Motherwell v Aberdeen

It would be nice if fans of other teams could be honest and realistic like Motherwell fans. I mean we were hardly brilliant today, but to go to Fir Park and come away with that result is actually exceptional. For 'Well fans to be honestly analysing the game speaks volumes. I must admit, had the score been reversed I wouldn't even be posting here tonight.

You just ken Hibs fans would be whining about us not playing like Brazil.

Here's hoping the diets do their big team tomorrow.

On 15/10/2019 at 10:58, akredz said:

Home win.

Dons fans to continue grumbling.

I should obviously give up the punditry lark

Pleasing, if surprising result, especially seeing the team list pre-match.

As as been said earlier, cudos to the M'well fans on here for their very magnanimous match reviews .

Robinson and McInnes are probably two of the most tactical managers in the league, did Robinson get a bit complacent by just starting the usual 4-3-3? 

Tbh I'm finding it pretty hard to analyse the game beyond us simply bottling it. This team's a lot of fun but mentally a bit fragile.

On 17/10/2019 at 10:58, thisGRAEME said:

I've decided to make the effort to get back from Newcastle on Saturday morning after a wedding, so apologies to all when we lose.

f**k sake you

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That’s, without question, our best and most dominant away performance this season.

Yeah I take it all back! Surprised that he left Campbell on the bench and that the team ended up being quite attacking. Looking at the team I assumed it was another defensive hoofball plan. 

When I saw the team yesterday I was very tempted to stay in the pub as really thought we were in for a doing.  Did not see that performance coming at all. Leigh was a revelation in midfield and has to play there next week. As someone else has said already we played the ball on the ground and the players looked so much more comfortable playing that way. Joe Lewis saving the penalty was massive as I am not sure we would have recovered from an early set back like that.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Yeah I take it all back! Surprised that he left Campbell on the bench and that the team ended up being quite attacking. Looking at the team I assumed it was another defensive hoofball plan. 

I was surprised that Campbell didn’t start as well, but in hindsight, Derek McInnes would have known it was liable to be a really tough match in the middle of the park and he went for a bit more experience and bite in there, and it worked.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Robinson and McInnes are probably two of the most tactical managers in the league, did Robinson get a bit complacent by just starting the usual 4-3-3? 

Tbh I'm finding it pretty hard to analyse the game beyond us simply bottling it. This team's a lot of fun but mentally a bit fragile.

Aye, it's kind of difficult to get past the feeling that we've bottled an opportunity, especially with missing a penalty inside 5 mins. Tbh, I think yesterday went the way a lot of us feared it might. There's a massive difference between not being aesthetically pleasing and being shite (we should know - we've seen both) and for all the grumbling around the place Aberdeen were/are 4th place. It's not like we've just been rolled over by a team at the bottom of the league, it's a team who are in direct competition with us at the moment.

We've seen it a couple of times already this season but we're not a good enough side to get away with underperforming and an Aberdeen side who aren't particularly easy on the eye are still going to be capable of beating a Motherwell side that haven't turned up.

Everyone was (rightly) praising our patience against St Mirren but they sat in and hoped to hit on the counter. Looking at Aberdeen's line up you'd have thought it was defensive but despite having the 6 defenders (or whatever) on the park Aberdeen pressed us and didn't allow the time in the same way. The result was you either had players taking the easy pass or just looking to get rid and when we did take the ball in they just rolled us over physically. Campbell getting caught on the ball for McGinn's goal was almost a carbon copy of Donnelly getting done in the same area of the park against Celtic.

The upshot was just a really disjointed performance. Chris Long did well to get in behind for the penalty and turned a decent through ball from Gallagher into a great one when he hit the post (though squaring to Polworth is the % ball) but other than that he just seemed to get swallowed up by Aberdeen's collection of Monstars. They did the same with our midfield - shut down the spaces and gaps and it completely neutralised Polworth effectiveness from open play while we only got 2 corners and very few decent set pieces to bring our plan B into the game. Maguire came up against more of an immovable object and clearly had less time and space than he did against St Mirren as well.

Aberdeen almost certainly "won the battle" all over the pitch. Which is annoying.

Robinson mentioned in his Sportsound interview that he felt that we were lacking a bit of experience in the side and I think that showed yesterday. The last time he mentioned it after we chucked the Ross County game I totalled up the number of games even younger guys like Campbell had played which - in hindsight - kind of missed the point. Once Hartley went off yesterday there really wasn't a McDonald-type player who'd drag an extra 5%-10% out those around him just by moaning if it wasn't happening.

Meh...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, it's kind of difficult to get past the feeling that we've bottled an opportunity, especially with missing a penalty inside 5 mins. Tbh, I think yesterday went the way a lot of us feared it might. There's a massive difference between not being aesthetically pleasing and being shite (we should know - we've seen both) and for all the grumbling around the place Aberdeen were/are 4th place. It's not like we've just been rolled over by a team at the bottom of the league, it's a team who are in direct competition with us at the moment.

We've seen it a couple of times already this season but we're not a good enough side to get away with underperforming and an Aberdeen side who aren't particularly easy on the eye are still going to be capable of beating a Motherwell side that haven't turned up.

Everyone was (rightly) praising our patience against St Mirren but they sat in and hoped to hit on the counter. Looking at Aberdeen's line up you'd have thought it was defensive but despite having the 6 defenders (or whatever) on the park Aberdeen pressed us and didn't allow the time in the same way. The result was you either had players taking the easy pass or just looking to get rid and when we did take the ball in they just rolled us over physically. Campbell getting caught on the ball for McGinn's goal was almost a carbon copy of Donnelly getting done in the same area of the park against Celtic.

The upshot was just a really disjointed performance. Chris Long did well to get in behind for the penalty and turned a decent through ball from Gallagher into a great one when he hit the post (though squaring to Polworth is the % ball) but other than that he just seemed to get swallowed up by Aberdeen's collection of Monstars. They did the same with our midfield - shut down the spaces and gaps and it completely neutralised Polworth effectiveness from open play while we only got 2 corners and very few decent set pieces to bring our plan B into the game. Maguire came up against more of an immovable object and clearly had less time and space than he did against St Mirren as well.

Aberdeen almost certainly "won the battle" all over the pitch. Which is annoying.

Robinson mentioned in his Sportsound interview that he felt that we were lacking a bit of experience in the side and I think that showed yesterday. The last time he mentioned it after we chucked the Ross County game I totalled up the number of games even younger guys like Campbell had played which - in hindsight - kind of missed the point. Once Hartley went off yesterday there really wasn't a McDonald-type player who'd drag an extra 5%-10% out those around him just by moaning if it wasn't happening.

Meh...

giphy.gif

Long did well to get in behind for the penalty?

If diving and conning the ref equals ‘did well’ in your eyes then says a lot about you. 
What followed with him rolling about like a scene from Platoon was even worse. 
Justice with a great save from a clearly incensed and fired up Lewis.

Sooner that cheating is eradicated from the game the better.

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was surprised that Campbell didn’t start as well, but in hindsight, Derek McInnes would have known it was liable to be a really tough match in the middle of the park and he went for a bit more experience and bite in there, and it worked.

Campbell not ready to dictate games yet, physically, tactically or ability wise.

Leighs use of the ball with varied range of passing was a pleasure to watch, and off the ball he was very effective aswell.

Edited by big al

13 minutes ago, big al said:

If diving and conning the ref equals ‘did well’ in your eyes then says a lot about you. 

You've missed my point but that's OK. I can see you seem to have a very strong opinion on this...crack on.

40 minutes ago, big al said:

Bookmark this the next time an Aberdeen player cons the ref which has probably happened plenty of times before and will no doubt happen plenty of times again. Not sure it was a penalty from MFC highlights and nor did I at the game. Long should be embarrassed by his antics to be fair. 
Above all else it was an excellent save rather than a poorly taken penalty. 

Come back on here with your moral superiority when your own team are 100% perfect - which means never........

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Jute said:

When I saw the team yesterday I was very tempted to stay in the pub as really thought we were in for a doing.  Did not see that performance coming at all. Leigh was a revelation in midfield and has to play there next week. As someone else has said already we played the ball on the ground and the players looked so much more comfortable playing that way. Joe Lewis saving the penalty was massive as I am not sure we would have recovered from an early set back like that.

We're destined to have Consi play left back forever 😂

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

We're destined to have Consi play left back forever 😂

It's bonkers this btw. Is Considine the most low-key consistent player in the league? I cannot wait for him to be turning up at fir park, 2025 and keeping whatever right winger we have there completely out the game with a deckchair and cigar oot.

1 hour ago, big al said:

:lol:

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's bonkers this btw. Is Considine the most low-key consistent player in the league? I cannot wait for him to be turning up at fir park, 2025 and keeping whatever right winger we have there completely out the game with a deckchair and cigar oot.

:lol:

It seems impossible that anyone could have more top flight appearances than considine. He’s the absolute epitome of what Aberdeen have been over the last few years. Good enough to play against non Celtic teams and be very good and win regularly. Then come up against Celtic with Forrest Armstrong Roberts and Sinclair etc and just be out of his depth when getting isolated 1 v1 and getting his pants pulled down. He truly is some boy though and been great for Aberdeen to have a constant performer like that.

Also when he scored a hat-trick against Dundee, hysterical 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Bookmark this the next time an Aberdeen player cons the ref which has probably happened plenty of times before and will no doubt happen plenty of times again. Not sure it was a penalty from MFC highlights and nor did I at the game. Long should be embarrassed by his antics to be fair. 
Above all else it was an excellent save rather than a poorly taken penalty. 

Come back on here with your moral superiority when your own team are 100% perfect - which means never........

It’s a blatant dive though, and should be stamped out the game, whether an Aberdeen player or an amateur player.

Should get a ban when proven as a dive, only way to eradicate.

At least you agree he acted embarrassingly.