Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Another BBC confused Facebook mum story.

Erm, you can meet up with people when your kids are at the school.

billie eilish obvi GIF by megan motown

Rest of her family are probably like thank f**k for that she'll naw be coming roon wi' that horde of greeting faced wee nyaffs.

Edited by dirty dingus

BBC Scotland decides not to broadcast any more live briefings -
and the blame game has kicked off with Jackie Baillie in the lead as chief culprit being accused of lobbying BBC Scotland.
I always thought it was always good to keep the public informed and up to date with figures and any changes that will affect our lifes.
BBC Scotland deciding to censor information, is this politically motivated, is it because it gets in the way of more interesting TV because the viewing figures for these have fallen, have the BBC Scotland decided for us that its no longer necessary?
It is going to edited and dealt with slightly differently with only the important bits being shown, which is interesting as this is censorship who decides what is relevant, our FM or BBC Scotland?

If it means we no longer need to listen to the moronic questions from so called journalists then I'm all for it to be honest

12 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
20 minutes ago, Snafu said:
and the blame game has kicked off with Jackie Baillie in the lead as chief culprit being accused of lobbying BBC Scotland.
I always thought it was always good to keep the public informed and up to date with figures and any changes that will affect our lifes.
BBC Scotland deciding to censor information, is this politically motivated, is it because it gets in the way of more interesting TV because the viewing figures for these have fallen, have the BBC Scotland decided for us that its no longer necessary?
It is going to edited and dealt with slightly differently with only the important bits being shown, which is interesting as this is censorship who decides what is relevant, our FM or BBC Scotland?

If it means we no longer need to listen to the moronic questions from so called journalists then I'm all for it to be honest

A weekly update would suffice tbh. Deaths and accurate hospital numbers.

Might reduce the level of fear if it's not in our faces every day, and people can see the numbers that really matter (even better if shown versus total deaths / people in hospital) going down / not rising

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
18 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

A weekly update would suffice tbh. Deaths and accurate hospital numbers.

Might reduce the level of fear if it's not in our faces every day, and people can see the numbers that really matter going down / not rising

A daily ten minute briefing to put out the necessary data on infections, deaths, warnings to the bams, changes in travel etc, no press trying to find a headline and repeating the same questions ad nauseam ... also it serves a purpose in winding up the ultra  yoons a bit.

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This second wave in Scotland certainly isn't rising as steeply as the first one.

Daily cases look to be rising but its not a sharp climb at all.

2.71% of the people tested, tested positive.

We really really really could ride this out in Phase 3.

CAUTION - people in the Glasgow and Lanarkshire areas need to behave themselves, they are letting the team down.

And our R value has gone up 1.5 upper, 1.1 lower.

No ones panicking, frustrated a bit, blaming Sturgeon for keeping the toys locked in the toy box rather than blaming the naughty kids.

No need to protect the yuppies just yet with the Swedish model.

This ends today's briefing.

It will be interesting to see how steeply cases rise when universities and colleges reopen in the next few weeks.

That and another few weeks of school kids playing Pass the Covid could see infections rise dramatically.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Absolutely baffling that anyone would advocate providing the population with less information during a global pandemic.

This is it. Anyone is absolutely free to watch precisely zero of these things. I haven't seen them for weeks. The fact that Fattie Baillie and that old drunk Foulkes are so raging about public information broadcasts during a global pandemic says far more about them than anyone else.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/coronavirus-scotland-175-new-cases-22667315
The number of people diagnosed with the coronavirus in Scotland has increased by 175.

Who said the figures were going down?
Usually when you add a number to another number the new number is a larger number than the previous number, unless its a negative.

word salad that lad

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Yeah that is absolutely a good point....s

I've read about estimates by self appointed experts from the USA on COVID-19 cases among students rising just a couple of weeks after the start of the studying year and they were way out by quite a bit, the reality was far higher.

Yeah, iirc they hadn't factored in the likelihood of first year uni students wanting to party. 

I think they were two physicists who had come up with the model. Just goes to show that it's not just on p&b you find people who seem to consider themselves more knowledgeable than people who have studied epidemiology for their entire lives. 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah, iirc they hadn't factored in the likelihood of first year uni students wanting to party. 

I think they were two physicists who had come up with the model. Just goes to show that it's not just on p&b you find people who seem to consider themselves more knowledgeable than people who have studied epidemiology for their entire lives. 

Good luck to the hi-vis wearing police rejects trying to shut down gatherings of more than 6 during Freshers' week!

22 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What fear?

You only need to look at the number of 🙏🏻,😭, "too soon," "sHuT tEh pUbS," "wait two weeks" type comments all over the place to realise a sizeable number of people are still shit scared.

A similar number are, as you have highlighted

25 minutes ago, Snafu said:

getting frustrated or mildly pissed off right now

And there are those in the middle who are a bit like

this-is-fine.0.jpg

blissfully unaware of what is coming in a little over 7 weeks.

A daily ten minute briefing to put out the necessary data on infections, deaths, warnings to the bams, changes in travel etc, no press trying to find a headline and repeating the same questions ad nauseam ... also it serves a purpose in winding up the ultra  yoons a bit.
AFAIK the briefing isn't stopping just BBC live TV coverage. Still going ahead with all the daily stats and being streamed live by BBC. Does seem a bit pointless without the coverage but it gives the SG a perfect excuse that the "message isn't getting across" .

Just release the stats and figs daily. The 3 weekly review may well continue to be televised in some way as it formed part of FMQs.

I'd have thought that in a worldwide pandemic where the situation is changing on a daily basis and sometimes with a divergence between WM and SG, it would be part of the BBC's public service broadcasting remit to have a daily update.

What i took from the briefings the other day is that we will be more or less doing the same as we are now till well into next year with entertainment and sports to reopen with heavy restrictions in a couple months

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Yeah that is absolutely a good point....s

I've read about estimates by self appointed experts from the USA on COVID-19 cases among students rising just a couple of weeks after the start of the studying year and they were way out by quite a bit, the reality was far higher.

Cases overall in America have fallen by more than 40% since mid-July, though.

A bunch of young students living and interacting mainly with themselves getting it and getting over it might not be the worst thing either.