Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

888 dead in the UK from yesterday. Still on the plateau then...

Miles below what it actually is too. Sometimes I can't tell if they're under playing it or over exaggerating. All that's certain is they're not telling the truth 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There’s Spain hit the 20k mark.

No long for the UK now then we’re officially in “oh, this hasn’t really gone jolly well has it” territory.

I was told on here repeatedly that I was a clown and "we're more of a South Korea" when I suggested things didn't look good, so we have nothing to worry about.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I was told on here repeatedly that I was a clown and "we're more of a South Korea" when I suggested things didn't look good, so we have nothing to worry about.

Who said that? 

I was told a while back that Scotland is doing well for a average nation. 

What a shit show of bad government plus a horrendous media, who were all too willing to almost crow about Italy to now, 'Ah this is jolly difficult times, still stiff upper lip, we didn't win two wars,' shite. 

Edited by Kejan

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I happened to tune in to BBC breakfast this morning and it was all jolly hockey sticks and good old major tom eh?

What a fucking broadcaster.

The propaganda across the media over the last few weeks has been wild.

I see that old lad is going to be some sort of guest of honour when they open the Excel hospital. Quite how putting the oldest man in the world outside a hospital is classed as essential travel I am not sure.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the Government have closed down the economy for shit and giggles.

I don't think anyone believes that.

If the government are given a model which says "500,000 will die" they really are put in a corner.

Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing, but the Swedish model seems to be a good balance atm. It's a pity that there was no opportunity to observe a similar strategy elsewhere before we had to act.

If the government are given a model which says "500,000 will die" they really are put in a corner.

Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing, but the Swedish model seems to be a good balance atm. It's a pity that there was no opportunity to observe a similar strategy elsewhere before we had to act.

Britain wouldn't be able to follow the Swedish model because it's full of cnuts quite frankly.

Our deaths would be 6 figures.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Q1.
In 2005, Ferguson said that up to 200 million people could be killed from bird flu. He told the Guardian that ‘around 40 million people died in 1918 Spanish flu outbreak… There are six times more people on the planet now so you could scale it up to around 200 million people probably.’ In the end, only 282 people died worldwide from the disease between 2003 and 2009.
How did he get this forecast so wrong? 

No surprise to see shit like thing being passed around by our usual know nothing know it alls.

For a start H5N1 has a very low human to human transmitability. 

What Ferguson actually said was....

Britain would be "overwhelmed" if a strain of the deadly bird flu virus spread to the UK, a leading scientist warned today.

Professor Neil Ferguson said it would be impossible to stop the spread of the virus once it reached British shores.

He warned that the only chance of avoiding a global disaster is to eliminate the strain of the disease as soon as possible at its source in south-east Asia.

"What can we do if it hits our shores? We couldn't stop it. There would be a constant number of new cases and we would be overwhelmed very rapidly," said Prof Ferguson.

The H5N1 avian flu strain, which infects poultry, has already killed more than 50 people in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand.

Experts say almost all the human bird flu deaths so far have resulted from an animal passing the virus to a human, but the World Health Organisation has consistently warned that if the virus mutated it could spread rapidly from person to person, creating a global pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/aug/03/birdflu.health

IF the disease mutated to be able to pass human to human it could cause a global pandemic. So we can see the article is quotemining and the person promoting it has done zero research to validate its trustworthyness. 
Q2.

In 2009, Ferguson and his Imperial team predicted that swine flu had a case fatality rate 0.3 per cent to 1.5 per cent. His most likely estimate was that the mortality rate was 0.4 per cent. A government estimate, based on Ferguson’s advice, said a ‘reasonable worst-case scenario’ was that the disease would lead to 65,000 UK deaths.
In the end swine flu killed 457 people in the UK and had a death rate of just 0.026 per cent in those infected.
Why did the Imperial team overestimate the fatality of the disease? Or to borrow Robinson's words to Hancock this morning: 'that prediction wasn't just nonsense was it? It was dangerous nonsense.'

I can find no source for this. 

I did find a long boring paper on school closuers. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/aug/03/birdflu.health
Hard to argue with what ever was said without knowing the context and what counts as ‘reasonable worst-case scenario’, it is very likely we never got anywhere near such a scenario.

Q3.
In 2001 the Imperial team produced modelling on foot and mouth disease that suggested that animals in neighbouring farms should be culled, even if there was no evidence of infection. This influenced government policy and led to the total culling of more than six million cattle, sheep and pigs – with a cost to the UK economy estimated at £10 billion.
It has been claimed by experts such as Michael Thrusfield, professor of veterinary epidemiology at Edinburgh University, that Ferguson’s modelling on foot and mouth was ‘severely flawed’ and made a ‘serious error’ by ‘ignoring the species composition of farms,’ and the fact that the disease spread faster between different species.
Does Ferguson acknowledge that his modelling in 2001 was flawed and if so, has he taken steps to avoid future mistakes?

This is just a quote from one scientist saying they disagree with one model. Again no source and nothing to base any assesment of the scientific work on. Just the sort of drivel you would expect from a sewer like The Spectator and the kind of idiots that get their science from gossip columns. 

Q4.

In 2002, Ferguson predicted that between 50 and 50,000 people would likely die from exposure to BSE (mad cow disease) in beef. He also predicted that number could rise to 150,000 if there was a sheep epidemic as well. In the UK, there have only been 177 deaths from BSE.
Does Ferguson believe that his ‘worst-case scenario’ in this case was too high? If so, what lessons has he learnt when it comes to his modelling since?
Q5.

Worst case scenarios are almost always too high. WTF, because its the worst case, not most likely. 

Ferguson’s disease modelling for Covid-19 has been criticised by experts such as John Ioannidis, professor in disease prevention at Stanford University, who has said that: ‘The Imperial College study has been done by a highly competent team of modellers. However, some of the major assumptions and estimates that are built in the calculations seem to be substantially inflated.’
Has the Imperial team’s Covid-19 model been subject to outside scrutiny from other experts, and are the team questioning their own assumptions used? What safeguards are in place?

"Just Asking Questions", instead of asking the actual professor this shitstirrer makes an accusation under the guise of a question. Again one dissenting opinion is presented, classic trick used by the tobacco lobby and climate change deniers. It does nothing to try to contextualise how it is seen by the wider community, just cherry picking quotes. 

Q6.
On 22 March, Ferguson said that Imperial College London’s model of the Covid-19 disease is based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code, that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus.
How many assumptions in the Imperial model are still based on influenza and is there any risk that the modelling is flawed because of these assumptions?

So what. 

I mean a fucking gossip column 

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem was going from abandoning testing, tracing and quarantining when the spread became in country, whilst they'd little about that anyway, and let herd immunity take over, then switching track after it was too late to follow the German model.

2 hours ago, steve55 said:

Chinese Coronavirus Is a Man Made Virus According to Luc Montagnier the Man Who Discovered HIV

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chinese-coronavirus-is-a-man-made-virus-according-to-luc-montagnier-the-man-who-discovered-hiv/

Chinese researchers are said to have used coronaviruses in their work to develop an AIDS vaccine. HIV RNA fragments are believed to have been found in the SARS-CoV-2 genome.

No they have not. Id say this is batshit but then again batshit is closer to how we got here than some "AIDS vaccine gone rogue".