Cove Thread

7 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

How many of those dumplings Hartley signed in the summer have been punted already?

Dayshonne loaned out, Rio not seen in 6 weeks, Miles Gaffney loaned out to Locos so 3 of his 20 summer signings punted already. Think Jacob Jones was very close to be shown the door.

All 10 of his January signings were gone by August.

Vigurs hasn't been seen since mid July.

It's mayhem under Hartley.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

57 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Dayshonne loaned out, Rio not seen in 6 weeks, Miles Gaffney loaned out to Locos so 3 of his 20 summer signings punted already. Think Jacob Jones was very close to be shown the door.

He wouldn’t be so if it was his money 

On 14/10/2023 at 12:33, CoveRangers1922 said:

Man bun continues his Scottish fitba journey further by going out on loan to Highland League Banks o Dee.

Screenshot_2023-10-14-12-04-34-02_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I know it’s a fair difference highland league from league 1 but he seems to hit the ground running with BOD. Real test will be against the top teams in the league see how well he does. A case not fancied by Hartley or a fallen out? 

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

I know it’s a fair difference highland league from league 1 but he seems to hit the ground running with BOD. Real test will be against the top teams in the league see how well he does. A case not fancied by Hartley or a fallen out? 

2 in 2 games. My mate was at the Locos game, his debut from the bench, and he said Golding looked dangerous against that level, which you would expect.  Agreed, can he keep that run going and be a standout against the bigger teams in the league. At least he's playing which will help him in his career which I think is all but finished with us. Must have been a bust up with Hartley.

For context Mitch got 49 and 52 goals in all competitions in our title winning seasons.

BOD don't need much strengthening to be a title challenger. This year is likely too soon but they could, and I think will, push for it the year after. Won't be too long before they have some of our PT players in my opinion. Might come via Peterhead but they will end up there.

With the Lowland league getting ever stronger it's almost another step up again to win the playoff semi.

I was at Harlaw last night and Josh Peters looked different class in front of goal. 

So many ex-Don under 18's on display for Buckie and Locos last night, likes of Jack MacIver, Max Berry, Lloyd Robertson and others. Humbling to be around the Aberdeen setup, released and then they are likely playing for couple of hundred quid a week, PT and in tier 5 with no little prospect in sight.

Promotion from the HL is so tough and with only Aberdeen and us FT in the local area it's incredibly difficult to make a forward step for these guys. 

If they are good enough there are scouts every where. There is a big difference from playing in HL to full time fitba. That said the HL is a good platform to get game time and bridge the gap between full time Youth fitba and professional fitba.

On 14/10/2023 at 13:19, CoveRangers1922 said:

Rio not seen in 6 weeks

I’m reliably informed he turns up for the gym sessions they have started at PureGym. Seems bizarre. 

Would be great if the club kept us up to date on the comings and goings but they choose to pump out a Hypernormalised alternative reality where Paul Hartley is loved and adored, a master tactician and the envy of clubs across Europe. 

On 14/10/2023 at 13:19, CoveRangers1922 said:

Deja vous for Falkirk fans here! Crazy he’s been allowed to do this again to another club. 

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Deja vous for Falkirk fans here! Crazy he’s been allowed to do this again to another club. 

Well he gets away unchecked by a sadly larger than it should be element of our fans who live in an altered reality where it’s ‘little wee Cove’ who were only playing Lossiemouth last Tuesday night in the HL League cup 3rd round replay and ‘oh how we laughed’.  

They forget ‘little wee Cove’ have probably spent more money in the last 3 years than almost all other L1/2 clubs with almost zilch returning in fees. But anything to not rock the boat …..

19 minutes ago, Girth said:

How's Lord Paul of McGowan doing chaps?

I'm not his biggest fan in all honesty. He's struggling to make any impact, age is catching up and his energy levels aren't quite there. Fortunately for him he's Hartley's mate.

If we can recruit another midfielder worth his coin he'll be benched. Yule and Scully better options in the middle than him but there are being forced out wide given our limited options and no recognised wingers.

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm not his biggest fan in all honesty. He's struggling to make any impact, age is catching up and his energy levels aren't quite there. Fortunately for him he's Hartley's mate.

If we can recruit another midfielder worth his coin he'll be benched. Yule and Scully better options in the middle than him but there are being forced out wide given our limited options and no recognised wingers.

Shame. Fyvie doing okay though?

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

How are Josh Kerr and Kyle Connell getting on? Connell doesn't look to be amongst the goals whenever I check the League 1 scores unfortunately. 

Kerr (I thought) had a bit of presence about him before he got injured and seemed to have something about him. I’ve high hopes that he is returning to a side that is starting to look really good now our experienced players are coming back and I think there is still room for him.

I REALLY like Kyle as well although he seems to have very slightly regressed as our experienced players have returned. I still think he could do a job as an out and out striker one day. He has a bright future with us if he continues his trajectory. Can hit a great dead ball and the throw is worth it’s weight and his attitude is spot on. 

18 hours ago, airdrieman said:

How are Josh Kerr and Kyle Connell getting on? Connell doesn't look to be amongst the goals whenever I check the League 1 scores unfortunately. 

Josh Kerr as all Diamonds fans are well aware is prone to an injury and rarely plays over half the games in any season and it's going to continue with us.

From what I've seen of him, he's vocal, got leadership qualities, can play CB or holding midfield so is versatile. He's got enough about him to be an asset for us in L1 so happy enough with him signing.

I still think we'll try to recruit better in January in his two favoured positions. If successful his game time could be limited. If not, he will do a job for us.

Connell was free scoring in pre-season but then dropped in favour of Mitch, Burrell and Williamson and when Fyvie returned about 6 weeks ago we reverted to a modified 4-4-2 and that's lessened his chances of getting a start even further. Must say Mitch hasn't set it alight this far and has lost half a yard of pace. He'll still get goals in L1 no doubt and should start for us but is he waning before our eyes a bit or will find some resurgence.

Kyle's 4th choice striker. Is he really an out and out striker? I don't feel he's got the physical attributes for that and see him as more of a wide attacker with a long throw. Granted is a decent finisher.

The main problem is that our utterly inept manager is NEVER prepared to take a chance or invest in youth. Meggy will still be playing at 45 if Hartley thought he had a chance of scoring. It’s the WORST sort of short term management possible.

Kyle Connell Is exactly the type of player we need to replace some of the old guard who have been amazing servants but their time is limited. Hartley can’t see that. His intelligence is limited to the micro short term. Keep the in-laws happy, 1 point rather than loose 3. As long as we don’t get humped and you don’t win anything with kids. It’s depressing and must be soul destroying for the potential we have on the bench vs the tried and tested coming to the very end of their careers. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod