Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

They ran with split first divisions a few years ago. How many teams get promoted would be my question? The teams joining will not want to spend more than a season in the first division. They had a 3 up 3 down recently(was either last season or the one before) but I think that’s changed now. Could they bring that back to try and give the “bigger teams” a quicker route? 

2 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

They ran with split first divisions a few years ago. How many teams get promoted would be my question? The teams joining will not want to spend more than a season in the first division. They had a 3 up 3 down recently(was either last season or the one before) but I think that’s changed now. Could they bring that back to try and give the “bigger teams” a quicker route? 

It’s two up, two down. But with Milngavie folding, it’ll be one down with what’s-looking-like Dunipace and Drumchapel up.

The split of the First Division would only work if you have ten teams in either division, I would’ve thought. Any fewer and it’s a bit of a pointless exercise and a very short league season. 

Providing no one folds or resigns from the league, you’re sitting with St Pat’s, Campsie, Bannockburn and Westerlands (who have massively improved this year) in the one division with only two promoted.

I can’t see the structure changing at such short notice.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, active8 said:

The standard of the Cally Premier is not what it was so hopefully with better additions in the next couple of years it will improve. 

The standard oF amateur as a whole is not what it was due to the east and west of Scotland teams taking more players than the old junior teams used to. This isn’t a slight on the amateur game it is what it is but the previous 15 years there was teams throwing about cash left right and centre nowadays it’s not so common and the players simply play higher and get paid. 

2 hours ago, active8 said:

Heard from a friend certain Cally teams are paying WOS sides for players and they are not game changers just ordinary 

Would you care to elaborate on those accusations?

There are a lot of ‘ordinary players’ at every level. There are also a lot of players who won’t go anywhere without getting paid. This issue, if true, isn’t unique to the Caley league and has been a lot more prevalent in previous years.

Given your interest in West Park, I would expect I know who your ‘source’ is and I have a suspicion with regards to the team you’re referring to, but I’ll keep my powder dry because I have absolutely no basis or concrete evidence to back it up.

Edited by Brad Bobley

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

GARTCOSH now announced moving from SPAFA to the Calie league. Another really good club to add to Bannockburn, St Pats and Campsie who have already jumped ship from SPAFA to Calie. Never saw any of them coming but SPAFA is imploding.

That can’t leave many of the top league for next year?.

26 minutes ago, Gazzah said:

That can’t leave many of the top league for next year?.

19 teams left in the league. 5 in the Premier (Castlemilk, Oban Saints, Arthurlie, Harestanes and Neilston). Just seven clubs left in the league from the old Central Scottish. What was a merger with the Scottish AFL is basically turning into a merger with the Caley...

4 minutes ago, Gazzah said:

Just seen pather confirm on twitter they are moving from Sunday to Saturday and joining central Scottish league. 

You'd think they might know the name of the league they are joining. 

13 hours ago, stanley said:

19 teams left in the league. 5 in the Premier (Castlemilk, Oban Saints, Arthurlie, Harestanes and Neilston). Just seven clubs left in the league from the old Central Scottish. What was a merger with the Scottish AFL is basically turning into a merger with the Caley...

Harestanes, I believe, are struggling for a team. I really hope they manage to get back on their feet. Neilston also rumoured to be going 35s, though unsure if this will run alongside their SPAFA team, or completely moving across and resigning from their current setup.

12 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

From the website, the 12 in the Premier League - 3 Folded, 4 to the Calie which leaves 5. Rumour that Castlemilk OBC going Sat morning also. Be as well going back to calling it the SAFL

I had heard about Castlemilk OBC going to mornings too. 

It's going to be a very lonely league for Oban, Arthurlie, Greenock HSFP and Steins next year if all those changes happen. 

16 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

From the website, the 12 in the Premier League - 3 Folded, 4 to the Calie which leaves 5. Rumour that Castlemilk OBC going Sat morning also. Be as well going back to calling it the SAFL

Sadly your rumour about Castlemilk going Saturday morning is the same as your one about GHSFP. Total p*sh I’m afraid. 

2 hours ago, iveajimmyboneon said:

Sadly your rumour about Castlemilk going Saturday morning is the same as your one about GHSFP. Total p*sh I’m afraid. 

I did get 3 out of 4 of the rest that moved. Castlemilk one came from someone inside Castlemilk OBC so surprised about that but fair enough. Re Greenock HSFP a few people heard that and I suppose they have decided against it THIS season. Cant see them being happy pumping teams 50 odd to nil for long so watch this space

5 hours ago, iveajimmyboneon said:

The castlemilk going morning rumour has been going a while tbf, and has been coming out of those involved at OBC. Iv also heard Oban apparently going to the GG.