Bavaria

Really fancy a summer holiday kicking about southern Bavaria. Anywhere with lakes, forests and mountains, maybe visiting Bertechsgaden or the Ludwig castles etc

I have been to Munich before and loved it and also really fancy Salzburg.

So the question is, can i do the outdoorsy stuff based in either Munich or Salzburg or is that too much of a pain/distance to get in and out of the cities and is there somewhere  good to base yourself to do that?

Salzburg is a phenomenal city and is a fairly short distance from Bertechsgaden. The views from the castle over the city are sensational. Also only a couple of hours on the regional trains from Munich. Definitely worth a couple of days there.

That's as much as I can offer unfortunately

Munich is full of kunst. 

It is and I also found the galleries, at least when we visited (a cold, damp Tuesday morning in December), very quiet. Had a room of Van Gough’s (sunflowers included) to ourselves. You wouldn’t get that in Amsterdam!

I'll second Berchtesgaden. It's stunning and pretty close to Salzburg. 

Füssen, although pretty touristy, is also a nice place and really close to Neuschwanstein.

You've also got Rothenburg ob der Tauber and the Romantic Road, but that's further north in the opposite direction. Definitely has a different feel than alpine Bavaria though. 

• 2 months later...

Just seen this and dont  know if you’ve been yet but it’s an area I’ve visited many times and we as a family love it there. 

North west of Munich you have gorgeous walled towns such as Dinkeksbuhl and Rothenburg

South west you have Fussen the famous  neuschwanstein castle. The town of Fussen is nice to have a wander about.

South of Munich is one of my favourite chocolate box villages, Mittenwald, and the ski resort of Garmisch...where Winter Olympics took place in the 1930’s and Germany’s highest mountain. Take the cable car up.

as mentioned before South West of Munich about 2 hours from Munich is Berchtesgadener land. Truly breathtaking lakes (take the boat out in lake konigisee), visit the eagles nest, Ruhpolding, Inzell, Berchtesgaden...with it’s dark history.

Edited by stu20vt