The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

Former Leeds United midfielder Lee Bowyer's Elland Road return next season is back on, after the Charlton Athletic manager penned a new contract with the club less than 24 hours after the Addicks issued a statement saying they were unable to reach an agreement.

The 42-year-old, who began his career at The Valley before moving to West Yorkshire in 1996, has now signed a one-year extension to confirm that he will remain with the newly promoted Championship outfit until the end of the 2019-20 season.

Bowyer, who initially took the reins in March 2018 on a caretaker basis, led Athletic to the second tier this year with victory in the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season," the former Whites man said in a statement. "The club came together - the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed. 

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. 

“We have a fantastic fanbase here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Bowyer had previously been unable to reach terms with the club and as recently as last night, Charlton issued an erratic statement that suggested his tenure was over.

"Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract," the club posted on Monday afternoon.

"The fact the club is for sale has not helped with finding an agreement. The current owner needs to take into account that a new owner may want to appoint his own manager. However, this concern did not stop the current owner proposing a contract extension of one year to Lee Bowyer, even though the club may be sold in a few weeks. Under those circumstances a multi-year extension would not be good business practice."

But that statement appears to have been the catalyst for action, with an agreement being confirmed early on Tuesday morning.

6 hours ago, thekorean said:

Lee Bowyer returning to Charlton, despite club announcing his departure yesterday. lol.

So Charlton's rage statement tactic worked to get Bowyer back lol.  Sets a potentially amusing precedent for clubs looking to re-sign managers and players

16 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

And now Garry Monk has left Birmingham City.  Some news sources say he was sacked, others say he left by Mutual Consent, either way he is not Birmingham manager any more.

There was talk a couple of days ago that he was thinking of walking as he wasn't happy with how things were being run. I wonder if they've pushed him before he jumped. He's certainly got used to hotel food since leaving Swansea.

7 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

There was talk a couple of days ago that he was thinking of walking as he wasn't happy with how things were being run. I wonder if they've pushed him before he jumped. He's certainly got used to hotel food since leaving Swansea.

Yah, reports are that he was not happy with the Jota/Gary Gardner swap deal.   He's a good manager and I am sure will land on his feet somewhere soon, already talk of him taking over at Derby if Lampard goes.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

And now Garry Monk has left Birmingham City.  Some news sources say he was sacked, others say he left by Mutual Consent, either way he is not Birmingham manager any more.

Seems strange that Monk goes but his backroom staff all remain in place, with Pep Clotet taking over as manager.

Think this will backfire as Clotet seems to be a good number 2 but when he took over Oxford as manager he was dreadful and nearly relegated them.

On 17/06/2019 at 15:04, Rab B Nesbit said:

I’ve been to a few Scottish Cup draws in strange places but not a supermarket :lol:

You actually attend cup draws? f**k me mate get Netflix or something.