World Cup Final - USA v Netherlands

TheScarf

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's strange, upon seeing a replay it is one if the clearest penalties you will see.

It's a mixture of people not liking VAR, and wanting the USA not to win, therefore not wanting to agree with the decision. Whilst I share those sentiments, it doesn't change the basic facts that she was kicked in the side and it is a penalty.

Yes, I was wanting the Dutch to win too, and I have reservations about the use of VAR.  

It really was a clear penalty though.  I'm genuinely amazed that people are suggesting otherwise.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Eh, no. If that happened to St. Johnstone in the Perthshire Challenge Cup final, I would be fuming at the defender for giving away the penalty. What on earth are you seeing here?

FTFY

I'm honestly not sure how anyone can argue that wasn't a penalty, the dutch lassie doesn't get near the ball.

The Dutch have been really poor, some horrific passing at times.

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Do the Netherlands realize that to score they need posession of the ball?  They are allowing the Americans waaaay too much time and space with the ball

Agreed, some great saves kept us in it in the first half, but after that penalty it just seemed like the Dutch gave up. Which is very unlike them tbh.

Guest Flash

Dutch plan looks like it was to try to shitfest a 0-0 or 1-0 on the break at best. You can see why they didn’t attack from the outset. Looking more likely to concede 3 rather than score one themselves.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Dutch plan looks like it was to try to shitfest a 0-0 or 1-0 on the break at best. You can see why they didn’t attack from the outset. Looking more likely to concede 3 rather than score one themselves.

To be fair, even though I don't particularly like that way of play, that's probably the most realistic way to have a chance to beat the US.

Rose Lavelle there looking unimpressed with @Marten 's takes.

Edit - with her hair straightened she looks like the lassie out of Ozark a bit. IMG_20190707_175039.jpg

Guest Flash
Just now, Marten said:

To be fair, even though I don't particularly like that way of play, that's probably the most realistic way to have a chance to beat the US.

I agree. The penalty was the correct decision, but that one incident finished the game as a contest, I think.

Shame it finished in this way. I hoped for better obviously, but before the game I already realised the Americans were the favourites by far. When it got to 0-0 by HT, I got my hopes up. The better team won as difficult as it is to admit it. Hopes are sometimes the worst...

The girls can be really proud of their achievements though, not long ago The Netherlands was quite a poor country in women's football. The side (and Dutch women's game in general) has massively improved over the last few years. I'm looking forward to the Olympics now, a big plus of getting this far is Olympic qualification.

Guest DAVIDB69

I think FIFA want the USA dominating the game as it allows the woman’s game to have a high profile and huge sponsorship deals.

Americans are generally only interested in stuff they dominate and you wonder what effect that would have if a new dominant team came along.

Just now, DAVIDB69 said:

I think FIFA want the USA dominating the game as it allows the woman’s game to have a high profile and huge sponsorship deals.

Americans are generally only interested in stuff they dominate and you wonder what effect that would have if a new dominant team came along.

Really!! 

Archived