Last 8 - Who's going to make it?

Shotgun

What are your Predictions? Looks like we could have some fairly even match-ups here without much to choose between the teams. I think Germany, England, France and the USA are all stick ons but I'm not sure anyone else is a dead cert. I'd like to hope the best team will win each time but I'm inclined to think VAR will continue to hack things up.

Germany v Nigeria
Germany, without trying all that hard.

Norway v Australia
Not so sure about this one but I'm going to go with Australia.

England v Cameroon
England. Ugh.

France v Brazil
France with a little help from Mr. VAR.

Spain v United States
United States, also with the assistance of our ol' pal.

Sweden v Canada
This one could be fairly even match. I'm going to say Sweden.

Italy v China
No idea on this one. Flipped a coin and come down with China.

Netherlands v Japan
No real clue here either. Netherlands.

A meringue? Why do you think so?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I would very much like Norway and Cameroon to progress, I would say you are pretty much spot on with everything except perhaps Italy as they have been the real dark horses of the tournament. I'd also maybe swither slightly on Sweden beating Canada. Close call and I would maybe lean towards Canada (perhaps even on penalties, as they did in the Algarve Cup 3rd place match - strap yourself in for that possible shoot-out).

I predict that the cup itself will be won by VAR dweebs while, in the process, undermining the women's game and killing football as a spectator sport. Job's a good 'un, FIFA. 🖕

Agree with those except for Italy, who have been very impressive while China have been highly structured but too predictable.

Sweden-Canada ought to be tight, and the Netherlands have been living up to the hype so I don't see Japan living with them. IMO Netherlands are going to make the final.

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Germany coasting already against Nigeria. Another VAR penalty, very similar to the one France got against Nigeria.

Thought 3-0 was a little harsh, but the VAR decisions have been consistent in terms of not giving off-side for a striker who I would have thought would clearly be off-side (a la the USA vs Sweden) and the follow through penalties missed by the ref.  Funnily enough, a more competent ref resulted in less mucking about when it came to VAR.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Thought 3-0 was a little harsh, but the VAR decisions have been consistent in terms of not giving off-side for a striker who I would have thought would clearly be off-side (a la the USA vs Sweden) and the follow through penalties missed by the ref.  Funnily enough, a more competent ref resulted in less mucking about when it came to VAR.

The law is "preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision" - the GK was not going to be able to play that ball whether she had a clear view or not so I don't see how there can be an offence.

Archived