The AEW Thread

TheGoon

66ADE183-A4B8-45C0-8EAD-C0C1A66F1A1C.jpeg

Winter has arrived then (quite literally as it’s meant to be freezing cold in the building for this)

Decent looking card but the main event is obviously the bread and butter. Most I’ve looked forward to a match in a long time, and I can’t call it either which is great.

AEW World Championship
Jon Moxley (Champion) vs. Kenny Omega

TNT Champion Darby Allin and Cody Rhodes vs. Ricky Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs

Dynamite Diamond Battle Royal

Chris Jericho vs. Frankie Kazarian

Dr. Britt Baker vs. Leyla Hirsch

Edited by TheGoon

Moxley vs Omega isn't finishing clean. I think whoever attacked Moxley is going to get involved somehow. Not too sure who it could be, makes sense to be the Young Bucks but with their current storyline with Top Flight and TH2 I don't think it will be them. 

FTR to side with Kenny? 

7 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

That was one of the best returns/debuts I've ever seen. Nobody, absolutely nobody saw that coming. His theme is awesome too. 

When wrestling is done right, there isn't any other form of entertainment that comes close. Wow. 

I thought it was Shaq at first after the tease they done a few weeks ago. Went a bit mental when I saw Sting appear on screen. 

I'm guessing Omega hooks up with the Good Brothers. Maybe have Omega & Good Bros. v. Page & Youngbucks at some point. Since part of the break up of the Elite was Page not trusting the Youngbucks.

EDIT: Guessing it was just the lighting, but it made Sting look like he had grey hair. The slow mo walk around and not chasing off Team TAZ just made me feel like it was Old Man Sting. I just wasn't feeling it.

And Shida gets to cut a promo only to be scared off a falling broom off camera 🙄

I know those are two nitpicks, but I actually really enjoyed the show overall. Those are very minor. I actually liked the Impact connect as up to that point the ending of the main event felt like a damp squib. The WTF moment of running off to Impact at least makes you wonder what's happening.

Good Brothers probably attacked Moxley last week, and are meant to go back to NJPW when they can. KENTA was a lot of people's dream attacker of Moxley and is in the Bullet Club last I checked in NJPW still. Could maybe still see the AEW/Impact/NJPW links come through with Bullet Club as the tie in.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

EDIT: Guessing it was just the lighting, but it made Sting look like he had grey hair. The slow mo walk around and not chasing off Team TAZ just made me feel like it was Old Man Sting. I just wasn't feeling it.

Thought it was done really well.

Sting coming down and chasing off a bunch of young guys makes them look tinpot. Sting coming out with a baseball bat looking pretty calculated is far better. The staredown of all four corners as well (four generations of wrestler no less) was brilliant as well. Didn't give off immediate 'I'm your mate here to help' vibes.

Also love the idea of the crossover. Impact is tinpot now I agree but there is still talent on their roster and it opens up a whole world of possibility. Throw NJPW into that mixer as well and you basically have a ton of potential dream matches. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Also love the idea of the crossover. Impact is tinpot now I agree but there is still talent on their roster and it opens up a whole world of possibility. Throw NJPW into that mixer as well and you basically have a ton of potential dream matches. 

With Impact down to a handful of PPVs a year, and bulk TV tapings most of this is going to play out on Dynamite and social media. I'm guessing just about everyone can keep track of everything without ever watching a single epsiode of Impact.

So talent is the important part of this which is why I don't mind it at all. AEW have shown themselves happy to work with or around other companies (MLW, NWA, OWE, NJPW, AAA, the Joshi promotions, DDT). Reminds me of how the 90s WWF dealt with SMW, ECW, NWA, Memphis to get what they wanted out of the relationship.

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With Impact down to a handful of PPVs a year, and bulk TV tapings most of this is going to play out on Dynamite and social media. I'm guessing just about everyone can keep track of everything without ever watching a single epsiode of Impact.

So talent is the important part of this which is why I don't mind it at all. AEW have shown themselves happy to work with or around other companies (MLW, NWA, OWE, NJPW, AAA, the Joshi promotions, DDT). Reminds me of how the 90s WWF dealt with SMW, ECW, NWA, Memphis to get what they wanted out of the relationship.

I mean what does that leave? WWE and NXT as an entity, AEW and associates who are appearing to be reforming the territories for the modern day almost. 

And then ROH who have aligned themselves with no-one and are dead in the water now. 

Stings entrance was outstanding and brings up so man options.

Kenny Omega winning imo was the right thing to do, would have rather the won clean but still a great win. I genuinely trust the management with this decision and will be interested to see how it pans out.