McBurnie's socks

If we had a markedly better option than McBurnie, he'd be in the squad instead.  But we don't.  Adams and Dykes are obviously ahead of him (although Dykes certainly seems to be losing his "new car smell" for Scotland).  McBurnie should continue to be called up until we have anything better.

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

If we had a markedly better option than McBurnie, he'd be in the squad instead.  But we don't.  Adams and Dykes are obviously ahead of him (although Dykes certainly seems to be losing his "new car smell" for Scotland).  McBurnie should continue to be called up until we have anything better.

You could argue this about any player who has been picked for any team ever. A single manager picking him ahead of other players does not automatically make him better than those players. Was Craig Forsyth better than Andy Robertson when Strachan picked him? Was 84 year-old Jim Leighton really our best option at France 98?

McBurnie clearly has ability, which is why he has been continuously picked, but he is running out of chances to actually show that ability in a Scotland strip. Folk can turn their noses up at Griffiths or Shankland or even Johnny Russell, but they've all done something that McBurnie hasn't, which is to actually put the ball in the net for Scotland and more generally contribute to goals.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You could argue this about any player who has been picked for any team ever. A single manager picking him ahead of other players does not automatically make him better than those players. Was Craig Forsyth better than Andy Robertson when Strachan picked him? Was 84 year-old Jim Leighton really our best option at France 98?

McBurnie clearly has ability, which is why he has been continuously picked, but he is running out of chances to actually show that ability in a Scotland strip. Folk can turn their noses up at Griffiths or Shankland or even Johnny Russell, but they've all done something that McBurnie hasn't, which is to actually put the ball in the net for Scotland and more generally contribute to goals.

All very true. Maybe it's just the desire to see him do well.  Like you say, he clearly has ability, and in the early part of this barren run it looked like he was just short of catching fire, and needed that spark to get going.  I thought that when he scored in the shootout in the playoff final (I'm sure I wasn't the only thinking he'd probably miss the ball completely) we'd see it, but alas no.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Chances for whom?  You don't pick the Scotland squad mate, Steve Clare does, and McBurnie is always in it. So there's no evidence he's running out of chances, if fit he's absolutely guaranteed 100% nailed on to be in the squad. And so he should be.

Whether you think he should or not is neither here nor there, people who manage at a very high level rate him way higher than the other players you mentioned. There's a reason for that, and it isn't that they don't know what they're doing. I'll leave it to you to work out which party isn't a good judge here.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Are you related to McBurnie by any chance?  He's utter shite m5.

That's entirely relative. He's better than our other options. So he's in the squad when fit.

Adams is better than him, we don't have any others who are obviously better players, and only one who is even comparable.  

21 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Chances for whom?  You don't pick the Scotland squad mate, Steve Clare does, and McBurnie is always in it. So there's no evidence he's running out of chances, if fit he's absolutely guaranteed 100% nailed on to be in the squad. And so he should be.

Whether you think he should or not is neither here nor there, people who manage at a very high level rate him way higher than the other players you mentioned. There's a reason for that, and it isn't that they don't know what they're doing. I'll leave it to you to work out which party isn't a good judge here.

This time last year he was probably our first choice striker, and Clarke has now recruited two strikers to move straight ahead of him in the pecking order. He's gone from starting the play-off semi-final and getting two sub appearances in the October triple header and then also making one start and two sub appearances in the November triple header to having one sub appearance in the March triple header. It is clear his opportunities are dwindling.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This time last year he was probably our first choice striker, and Clarke has now recruited two strikers to move straight ahead of him in the pecking order. He's gone from starting the play-off semi-final and getting two sub appearances in the October triple header and then also making one start and two sub appearances in the November triple header to having one sub appearance in the March triple header. It is clear his opportunities are dwindling.

No it isn't, you made that up. Clarke has praised and defended him several times. There is no threat whatsoever to his place in the squad as there are no candidates good enough to replace him.  Its only in your head he's running out of chances, if fit he's absolutely guaranteed to be in the squad, and so he should be.

He wasn't first choice a year ago, he was in and out as he is now. Any manager would try to expand his options, that's natural. Dykes has been pish recently too, so are his chances running out or do you just talk nonsense?

