Our Best XI

accies1874

4 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Calum MacGregor

Not necessarily first.choice -

John Souttar , Ryan Jack ,

Lawrence Shankland

I've absolutely no idea why you've thrown Lawrence Shankland into that list? Has he ever started a game for Scotland? He's currently 4th choice striker at best, a position we rarely if ever start more than one.

Jack's a bit unlucky that injuries and the emergence of Gilmour and McTominay as international class players has knocked him down the pecking order a bit but he hasn't been a starter since before the last Euros.

A fit and regularly playing Souttar is certainly a candidate at centre half but he's not currently a starter.

4 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Yawn 

mcGregor is hot and cold anyway but yet again decent but no more.

This on the other hand is simply the worst take I've seen on this site in quite some time.

5 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Yawn 

mcGregor is hot and cold anyway but yet again decent but no more.

agreed that left back can help win the game but you would swap a left back with a midfielder if they both have the same ability.

I'd say McGregor is the exact opposite of a 'hot and cold' player. I think he's consistently been one of our best players over the past year or so.

Your take on positions is pretty childish. I take it you just think that positions are more important the more advanced up the pitch they are on a tactics board?

The wing back positions are absolutely crucial to how this Scotland team plays. Whether I'd swap a certain player in one position for an equivilent player in another position is entirely dependent on what other options we'd have available. Right now I don't think I'd swap Robertson for a 'Robertson-equivalent' midfielder because, overall, I think that would weaken us.

There's a good argument to say if you're one of these 'one star man and 10 supporting characters' type teams, you'd want your star man to be an attacking player. But we're far from that.

I take it all back, McGregor is clearly shite and our left backs can't contribute. Ridiculous shouts.

On McGregor, I used to think he underperformed for Scotland, but since the Euro 2020 playoffs he's been excellent and there's an argument to be made that he's been our best player over the last 3-4 or so years.

Fuck me, I've seen some takes on this website, but Callum McGregor shouldn't be a starter for Scotland is up there with the worst.  Man's been superb for club and country for ages.

17 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'd say McGregor is the exact opposite of a 'hot and cold' player. I think he's consistently been one of our best players over the past year or so.

He is the literal opposite. But in the sense that he is just consistently very good, but never catches the eye in the way that McGinn, McTominay and even Gilmour can do.

I think the last game he was dropped for was the Euro2020 opener against Czechia - and boy was that a mistake!

38 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

He is the literal opposite. But in the sense that he is just consistently very good, but never catches the eye in the way that McGinn, McTominay and even Gilmour can do.

I think the last game he was dropped for was the Euro2020 opener against Czechia - and boy was that a mistake!

He's been dropped a few times since, presumably for rotation reasons, and I think we struggled in all of them (Moldova at home*, Faroe Islands away, Austria away). 

It probably wasn't an unpopular decision among fans to drop him for the Czech Republic game as he was off the back of a poorer season for Celtic and wasn't quite influencing games for Scotland like he is now - and that was emphasised by Gilmour breaking through - but since then he's become our most consistent player. 

*Not actually a terrible performance but got gradually worse until he came on and helped shore things up

On 23/06/2023 at 16:40, Gordon EF said:

It's a real testament to SSC that all the angst about which formation to play, how to fit Tierney and Roberston into the same team, etc, feels like a long way back. It's probably easy to underestimate what big challeneges these were and it's certainly taken a bit of time to find the right answers but it looks like we're there now.

and with where to play McTominay !

original list there guys, it’s the team that is played. Playing a left back as left mid smells of squashing the best 11 regardless of position, I understand we don’t have the choice of other places, and all you sabre rattlers for mcgregor missed the point. More about Scottish players playing in other leagues.

Is it me or is Chris clarke hitting the booze before his interviews, my only criticism is he’s obviously a boring drunk.

2 minutes ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Is it me or is Chris clarke hitting the booze before his interviews, my only criticism is he’s obviously a boring drunk.

Why are you claiming to be a Partick fan when its blatantly obvious youre a massive ***?

Shall I fill in the stars for you.

st Johnstone fan? No chance. I’m no so silly.

unbaited hook biter…. Yet again nope.

Pass….

im going to assume it was “all round good guy” in which case don’t be mean to my fellow jags please.

94CD8C98-13E0-4A82-AFEC-73F3E9EE2127.jpeg.720ea956a13962945162553603c52dae.jpeg   

24 minutes ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Shall I fill in the stars for you.

st Johnstone fan? No chance. I’m no so silly.

unbaited hook biter…. Yet again nope.

Pass….

im going to assume it was “all round good guy” in which case don’t be mean to my fellow jags please.

I thought it was incredibly noticeable that Callum McGregor was quite poor against Norway, it was so noticeable because it is so rare. A genuine 7 or 8/10 every game for us.
The Gilmour - McGregor double pivot type thing worked brilliantly in the past, and I hope it can do again.

On 26/06/2023 at 21:51, Mr. Brightside said:

I thought it was incredibly noticeable that Callum McGregor was quite poor against Norway, it was so noticeable because it is so rare. A genuine 7 or 8/10 every game for us.

Apart from the one you mentioned :)

Gunn
Hendry Hanley Tierney
Hickey Robertson
McTominay Gilmour McGregor
McGinn
Adams

Porteous has done well for Scotland so far, but I've been really impressed with Hendry. Hanley is touch and go, I think he gives us a certain degree of solidity that others don't in that back line. Souttar wouldn't be far away if he was fit, an excellent football player.

Beyond that, there's good cover/potential for the outfield positions – Patterson, Ramsay, Taylor, Cooper, Armstrong, McLean, Christie and Dykes among others I've probably missed.