, he is going nowhere till it costs the club nothing to get rid of him we have been through all of that. Not entirely his fault when players don’t want to sign FT and very few want to up sticks up here. What has changed is the number who want him out has probably tipped over the 50/50 mark. They should save their energy. 

5 minutes ago, Bieldside Boy said:

Pointless, he is going nowhere till it costs the club nothing to get rid of him we have been through all of that. Not entirely his fault when players don’t want to sign FT and very few want to up sticks up here. What has changed is the number who want him out has probably tipped over the 50/50 mark. They should save their energy. 

Agreed, I am not his biggest fan, but he’s here for a while yet, and I couldn’t see him resigning.

He did say at the meeting it’s difficult to get players to move up here and to be honest if I was a young player would I be wanting to up sticks or spend most of my life on the A90? Probably not, there are some that will but it’s just going to be a case of finding them.

Might have been a period where I would have been one of the more vocal ones, but all it did was rile me up and get me angry about all things Cove.  Now it’s make the most of the situation and just try and enjoy what I can about the match etc.

1 hour ago, citydiehard said:

Heard you guys sending Grady out on loan to Banks of Dee,seems a waste of a signing if true,is he out of his depth in division 1 ,that you need to loan him out.

Gaffney I could understand but Grady this early would be a shock.

Mitch is prone to suspension or niggly injuries so unless we're taking in 1 or 2 further strikers (loans I'd imagine) then I couldn't see it happening.

Saying that if the Bavidge rumour turns out to be true then he would be ahead of Grady who would then be 3rd choice. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Oooh be careful as the rumour police will come for you 🤣……

I would be staggered if he goes out on loan if we paid a fee for him, he showed enough in the preseason games that he is above Gaffney in the pecking order and surely he is the future, can’t imagine there is much to be gained loaning him to BOD. Maybe loan Gaffney to BOD? 

Not convinced Bavidge is nailed on to come here. Are we allowed to loan 3 players from the same club? I would have thought they would have wanted him to get some Championship experience? Of course I would be delighted if he did. 

Hopefully a CB and another striker arrive this week, we don’t really want anymore departures. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

20 hours ago, Bieldside Boy said:

What’s forgotten is we were VERY close to staying up in the Championship, we were better than Hamilton and Arbroath for much of that season. The board would have looked at how easily we brushed aside the likes of Falkirk the previous year and thought by going full time if we did get back up we might have a better chance of staying up. Seemed like a good idea at the time …….. unfortunately key players moved on and have never been replaced. We can’t afford the quality of player we used to attract on Part Time contracts on a Full Time wage. If we continue to stagnate it’s a major problem. The crowd didn’t look amazing today but it’s still the holidays, people seemingly aren’t renewing season tickets and the engagement with the support remains poor. Corporate looked reasonably busy but a lot of well kent faces were not in attendance and it’s difficult to replace those. The Director of Football didn’t give the manager a long contract that the club would have to pay off all by himself and he will be here till his contract ends unless things go severely wrong. Based on today’s performance I suspect the Dons prospects will ensure that we are competitively mid table at worst and that won’t happen. 

Thanks for coming back min, much appreciated to add context.

It seems the club are going to stick with FT for the reasons you outlined about trying to sustain in the Championship, but feels like instinctively going back PT would bring in a better quality of player.

Holiday time will usually impact the early crowds but it does seem like a drop off. However given the crowds are still probably treble some of those I was part of back in the day at Allan Park, there may not be too much concern from more experienced board members.

Hopefully yesterday was a blip and things can push on a bit after a couple of difficult seasons.

7 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Are we allowed to loan 3 players from the same club? I would have thought they would have wanted him to get some Championship experience? 

If my memory serves me right it’s 3 max from one club and 5 in total Scotland.  

6 hours ago, Bieldside Boy said:

We struggled for years to get players to come up North. Only recently the tied has changed on that front but that will be 100 times harder for cove to attract the Type of full time player they are looking at. Especially when you are competing with mid table and even Lower championship teams who are more likely based in the central belt.

Perhaps not a surprise to many Cove fans but Dajon was saying in our official club podcast that he considered giving up football at the end of last season due to how he was treated at Cove.

41 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Perhaps not a surprise to many Cove fans but Dajon was saying in our official club podcast that he considered giving up football at the end of last season due to how he was treated at Cove.

Not a good look at all.

Hopefully its just a one off incident where player and club did not gel at all, but I doubt it.

18 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

17 year old Jack Robertson (GK) joins Huntly on loan it appears. No communication from Cove media.

I think they heard you.

6 hours ago, afca32 said:

Perhaps not a surprise to many Cove fans but Dajon was saying in our official club podcast that he considered giving up football at the end of last season due to how he was treated at Cove

Dajon was a real gentleman and actually only wanted to play football. He would come to Cove games when he was at Spain Park and did everything he could to get back in favour. Some of our fans don’t like rumours and others don’t like home truths but it was common knowledge he was poorly treated and I’m not the one to elaborate. I feel for supporters coming into the club as it’s managed in a way no other league club is. He isn’t the first and he won’t be the last. 

Edited by Bieldside Boy

Luke Strachan mutually terminates his contract.

That's the 14th player to leave us this summer.

A long term injury followed by a loan stint at Brechin meant we hardly seen him ay Balmoral. Interested to see where he goes next.

Screenshot_20240809_202831_X.jpg