Scotland's Place in the UK

Hedgecutter

Scotland's Place in the UK  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 15/12/2019 at 16:31, Fullerene said:

In the USA, California has nearly 40 million people while Wyoming has less than 600,000 and yet they both send two senators to Washington. 

Maybe not relevant to this thread  but any opinions welcome.

Good point and yes the Wyoming senators have the exact same voting power as Californian senators and Rhode Island etc, the answer for that is in America's official title of 'The United States of America' with emphasis on the word United.

However the real question is how much power, influence and authority do the likes of senators from Wyoming and RI have and the answer is minimal compared to Californian and the likes of New York state senators who have massive voting populations which are obviously critical in Presidential elections.

Edited by SandyCromarty

On 16/12/2019 at 21:40, Fullerene said:

If Scotland was independent but Shetland wanted to be independent - would that be demoracy?

If Shetland was independent but then Mid Yell wanted to be independent of Shetland.  What then?

I am talking as someone who has been to Mid Yell.

Does Mid-Yell have a separate legal system, education system and national church based on a Treaty of Union? The UK is an incorporating union rather than a conventional unitary nation state.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Does Mid-Yell have a separate legal system, education system and national church based on a Treaty of Union? The UK is an incorporating union rather than a conventional unitary nation state.

It's quite a small place.  There is a sign that says "Welcome to Mid-Yell" and before I encountered anyone there was another sign that said "Please come back".  

Not much opportunity to establish its history or political, administative or religious structures.  Maybe I should ask the next time I am there.

I have also been to Mid-Yell a few times or more accurately passed through it on the way to Unst. Would be surprised if many people ever stop. Yell is mainly one large featureless peat bog and not as scenic or fertile as Unst and Fetlar. There are some people who claim that Udal law is still applicable in some way in Shetland based on tortuous logic, but it's usually "unken folk fae sooth" that seem to push that concept nowadays, because Scots Law definitely holds sway. The SNP did very well in Orkney and Shetland at the election compared to how things were a generation ago. Give it another decade or two for the older generation that grew up without television to depart the scene and they might even be in with a shout of winning it, which is something I never thought could happen.

On 17/12/2019 at 11:10, wastecoatwilly said:

What would happen if they didn't take the oath?

Interesting question so I googled it and by not taking the oath MP's cannot take their seat or receive a salary plus they can also be fined £500 and have their seat declared vacant.

To me it's fuckin ridiculous that MP's have to give an oath of allegiance to the Crown when in fact they are voted in by the people.

This Crown oath by police, military, judges etc etc etc is outdated and undemocratic.

Fundamentally any oath should be to the country and citizens.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Interesting question so I googled it and by not taking the oath MP's cannot take their seat or receive a salary plus they can also be fined £500 and have their seat declared vacant.

To me it's fuckin ridiculous that MP's have to give an oath of allegiance to the Crown when in fact they are voted in by the people.

This Crown oath by police, military, judges etc etc etc is outdated and undemocratic.

If you're voted in by the people you can speak for the people feck the section 30.
No taxation without representation plus Sturgeon has the great seal as first minster 
The Lion rampant is our sovereign plus the general assembly is our peace and security.

Police officers in Scotland dont take an oath to the crown, they havent for at least 20 years. Their oath is to uphold the office of Constable.

On 02/01/2020 at 09:52, SandyCromarty said:

It’s the law.  It will become irrelevant once we are independent.

Just now, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

To be independent you need to have a vote, and win the vote. Neither are guaranteed at this point.

I don’t usually respond to your posts because they’re mainly shite.  This one isn’t.

You are correct; but until we are independent the issue of swearing an oath of loyalty wouldn’t make it into my top 500 of issues we need to highlight and fight against.

Anyone who makes this a ‘key issue’ is a self indulgent fanny.