Your First Football Game

Hedgecutter

My slippery slope began on 4th March 1995 when my grandad, who lived in Kilmarnock at the time, took an 11yo me along to a nearly-fully refurbished Rugby Park. Ally Mitchell would go on to score a double for Kilmarnock as they beat a soon-to-be relegated Dundee Utd 2-0.

However, little did I know that my first football game would also be my first brush with death1 as I choked on a Werther's Original in the stand. Upon being smacked between the shoulders to eventually dislodge the offending object2, I believe that this particular sweet exited my esophagus in projectile fashion and hit the guy in front off the back of the head.

I remember they had an overly fancy dragon animation on the new electronic scoreboard for their keeper Dragoje Leković. Because of that I then presumed that the metal dragon in the town's Dean Country Park had been erected in his honour, although this turned out to be nonsense.

PHOTO GALLERY:

Dragoje sporting a fine goalkeeper top typical of the mid-90s, the sort that had luxuries such as padding and even long sleeves.  I presume that this was a Le Coq Sportif effort, something that was everywhere at the time but has since died out, a bit like Pogs (or Tazos3

lekovic.jpg

An old picture of the (then shiny, now neglected and highly oxidised) dragon in Dean Country Park.  The old man pictured is not my grandfather and it is possible that he is a midget (or perhaps a leprechaun) as I don't remember the dragon being that big.

4435437.jpg

A Werther's Original that so nearly killed me (not the one though) when an adult-sized one became lodged within my (then) child-sized esophagal passage.  Little did I know that they become incredibly slippery when coated with a thin film of saliva, hence even the best of us can swallow one by accident.  They're bound to be banned in countless countries by now.

werthers-candy-unwrapped.jpg

A strange seating pattern at Rugby Park.  My grandad told me that this was because the club ran out of money, but I would later discover that it was actually to do with planning regarding proximity to the adjacent residential buildings.  It makes you wonder what other lies he told.

f.jpg

FOOTNOTES:

1 first of three, or four if you include the time I was trapped in my flat toilet with no food for an entire weekend.

a handy trick that I would use years later on a (now ex) girlfriend who was choking on steak, something that should have impressed her at the time as I wasn't tempted to go straight for the somewhat dangerous Heimlich Manoeuvre like they do in all the films4.  However, whilst I was calm and collected, she was a somewhat inconsiderate panicky mess, something that did absolutely nothing to help what was a rather stressful high-pressure situation for me.

3 promotional plastic disc toys (and yet another choking hazard) that Walkers used to hide in their crisp packets. 

4 films, not 'movies'

Edited by Hedgecutter

When I was a few days old, we made a family trip to Kispest to watch Honved take on Ujpest Dozsa. 

I  can't remember anything about the game, but remember being told "See that hedge around the pitch? Remember about it, especially if soemeone from Brechin claims that their hedge is unique in 50 years time"

I never remembered this until now, but my relatives really are pretty prescient...

Brockville, 1970, or thereabouts. Saw Falkirk get their heads kicked in by someone, possibly Aberdeen. Heard lots of words I didn't understand, saw my first ever falling down drunk and learned that Brockville smelled of pee. An ignominious start but fortunately, my experience of following Falkirk since has been one long rollercoaster of success and glory. 

ETA: According to a site called worldfootball.net, Falkirk lost 3-0 at home to Aberdeen on Christmas Eve, 1971. I think that must've been the game I saw.

Edited by Shotgun

Its often something that upsets me, my lack of detailed memories of when I was young. I often wonder if I am normal in that I have various memories of being at Brockville as a youngster but I cant really recall details of matches, who they were against etc etc. 

So no I camt remember my very first game and thanks for upsetting me you arsehole

Dundee 5-1 Celtic in April.1980. I was too young to remember anything much about it tbh. My old man also took me to see Aberdeen thump United 3-0 at Tannadice in about 82 or 83. First Dundee game I can legit remember was a 3-1 win over Falkirk in Nov 87. He was on the committee of a local junior side so we didn't go to many senior games.

The first game I went to (I’m told) was a 2-1 win for Scotland over Latvia in 2001.

First game I have vague memories of being at would have been Thistle v either Hibs or Celtic (they definitely wore green). Must have been the 2002/03 season, when I was 8. Whoever it was beat Thistle 1-0.

My first home game was against Motherwell (I think) I sat right at the front of the main stand there was a red card a few goals and someone went of injured. I know my first away game was against Montrose in November when I was 10/11 and I think we won. I've had a season ticket since 14/15 so whatever the opposite of a glory hunter is, that's me.

I think it was 1993 ish Raith Rovers against some mob that used to be quite successful but have since folded due to financial issues finished 0-0.

I was stood on the terracing at the front of the main stand and the game was mobbed it was a dreach day and blowing a hoolie, I have a recollection of a player losing a boot in a tackle and hobbling about with one foot exposed until someone from the bench threw on a completly different boot so they could play on.

Edited by pub car king

Glentoran vs Portadown at the Oval in probably 1989 or 1990. And yes, it was every bit as shit as you'd imagine it would be. To top if all off, got back to the motor to find someone had panned the window in and I had to sit on broken glass on the road home.