Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

48 minutes ago, geoward said:

I can assure you that we didn't want the league with teams forfeiting fixtures last season, it took the shine off it. I have to state tho that the two games we were awarded saw the team challenging us, awarded the same fixtures at different times of the season. That can't be helped by any of the two of us.

Last season we went on a 16 game unbeaten run conceding 13 goals withing the league in that spell. We went on a run that no one including ourselves could predict. For me winning the East spurred us on for that last push in the league.

Probably like many teams over the years, our season started to go down after the Scottish exit to Cupar followed by the defeat to Steins in the Semis. Before this season we had only lost 5 league games over 2 season but find ourselves losing 8 this season alone. Winning is the easy part, it's getting back to winning that's not. EKYM are the first team to beat us at Moray Park since Glasgow Harp on 29th October 2022.

I believe the Caledonian Premier has only ever been won back to back twice. Once by Doune and the other by Dalziel, I could be wrong. It's shows how hard it is to do. However Credit goes to our opposition teams as everyone of them came at us and we didn't handle being champions. Like they say, it's easier to get to the top than to stay there. The top of the table has a fascinating climax. For me it's now down to 3 after last night. 

For us now there's no worry from my point as you know what it's like when thing aren't going your way, everything goes wrong. We take our break and enjoy time off and get back to it July. Good luck to the remaining 3 teams St Joes, EKYM and Giffnock for Saturday. Enjoy it as you never know what the next season is like.

Oh, absolutely. I don't blame Doune or EKYM. The two teams in question, who forfeited, are an embarrassment. 

Doune have certainly been an excellent side for the past few years, but you've made the point well that, in such a competitive league, it's really difficult to maintain that. Hopefully Doune can rebuild and get back on track next season. If they do, it'll be completely unpredictable as to who will win the league.

I expect St Joe's will beat Wishaw on Saturday, then win the league on goal difference. 

Agree with both geoward and Brad, the competition within the league has certainly got better. The fact that Doune werent even close to the running shows the level of the league has went up. Its only going to get better with next year and the year afters additions too.

20 hours ago, geoward said:

I can assure you that we didn't want the league with teams forfeiting fixtures last season, it took the shine off it. I have to state tho that the two games we were awarded saw the team challenging us, awarded the same fixtures at different times of the season. That can't be helped by any of the two of us.

Last season we went on a 16 game unbeaten run conceding 13 goals withing the league in that spell. We went on a run that no one including ourselves could predict. For me winning the East spurred us on for that last push in the league.

Probably like many teams over the years, our season started to go down after the Scottish exit to Cupar followed by the defeat to Steins in the Semis. Before this season we had only lost 5 league games over 2 season but find ourselves losing 8 this season alone. Winning is the easy part, it's getting back to winning that's not. EKYM are the first team to beat us at Moray Park since Glasgow Harp on 29th October 2022.

I believe the Caledonian Premier has only ever been won back to back twice. Once by Doune and the other by Dalziel, I could be wrong. It's shows how hard it is to do. However Credit goes to our opposition teams as everyone of them came at us and we didn't handle being champions. Like they say, it's easier to get to the top than to stay there. The top of the table has a fascinating climax. For me it's now down to 3 after last night. 

For us now there's no worry from my point as you know what it's like when thing aren't going your way, everything goes wrong. We take our break and enjoy time off and get back to it July. Good luck to the remaining 3 teams St Joes, EKYM and Giffnock for Saturday. Enjoy it as you never know what the next season is like.

Posted (edited)

@geoward Think there’s been a few teams that have done it, Stanley managed it back in the 80s(had to check for that one), Bannockburn did it  on 2 occasions, 99/00 and 2000/2001 and 2007/08 and 2008/09, Dalziel actually won 3 “back to back to back” titles back in the mid 90s and obviously Doune won successfully back to back leagues most recently, great achievements for all clubs to win one league, but to do it again the season after is always hard

Edited by AMB

6 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

auldyinwaeknowledge will be in shortly saying the standard is shite because teams can't defend their league title now that St Pat's have won four-in-a row. 😆

I took in the st pats game on Tuesday which they won comfortably to win the league. Iv also seen them a few times this season and would say I don’t think they will find the Cale 1st division easy next season. I know they will be hot favourites to win it but iv not been that impressed albeit they have a very young squad. 

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I took in the st pats game on Tuesday which they won comfortably to win the league. Iv also seen them a few times this season and would say I don’t think they will find the Cale 1st division easy next season. I know they will be hot favourites to win it but iv not been that impressed albeit they have a very young squad. 

I wonder if a few players will go to Broomhill with Zander Diamond. I’ve seen them twice this season and been fairly underwhelmed given their reputation. 
Still think it’s an incredible coup for the Caley to be able to attract a club of such calibre (alongside the three others).

3 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

I wonder if a few players will go to Broomhill with Zander Diamond. I’ve seen them twice this season and been fairly underwhelmed given their reputation. 
Still think it’s an incredible coup for the Caley to be able to attract a club of such calibre (alongside the three others).

I can’t see any going to Broomhill, but may be wrong. As good as some of the players are, I can’t imagine many would make it at LL level. Michael Aitken at CB is only 19 and was at Hearts before St Pats, he’s probably most likely. It’s a great coup for Cale and setting next season up to be a cracker in both divisions.

