Your First Football Game

Hedgecutter

This thread makes me feel fucking ancient.

My first Junior game, I got taken to Tynecastle in April 1966, Junior Cup semi, Bonnyrigg 1 Penicuik 0. Apparently the crowd was 11000. My uncle was captain of Penicuik but later, tragically dropped dead at the age of 46, walking his dogs on Xmas day in London.

First senior game, Rangers 6 Partick Thistle 1. September 1966. Got lifted over the turnstiles which saved 2 shillings or 10p. Got soaked, the steelwork was up at the Copland Road end but not the cover. I think Jim Forrest scored 3. Was puzzled by the strange songs and the merchandise featuring a man on a white horse. Crowd 26500.

First game was a friendly against Bolton Wandered I want to say around 1994 or 1995. We lost I think 2-1, I can't find a good link to fixtures around that time. Jason McAteer was the big marquee player and I managed to get his autograph. Seeing someone you've only seen in the football magazines was pretty cool. Alan Stubbs played too I think.
2nd game I believe we beat them the following season 1-0 with Andy Tod scoring.
There was a trophy up for grabs too, the Dunfermline Building Society Cup or something. 

They must’ve done a Scottish tour pre-season then because I went to them playing Caley Thistle at Telford Street. As you say, it was cool seeing guys like Stubbs, McAteer and Coyle.

15th March 1978 - Morton 1-2 Aberdeen (Scottish Cup Replay)

Morton had scored two goals in stoppage time at Pittodrie to earn this game. My mum's younger brother was a Morton diehard and he persuaded my dad to come along to the replay - and he took me too (aged 6). We've never looked back, despite me almost nodding off in school the next day.  Saw us lift the title and win promotion to the Premier League (alas, he didn't take me to the vital clincher against Airdrie).

Here's the Morton goal from that Aberdeen game - 

I have vague memories of watching Port Glasgow Juniors under the wee shed roof at Parklea - we went to this because my uncle was playing in goals for the Port. This may have been earlier than the Morton - Aberdeen game because I'm certain he was playing in Denmark in 78.