The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Regal's promo was class. Also Mox and Danielson kicking f**k out of tag teams will be great fun.

Think MJF will cost Wardlow his shot next week which will ultimately lead to them fighting in a match where Wardlow gets released from his contract should he win. 

Surely Hangman's next challenger for the title is Punk? Dare it be said, but Page's title reign has been a bit meh. The chase was outstanding, but too often he doesn't feel like a main focus of shows. Although a feud with CM Punk would probably turn a lot of the crowd against him. Who else is there for his next big challenger for the next PPV (or big TV event)? 

Is Alex Abrahantes the most irritating and cringey wee flange in AEW? Yes, yes he is. Get this silly tit binned.

Edited by DA Baracus

Hangman has been a victim of timing, after a great build. Omega bascially had Moxley as a legit Main Event challenger, and most weeks all eyes were on him, the invasion of Impact etc, don callis and their bus,  while there was a lot of really good other stuff going on (inner circle feud with pinnacle, tag titles were always brilliant matches etc) he tended to be the main focus.

For me it feels the main focus for weeks has been Punk / MJF / Wardlaw, Mox / Danielson, and in fact in the run up to the Cole match there was more interest in the bucks / redragon issues than cole v page.

I dont see where they go next with Page, in terms of heels there's not much left at the moment that could legitimately challenge. Malachi Black seems tied up with death triangle, which pretty much leaves MJF, but he's coming off of a lose to punk. Would Punk take a run at the title, as I was under the impression he wasnt interested in the belt, just helping push the younger talent.

It's always a bit harder to book a babyface champion. Moxley benefited from having random monsters thrown at him as challengers. The Butcher even got a World Title match despite never having a singles match prior to that (Danielson would be furious if he found that out).

Danielson was kind of the problem. If Hangman had Mox or Miro as the first challenger we never would have had the 60 minute draw and rematch. The Cole feud may have started earlier and worked out better with some extra time devoted to it.

Punk looks to be the next major challenger for a PPV. He was talking about the World Title in the post match press conferences. I think that's why they might be leaning into a more "heelish" Hangman. Not so much a turn but a guy that goes all out to keep the title. As Punk is going to get more love from a Double or Nothing crowd I would have thought.

Wardlow is just ripping with potential.

Amazing that WWE passed up on him as he legit has everything going for him. He's also a surprisingly good talker, far better than Batista - who he is often compared to - was at this stage in proceedings. You look at someone like Bron Breaker (who is also a massive star in the making) and you could easily stick Wardlow in that category as well. At 34, he's got a minimum of 8 or so peak years in front of him.

On 11/03/2022 at 23:24, djchapsticks said:

Wardlow is just ripping with potential.

Amazing that WWE passed up on him as he legit has everything going for him. He's also a surprisingly good talker, far better than Batista - who he is often compared to - was at this stage in proceedings. You look at someone like Bron Breaker (who is also a massive star in the making) and you could easily stick Wardlow in that category as well. At 34, he's got a minimum of 8 or so peak years in front of him.

Only if he smiles more...🙃

The thumbtack spots are becoming so frequent that the danger isn't appreciated. Decent match but the original cage setup AEW used was better. Having the smaller ring so that weapons could be used during the cage match was a bit daft. What was stopping Baker's two stooges from hiding under the ring?

Do they have a WWE style marketing deal with some hardware store or something?  I think every AEW show I've watched has had thumbtacks involved in some way.  Cool and all, but surely those kinds of things are better for escalation not just "oh, we've got to do the thumbtacks spot now"

I'd say blading in general needs to calm down a bit.  I think WWE go too far with it, but it does add a certain bit of excitement when you do see blood in WWE because it's probably been done hardway.  Of course that's not the perfect situation, as I think a good blade job can really add to situations, but should be careful not to overdo and desensitise.  Like a lot of high spots I guess.

I think that's the reason I can't get into AEW fully despite some cracking individual matches, but it's just always escalated to death defying moves and people are fine the next week as if nothing ever happened. It needs to tone it down quite drastically. The amount of crazy acrobatic high spots are over the top and don't serve much purpose most of the time.

There's too many overused things in wrestling in general. Blood is one of them, although Stellaboz mentions some others. Fucking suicide dives/topes can be binned now. So overused. The worst is probably the spot where loads of folk are all milling around waiting for someone to jump off something high on to them. It looks so shit and makes the guys waiting around look like absolutely morons, especially when they look up at the jumper for ages and then all spill like bowled skittles. I think that one has died down a bit thankfully. The dives will die out as well, but probably not for a while yet. Something else will come along though that everyone will use.

Spots have their moment, but they need to not be overplayed. CM Punk vs MJF in a dog collar bout is a match that suits blood. Hangman Page vs Adam Cole is not.  In story context Thunder Rosa vs Brit Baker made sense to have blood. Thumbtacks I'm not so sure about.

If I was booking a company I'd tell all the talent that you get, say, 10 times a year to have blood. Not per wrestler, but for the entire promotion, including both TV and PPV. If you want your match to feature it, make your case. If you do it anyway you get fined and that's one less occasion your colleagues get to use the blood. 

I'd say the same for something like thumbtacks, but only 5 times a year. 

And so on.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Spots have their moment, but they need to not be overplayed. CM Punk vs MJF in a dog collar bout is a match that suits blood. Hangman Page vs Adam Cole is not.  In story context Thunder Rosa vs Brit Baker made sense to have blood. Thumbtacks I'm not so sure about.

If I was booking a company I'd tell all the talent that you get, say, 10 times a year to have blood. Not per wrestler, but for the entire promotion, including both TV and PPV. If you want your match to feature it, make your case. If you do it anyway you get fined and that's one less occasion your colleagues get to use the blood. 

I'd say the same for something like thumbtacks, but only 5 times a year. 

Don't think Hangman v. Cole drew blood. Minor miracle as Hangman can be so easily busted open.

Have they done the thumbtacks spot more than 5 times in the past year?

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Don't think Hangman v. Cole drew blood. Minor miracle as Hangman can be so easily busted open.

Have they done the thumbtacks spot more than 5 times in the past year?

I thought Hangman got a bit. Maybe mixed it up with one of the other multiple times he's bled!

Not sure on the thumbtacks. It didn't help that it was close to the Punk/MJF match who also used it.