Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pitiful stuff.

In reality, our campaign ended in Kazakhstan anyway.  It would be nice entering the March play-off in better form than this though.

No real positives tonight at all.

I think the only positives was Christie looked good when he came on and David Marshall.

The rest were very very poor.

The thing is, when you look at countries who are similarly sized as us and doing well, they are usually gifted in the defensive department.

For all the talk about Wales with Bale, they had a very solid Ashley Williams who was playing consistently for a decent Premier League side and then a couple more options who were near that level (James Collins and Chester). NI have Johnny Evans who has always played at a good level.

We're just not capable of defending and we don't have centre backs near that quality to give us that spine. I get it's pish but it's utterly delusional this cycle we go on where fans cry out for Scottish based players in retaliation of Championship players not being good enough and then the reciprocal. Halkett or Lindsay or whoever isn't going to step into that and be much better - you can't expect someone to step into that team from a low level and instantly transform overnight, it's delusional and we see it with O'Donnell.

We need a couple of players who, regardless of what country they are playing in, are much better than what we have. There's no game plan where we sit back and can soak up pressure and then we're never going to be good enough to out football teams like that and go on the front foot.

Ever since we lost David Weir, the issue seems to have gotten worse year on year. Martin and Hanley were the best we've done since that era and both of them seemed to massively regress (although Hanley is back in the top flight after a bad season with injuries).

We badly need McKenna or Souttar or someone else to get a big move and make themselves a star.

We are an absolute minter of a National team.

Have a look at Group C, Northern Ireland top of their Group, with a mediocre gang of players, 3 points ahead of Germany and 6 points ahead of The Netherlands.

They have a manager who is able to get the best out of these mediocre players though.

Just now, Haggis nut said:

Did I say right up,?  You csnt camp the edge of your own box for 90 mins st any level. The midfield are then making 70 yard bursts to get up the park if the wsnt to attack. That's 70 yards back as well when we lose it. Have u ever played fitba? Nobody can keep that up

You've said you want the attackers pressing the opposition backline, and you're wanting the game squeezed so theres no gaps between lines for knock downs.

Where, exactly, are you expecting the defenders to be?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who should take our free kicks?

Griffiths but never made the team and he is our best striker at the moment or should we stick with mulgrew. Griffiths has had enough game time to start in that shite team. 

So now tell me why mulgrew should be taking them.

And gives us his conversion rate as you said you have the stats

Edited by kenny131

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I know some will come back with the "but who else is there?" response - but we've been obsessed with playing players from lower end EPL and Championship teams for years.

We need to play players who are in firm and fit our system - not just because of the league they are in.

Still shudder to think that £20 million was paid for McBurnie - the world has clearly gone mad.

But then this is the league that thinks Marcus Rashford is worth £100m +.

Strange to use Rashford as the example with all the ones you could pick in that league, I don’t remember ever seeing Man Utd (or anyone else) valuing Rashford at £100m. Maybe I’ve missed something.

For McBurnie I think the manager does get affected by price tags a lot. We do too. If we had drawn 0-0 tonight without McBurnie I would guess the majority of comments on here would be around the manager not using a £20m striker.

We are an absolute minter of a National team.
Have a look at Group C, Northern Ireland top of their Group, with a mediocre gang of players, 3 points ahead of Germany and 6 points ahead of The Netherlands.
They have a manager who is able to get the best out of these mediocre players though.

Maybe they're not so mediocre?

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

The thing is, when you look at countries who are similarly sized as us and doing well, they are usually gifted in the defensive department.

For all the talk about Wales with Bale, they had a very solid Ashley Williams who was playing consistently for a decent Premier League side and then a couple more options who were near that level (James Collins and Chester). NI have Johnny Evans who has always played at a good level.

We're just not capable of defending and we don't have centre backs near that quality to give us that spine. I get it's pish but it's utterly delusional this cycle we go on where fans cry out for Scottish based players in retaliation of Championship players not being good enough and then the reciprocal. Halkett or Lindsay or whoever isn't going to step into that and be much better - you can't expect someone to step into that team from a low level and instantly transform overnight, it's delusional and we see it with O'Donnell.

We need a couple of players who, regardless of what country they are playing in, are much better than what we have. There's no game plan where we sit back and can soak up pressure and then we're never going to be good enough to out football teams like that and go on the front foot.

Ever since we lost David Weir, the issue seems to have gotten worse year on year. Martin and Hanley were the best we've done since that era and both of them seemed to massively regress (although Hanley is back in the top flight after a bad season with injuries).

We badly need McKenna or Souttar or someone else to get a big move and make themselves a star.

McKenna and Devlin when fit are a cracking partnership. 

5 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Do you think you'll get the same effort and passion from someone who'd never even been to Scotland before their first cap as you would from someone who was born and bred here who've dreamt their whole lives of representing their country? 

Effort and passion are all fine and well if you have the technical ability to go with it. 

Just now, kenny131 said:

Griffiths but never made the team and he is our best striker at the moment or should we stick with mulgrew. Griffiths has had enough game time to start in that shite team. 

So now tell me why mulgrew should be taking them

Fucking hell.

You're raging that Mulgrew, who is on the pitch, is taking free kicks ahead of Griffiths, who is sitting on his couch?

FWIW Mulgrew has scored far, far more free kicks than Griffiths in his career. I think Griffiths' career tally sits at about 4.