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2024 at 12:06, Brad Bobley said:

auldyinwaeknowledge will be in shortly saying the standard is shite because teams can't defend their league title now that St Pat's have won four-in-a row. 😆

Ok I will not disappoint you the standard of your League this year is very poor based on your club performance in the Nationals / Districts Cup that you can't argue [ though you will ] and compared to Scotlands Top Saturday afternoon League 

West Cup - Winners SPAL

East Cup - Winners SPAL

Inter League Cup - Winners SPAL 

With one our clubs reaching the Scottish semi's

Not bad for a 1st season of the SPAL ......Oh let me correct you St.Pat's have won 4 in row but only the 1st time within The SPAL ...... and before you bite, going with your method of having a pop at me does that mean if they win your lower division next is that 5 in a row.

Edited by auld yin wae knowledge

30 minutes ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Ok I will not disappoint you the standard of your League this year is very poor based on your club performance in the Nationals / Districts Cup that you can't argue [ though you will ] and compared to Scotlands Top Saturday afternoon League 

West Cup - Winners SPAL

East Cup - Winners SPAL

Not bad for a 1st season of the SPAL ......Oh let me correct you St.Pat's have won 4 in row but only the 1st time within The SPAL ...... and before you bite, going with your method of having a pop at me does that mean if they win your lower division next is that 5 in a row.

Ha ha ha

3 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

West Cup - Winners SPAL

East Cup - Winners SPAL

Right on cue. There he’s there.

Thanks for the big catch. 
Care to comment on the thread about Greenock and Steins, or is it too embarrassing to defend that?

I would congratulate you on the inter-league trophy win if anybody actually cared about it, but given that Ayrshire and the Caley never entered it, I’ll spare giving it much more time.

Have a lovely weekend, grandpa.

1 hour ago, Brad Bobley said:

Care to comment on the thread about Greenock and Steins, or is it too embarrassing to defend that?

I would congratulate you on the inter-league trophy win if anybody actually cared about it, but given that Ayrshire and the Caley never entered it, I’ll spare giving it much more time.

The inter league trophy is a bit of a joke if we are being honest. Leagues struggled for teams and a lot of clubs did not really support it. No surprise the GGPL, Caley and Ayrshire didn't enter this year. Bit of a damp squid, and frankly embarrassing, to be cracking the champagne open at winning it.  I do feel some degree of pity for Auld Yin as its clear to most the 'new' Scottish Premier Amateur League is in total meltdown. I get Auld Yin will be suffering but some of the stuff he comes on with trying to trash leagues on the UP to take away from the disaster of the SPAFA debacle is hilarious, if a bit sad.

1 hour ago, Brad Bobley said:

Wrong again getting a habit this as I did explain the reasons in fact if your League is smart with your expanded lower division next year you wil copy The SPAL you know like follow the leader  ............anyway keep up the name calling as crazy feet finds it funny  

3 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Wrong again getting a habit this as I did explain the reasons in fact if your League is smart with your expanded lower division next year you wil copy The SPAL you know like follow the leader  ............anyway keep up the name calling as crazy feet finds it funny  

Sorry for calling you grandpa, auldyin. That was very immature of me.

I don’t have a league, but more of a supporter of leagues who are thriving. Admittedly, I have an interest in the Caley more than others as I used to be involved with a team who were members and folded a few seasons back.

Like AFF, I feel sorry for SPAFA. Not a fan of schadenfreude on this occasion. 

An exciting run in, regardless of how it’s painted, tomorrow. Think Wishaw’s 12-match winning run will come to an end and St Joe’s will have it wrapped up. Virtually impossible for Wishaw to do any damage in the circumstances they find themselves in. EKYM-Giffnock, deep down, will know this too. 

St Joes Champions.

Game swung on a Wishaw red card in the first half with the score at 1-1. It probably was a red but Wishaw will feel aggrieved as St Joes midfielder was very lucky not to walk 5 mins earlier for a borderline red with a similar tackle to what the Wishaw lad got sent off for.

I think over the piece St Joes have been the best team this season so deserving winners.

9 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

St Joes Champions.

Game swung on a Wishaw red card in the first half with the score at 1-1. It probably was a red but Wishaw will feel aggrieved as St Joes midfielder was very lucky not to walk 5 mins earlier for a borderline red with a similar tackle to what the Wishaw lad got sent off for.

I think over the piece St Joes have been the best team this season so deserving winners.

Bang on thought st Joe’s were lucky to avoid a red just before the wishaw red card but how the wishaw keeper stayed on just before half time is incredible,was right in line with it as was the linesman,clearest red card I think I’ve seen not given 

Wishaw really struggled when they went down to ten, as you would expect. St Joe’s controlled the majority of the game and Wishaw weren’t up to much but that’s to be expected in the circumstances. Injuries, bookings and the sending off effectively ended Wishaw’s chances of conjuring anything after a reasonably positive start.

St Joe’s worthy winners, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking to a guy at the St Joe's - Wishaw final on Friday who told me Drumchapel are now promoted on the back of Dunipace fielding an ineligible player in their 6-2 victory over them a few weeks back, on top of being awarded 3 points for Alva being unable to field a team the week before (I think?), which takes them above Westerlands. 

Quite enjoyed the final, on that note. Completely different Wishaw team to the week before and St Joe's looked like they couldn't be bothered. A very dubious goal chopped off for St Joe's at 3-1 as well. Wishaw, on the whole though, absolutely deserved it. According to Wishaw's Facebook, they're the first team to win both Caley league cups in the same season. Fair play if that's the case.