League Cup Group F

Reid

My first viewing of our new squad today. My son assures me the other 3 games were nothing like this. The performance had the look of a pre-season trial with a number of players trying too hard for themselves. Alfie has a rare talent but like so many of that ilk he’ll be better for the team when he learns when to use one touch.

Little is very impressive at defending. Never saw much from any defender in the way of attacking from the back. Hoofball the predominant option but maybe that was to try and play to Moore’s skills. Much better in the second though, particularly through the middle. No sign of strong wing partnerships on today’s showing.

Three players have worn the armband so far. Hardly a wonder then it looks a bit dysfunctional but individually it looks to be a big step up from last season. Looking forward to next week when Mark gets his first eleven out.

Little excellent defensively but Joffrey the best player on the park.

All that said, still good enough to beat Clyde. Long season ahead for their fans.

Our poorest performance but still good enough; very pleasing. Clyde didn't really stretch us much but they could say the same. I'd have taken a late equaliser and a penalty shootout win before the match. One defeat in the four matches and, more importantly from a League season perspective, impressive performances and strong finishes. Roberts looks to have signed well.

The French lad looks a terrific find and Alfie is going to be entertaining. Fairly solid throughout the team, which has been the script so far. Looking forward to the real stuff starting next week.

Another Willie Collum-esque display by a referee in the game. The number of bookings in the 4 matches I've seen seems ridiculous given that there wasn't one bad tackle in the 360 minutes. Hopefully this isn't an indication of the season to come.

On 26/07/2019 at 17:38, tworedlea said:

and use racist, sexist and homophobic language. We have moved on from then thankfully

Well of course, and thankfully most folk have moved on. Nothing wrong with a bit of verbals otherwise though and certainly nothing wrong with verbally abusing racists, sexists, and homophobes  

18 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Managing to get the points when you’re not at your sharpest is a sign of a true winning team. Looking forward to the season ahead after competing well against 4, supposedly, better teams.

We only got two of the points to be fair but I get your gist. Reckon we might even had got all three if we had performed like we did against Hamilton or Airdrie but at least we dug in for a draw when not at our best

On 28/07/2019 at 16:36, The Spider said:

image.png.dcb07d2a3fc0ed6b4d9096adbd0e36b6.png

Pretty sure that 3 draws and 2 penalty shoot out wins = 5 points. I know I'm being pedantic but I believe it's another 2 grand in the coffers for paying our players a wage next year 😉   

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

Pretty sure that 3 draws and 2 penalty shoot out wins = 5 points. I know I'm being pedantic but I believe it's another 2 grand in the coffers for paying our players a wage next year 😉   

agreed Mick, and glad to see that the BBC have updated it now

image.png.7077bc49b9b14abfea1a0053ebbb3ce0.png

My impatience to highlight that the natural order of things had been restored obviously got the better of me 🤩

8 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Think Airdrie got third position for the Goals-For so it might have been in vain (cash for position, not points) but I'm calling it third top just the same.

image.png.b3826d2d45a70ac69eb441bc6d185d9e.png

16 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Think Airdrie got third position for the Goals-For so it might have been in vain (cash for position, not points) but I'm calling it third top just the same.

image.png.b3826d2d45a70ac69eb441bc6d185d9e.png

Mind Gerry Crawley said at the meeting last week that we lost out on £2000 by not winning the penalty shoot-out against Airdrie the previous night, so there'd seem to be financial incentives for points as well.  Not sure though.

Edited by Chester Desmond

5 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

Mind Gerry Crawley said at the meeting last week that we out on £2000 by not winning the penalty shoot-out against Airdrie the previous night, so there'd seem to be financial incentives for points as well.  Not sure though.

The points would have established the table position default but as Airdrie and us finished on the same points the next level is the GF I think...to encourage more goals. Supposedly. I'm happy with third.