Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

From what I remember, I think you were infectious when you were basically in hospital/fucked in bed which helped stop it spreading. Problem with this is you're infectious without knowing you have it. 

Yeah. To some degree there is a reaction to human activity. It makes sense that the successful viruses would mutate to drive towards longer incubation rates and longer periods of asymptomatic behaviour as anything that flagged itself up too early could be isolated and suppressed before it became widespread. 

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about mate. 

2 pages ago you were advocating doing nothing because it's the only option we have, now you're saying we need an antibody test before we can know what our options are. 🤦‍♂️ 

When did I advocate doing nothing? I'm 100% for the vulnerable being on lockdown and I haven't posted anything to say otherwise, although I can see why there attitude may be f**k it. But I'm also against healthy people being on lockdown, effecting mental health, job and financial security. I am for building immunity that way, as opposed to sitting about twiddling our thumbs until the vaccine comes along to protect the vulnerable.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I believe it's to highlight the nonsense that young people who want to live their lives are being branded selfish for not wanting to potentially have their enjoyment of their younger years curtailed for a (potentially) indefinite period to protect those who, having already lived the best years of their lives, paid their mortgages off, and are generally free from the financial concerns many are now faced with, are content to ignore the advice and restrictions for everyone that have been put in place to specifically protect them

OK fair enough. Every oap I know is staying in the house firmly and has done since restrictions came in place, some longer. So that's that put to bed 😐

4 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

When did I advocate doing nothing? I'm 100% for the vulnerable being on lockdown and I haven't posted anything to say otherwise, although I can see why there attitude may be f**k it. But I'm also against healthy people being on lockdown, effecting mental health, job and financial security. I am for building immunity that way, as opposed to sitting about twiddling our thumbs until the vaccine comes along to protect the vulnerable.

Herd immunity is doing nothing 

Edited by madwullie

9 minutes ago, renton said:

I think the R0 value was broadly similar but it was symptomatic earlier I think. 

It was fatal for around 1 in 10 people who caught it, so transmission was often brought to a brutal end. 

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I believe it's to highlight the nonsense that young people who want to live their lives are being branded selfish for not wanting to potentially have their enjoyment of their younger years curtailed for a (potentially) indefinite period to protect those who, having already lived the best years of their lives, paid their mortgages off, and are generally free from the financial concerns many are now faced with, are content to ignore the advice and restrictions for everyone that have been put in place to specifically protect them

Should have said btw, my understanding of the restrictions is that 85 year old women are allowed to go to the shops, and old guys are allowed on buses. 

2 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

And I see first hand on a daily basis that not being the case, but well done to the pensioners that you know

OAPs don't have to stay in the house btw. Going to the shops is not flouting restrictions 

Dont tell me, you see them gathering in groups and visiting relatives three times a day

Edited by madwullie

I listened to part of an interview with a Tory MP this morning on Radio 5 Live, I think it was Greg Clark who chairs the Science and Technology Select Committee.

He was very critical, of the government’s early approach to testing.  Said it totally lacked ambition and that the U.K. should have taken the same approach as SK and “thrown absolutely everything at testing”.

It would have produced far better information upon which to determine a response.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

those who, having already lived the best years of their lives, paid their mortgages off, and are generally free from the financial concerns many are now faced with

Aye, pensioners eh. Living off the fat of the land in their oaksoft style fully paid off bungalows, probably a business on the side. What are they like? Lowest pensions in Europe my arse!

Edited by welshbairn

Should have said btw, my understanding of the restrictions is that 85 year old women are allowed to go to the shops, and old guys are allowed on buses. 

85 year old women with health conditions should not be in the shops

Just now, welshbairn said:

Aye, pensioners eh. Living off the fat of the land in their oaksoft style fully paid off bungalows, probably a business on the side. What are they like?

Tbf I didn't say that was my opinion. I only answered Wullie's question.

10 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

A fair chunk of those vulnerable folk will have had to endure similar during and after WWII, hopefully they didn't moan half as much back in the day. 

Edited by ayrmad

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

85 year old women with health conditions should not be in the shops

Only if they're shielding. Has she had a shielding letter? What are her health conditions? It just sounds a bit...convenient to me 🤨

Just now, madwullie said:

Only if they're shielding. Has she had a shielding letter? What are her health conditions? It just sounds a bit...convenient to me 🤨

Convenient?

If you were asked to design a human most likely to die from complications of Covid-19, an 85 year old with underlying health conditions would be a pretty good place to start.

A lot on "convenient" stories about today, maybe it's a symptom. Hope the stage 4 cancer sufferers being refused treatment was one them.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Convenient?

If you were asked to design a human most likely to die from complications of Covid-19, an 85 year old with underlying health conditions would be a pretty good place to start.

lol