Until we have 4 or 5 strikers who are better than McBurnie he'll be in. Right now we have 1, and 1 who is debatable. McBurnie's stats in the Championship shit all over Dykes' btw. Do you see anyone touting Dykes for a move to the EPL?  Or Shankland?  Or Nisbet?  There's a reason for that, and it isn't that all these managers of good clubs don't know what they're doing.

21 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Tommy Tuchel manages at a higher level than Steve Clarke and he doesn't think Billy Gilmour is ready/good enough for starting games at Chelsea. Do you agree that Tuchel is correct or do you think you're a better judge of player than he is?

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Tommy Tuchel manages at a higher level than Steve Clarke and he doesn't think Billy Gilmour is ready/good enough for starting games at Chelsea. Do you agree that Tuchel is correct or do you think you're a better judge of player than he is?

That's not the same as Scotland, as Chelsea have better players than Scotland do they not?  Do you see any World Cup winning midfielders in Scotland's squad?

34 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That's not the same as Scotland, as Chelsea have better players than Scotland do they not?  Do you see any World Cup winning midfielders in Scotland's squad?

Pardon?

I'm asking why you think the professional opinion (Steve Clarke/clubs after him in the EPL) on McBurnie should be trusted over fans opinion, yet the professional opinions (Steve Clarke/Thomas Tuchel) on Billy Gilmour are wrong. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Pardon?

I'm asking why you think the professional opinion (Steve Clarke/clubs after him in the EPL) on McBurnie should be trusted over fans opinion, yet the professional opinions (Steve Clarke/Thomas Tuchel) on Billy Gilmour are wrong. 

Well Tuchel also believes Scotland should pick Gilmour doesn't he?  And he's the one at the higher level.

You're being a trolling wee fanny is what's really going on.

McBurnie is rated by people who know what they're talking about, and slated by people on here who don't. He's not Pele but he's better than Lawrence fucking Shankland.  Him and Nisbet are in their first season ever in the top flight of a European backwater, and have scored less between them than McBurnie got in the Championship. 

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Well Tuchel also believes Scotland should pick Gilmour doesn't he?  And he's the one at the higher level.

You're being a trolling wee fanny is what's really going on.

McBurnie is rated by people who know what they're talking about, and slated by people on here who don't. He's not Pele but he's better than Lawrence fucking Shankland.  Him and Nisbet are in their first season ever in the top flight of a European backwater, and have scored less between them than McBurnie got in the Championship. 

But you believe he should be playing for Chelsea and Tuchel doesn't. I'm not being a trolling wee fanny I'm trying to point out that telling folk their opinion doesn't match with professionals when you're suggesting the Chelsea manager (who has them in fantastic form) is wrong in another thread is a bit silly.

I'm fine with McBurnie being involved btw.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

But you believe he should be playing for Chelsea and Tuchel doesn't. I'm not being a trolling wee fanny I'm trying to point out that telling folk their opinion doesn't match with professionals when you're suggesting the Chelsea manager (who has them in fantastic form) is wrong in another thread is a bit silly.

I'm fine with McBurnie being involved btw.

No I don't, I would like to see him playing for Chelsea and feel they could involve him more if they wanted to. I didn't say Tuchel was wrong not to pick him, there's a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny how the video never shows the undoubted abuse preceeding incidents like these. Saying that, it sounds like he's attacked a kid so really he ought to be in a position to let that go. 

Surely that's him out the Euros squad, at any rate. 

Open season for the jokes on that phone being the only thing he's kicked all season. 

Edited by Michael W

43 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Funny how the video never shows the undoubted abuse preceeding incidents like these. Saying that, it sounds like he's attacked a kid so really he ought to be in a position to let that go. 

Surely that's him out the Euros squad, at any rate. 

Open season for the jokes on that phone being the only thing he's kicked all season. 

He was already out injured. If he wasn't, I doubt it would have changed much.  Declan Gallagher has done far worse - admittedly served his time - than set about someone who probably thought they could fire abuse at him with no comeback.

Still, even though he's probably just reacting, it's an incredibly fucking stupid thing to do.  Whilst I'm all for footballers being able to fire back at moronic fans that think they've got a licence to do it with no repercussions, I would have them stop short of smashing up their property, and physically attacking them.  He definitely seems like he's not the brightest.