COWDENBEATH 2019-20

10 minutes ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

There is definitely potential there and 100% agree regarding confidence, You can see his head drop if things don’t quite happen for him in a game. I thought we missed the presence of coxy on Saturday but do think he has been waking a fine line in recent games. I love the fact he plays on the edge and he wouldn’t be the same player without it but I do believe he could control some of the petulant behaviour a bit better.

In terms of Coxy it is about compromise. He plays on the edge  gives his all and has scored vital goals for us as well as being a great influence in the dressing room. On the other hand he has personal struggles which are well documented and I admire his candour around this as well as his desire to help others. We have to keep this isn mind and recognise that he will lapse as it is a struggle for him and recognise that at those times more than others he needs us to support him

For me Allan has to start. We were fortunate to have him back. Lack of service to him is the problem. He gets little or no service and has to run himself into the ground trying to win the ball off the opposition and then he is over eager sometimes with the rare chances he gets because of the lack of opportunities and he snatches at the chance. With Taylor and Smith in the team, Allan would link up well with them, but they have to be on the pitch at the the same time. Swann is another player who can create chances and I would like to see Connelly get on as a sub.

I would drop Renton. I don't think he offers nearly enough and he rarely scores or even comes close to scoring. He is not a striker. The third goal against Annan highlighted that perfectly. There was some good link up play and Smith played a perfect ball back across to the centre for the Renton to smash home, but he had stopped running and was too far back. He is not on the same wavelength as Smith. Renton has been a little bit better recently, but to say he has been excellent is crazy. Just because he actually makes a few passes and the Brechin defender is stupid enough to foul him. You have to remember, Stirling and Brechin are pretty poor and that is the worst performance I have seen from an Annan team. Most of the other games we will play will be tougher and we need to improve if we are not just aiming for 7th or 8th. Dabrowski has saved us on a few occasions as well.

You can see the players getting a bit more confidence from the wins. I think Mullen and Buchanan have more potential than they themselves think they have. It's all about confidence for some players.

9 hours ago, PELE said:

For me Allan has to start. We were fortunate to have him back. Lack of service to him is the problem. He gets little or no service and has to run himself into the ground trying to win the ball off the opposition and then he is over eager sometimes with the rare chances he gets because of the lack of opportunities and he snatches at the chance. With Taylor and Smith in the team, Allan would link up well with them, but they have to be on the pitch at the the same time. Swann is another player who can create chances and I would like to see Connelly get on as a sub.

I would drop Renton. I don't think he offers nearly enough and he rarely scores or even comes close to scoring. He is not a striker. The third goal against Annan highlighted that perfectly. There was some good link up play and Smith played a perfect ball back across to the centre for the Renton to smash home, but he had stopped running and was too far back. He is not on the same wavelength as Smith. Renton has been a little bit better recently, but to say he has been excellent is crazy. Just because he actually makes a few passes and the Brechin defender is stupid enough to foul him. You have to remember, Stirling and Brechin are pretty poor and that is the worst performance I have seen from an Annan team. Most of the other games we will play will be tougher and we need to improve if we are not just aiming for 7th or 8th. Dabrowski has saved us on a few occasions as well.

You can see the players getting a bit more confidence from the wins. I think Mullen and Buchanan have more potential than they themselves think they have. It's all about confidence for some players.

Granted it’s a matter of opinion but this opinion is crazy. Renton has been outstanding so far this season and pivotal in the 9 points we have. And also his defensive duties at set plays has been crucial aswell none more so than Saturday when he cleared off the line with seconds to go. 

Personally I would like a stronger holding midfielder than miller, but apart from that, saturdays 11 looked really strong. 

Good to have options I would say. Renton works hard for the team but wont score us a lot of goals. However he is integral to the way we play. Defensively as well as offensively.

Jordan Allan if fit should start for me. However cox is 1st name on team sheet if available under bollan. The lad connor smith looks a real good player for us and will get better. His running power and touch and technique is very good.

The lad hamilton who plays centre of a back 3 is a good football player and can play a bit but defensively is not too great. Reads the game ok but does bring a calmness when in possession so if he can get better defensively will work well for us him in there. Very lightweight however.

Echo the sentiments on another central midfielder. I think Herd got a bad injury (any updates??) so a loan signing for middle of the park would see us have a very healthy squad should we have everyone fit.

14 hours ago, PELE said:

I would drop Renton. I don't think he offers nearly enough

You clearly consume football differently to the normal fan. That's fine but you are wrong. 

We've won three games this season. Renton scored the only goal against Stirling. He set up Buchanan and Smith for their goals against Annan and won the penalty. He also won the penalty against Brechin. Take Renton out of the team and how many points do we have? 

He occupies defenders which creates space for others. He sets up goals. He works tirelessly. 

Good to have options I would say. Renton works hard for the team but wont score us a lot of goals. However he is integral to the way we play. Defensively as well as offensively.
Jordan Allan if fit should start for me. However cox is 1st name on team sheet if available under bollan. The lad connor smith looks a real good player for us and will get better. His running power and touch and technique is very good.
The lad hamilton who plays centre of a back 3 is a good football player and can play a bit but defensively is not too great. Reads the game ok but does bring a calmness when in possession so if he can get better defensively will work well for us him in there. Very lightweight however.
Echo the sentiments on another central midfielder. I think Herd got a bad injury (any updates??) so a loan signing for middle of the park would see us have a very healthy squad should we have everyone fit.

Acl strain I think out for a few weeks I would guess

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I’m a Renton fan, however, we had our best spell last season when he was missing and who could forget the demolition of Edinburgh City and the performance of Allan. Surely there is some way that they can play together?

We’ve also had our best start in several years and have won 60% of our games, in which Renton has been pivotal. 

8 hours ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

Granted it’s a matter of opinion but this opinion is crazy. Renton has been outstanding so far this season and pivotal in the 9 points we have. And also his defensive duties at set plays has been crucial aswell none more so than Saturday when he cleared off the line with seconds to go. 

Personally I would like a stronger holding midfielder than miller, but apart from that, saturdays 11 looked really strong. 

Yeah, it's all about opinions, but I would hardly call his performances outstanding. Much better than usual maybe, but his usual is very poor. Wait until we have some harder matches. If we revert back to Cox and Renton upfront for the upcoming matches, we will slip quickly back down the league. I could understand (still opposed to it) playing hoofball if we hit it to Renton with his back to goal to knock down to Allan or Smith, but all he does is knock it forward to nobody other than defenders.

2 minutes ago, PELE said:

Yeah, it's all about opinions, but I would hardly call his performances outstanding. Much better than usual maybe, but his usual is very poor. Wait until we have some harder matches. If we revert back to Cox and Renton upfront for the upcoming matches, we will slip quickly back down the league. I could understand (still opposed to it) playing hoofball if we hit it to Renton with his back to goal to knock down to Allan or Smith, but all he does is knock it forward to nobody other than defenders.

Get Jordyn Sheerin back. He was the best player ever and scored a million goals. 

2 minutes ago, PELE said:

One that sticks out for me is Stirling at home when Allan and Renton where up top together, Renton won his fair share of flick ons, and Allan was five yards deeper than him every time. Renton should be a dream for someone like Alan who should be anticipating it and on the last mans shoulder every time re ton goes up for a header.

100% record at home and it took 2 long range worldys up at the league leaders to beat us, and the large majority still think they can pick a better team than the manager. With previous seasons we should be happy with the way the manager has got us set up at the moment, especially if you consider budgets I would imagine us to be in the bottom 3 budget wise. 

4 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

You clearly consume football differently to the normal fan. That's fine but you are wrong. 

We've won three games this season. Renton scored the only goal against Stirling. He set up Buchanan and Smith for their goals against Annan and won the penalty. He also won the penalty against Brechin. Take Renton out of the team and how many points do we have? 

He occupies defenders which creates space for others. He sets up goals. He works tirelessly. 

I think Allan and Smith would score more.

Against Annan, the defender knocked the ball down for Smith to score and Buchanan takes the credit for the first goal. He made the run and did the hard work. All Renton did was pass the ball across to him. Can you honestly see Renton scoring if the positions were reversed? Can you?

Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy if Renton was playing and scoring and we kept winning like we have in the home games most weeks, but I am not convinced we will without a change to the line up. I would jump for joy if he banged in loads of goals, but his goals per game stats can't be good.

I am being realistic. We were awful against Annan for most of the game, not all of it, but most of it and Brechin and Stirling are gash. 

30 minutes ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

One that sticks out for me is Stirling at home when Allan and Renton where up top together, Renton won his fair share of flick ons, and Allan was five yards deeper than him every time. Renton should be a dream for someone like Alan who should be anticipating it and on the last mans shoulder every time re ton goes up for a header.

Bollan should be telling Renton to knock it down to Allan or Smith to run forward with, not flick it on towards the opposition defence.

29 minutes ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

100% record at home and it took 2 long range worldys up at the league leaders to beat us, and the large majority still think they can pick a better team than the manager. With previous seasons we should be happy with the way the manager has got us set up at the moment, especially if you consider budgets I would imagine us to be in the bottom 3 budget wise. 

The further we get away from bottom spot the better. Then and only then will I start to look for a high finish. I would think we are almost certainly in the bottom 3 budget wise, so we shouldn't expect too much. However, no point spending the money on good players to sit on the bench. I would guess that Allan is on a few quid.

16 minutes ago, PELE said:

The further we get away from bottom spot the better. Then and only then will I start to look for a high finish. I would think we are almost certainly in the bottom 3 budget wise, so we shouldn't expect too much. However, no point spending the money on good players to sit on the bench. I would guess that Allan is on a few quid.

And for what it’s worth I don’t think Allan is a bad player, I think he could prove to be a great impact player for us as the season progresses with his pace. But I certainly don’t see him getting a place in the starting 11 at the moment. And for those who say we should be grateful we still have him etc. Surely you aren’t so naive to believe that if there was any serious interest from teams in league 1 or the championship Allan would still be with us.