Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well, yeah. I meant purely in terms of the numbers just increasing again.

Lockdowns are just putting off increases in cases, not actively trying to combat the issue. 

The physical, mental, psychological and financial impact of the first lockdown will be felt for years worldwide, not just in this country. The thought of going back to that and putting even more people, communities and small businesses through it again is the nuclear option and needs to be avoided at all costs. 

2 days ago bojo classified it as disastrous

Now saying would definitely want to avoid it, or something like

Sleep walking into mass unemployment

'Nicola is doing a wonderful job, though, showing leadership throughout, in contrast to Westminster, if only she was on the telly more'

Despite Scotland having the third highest rates in Europe, the care home situation, the pause on cancer treatments, the decision to go for full capacity on schools rather than the blended model, (to appease the Us for Them campaign), Catherine Calderwood (not sacked, but enabled to 'resign'), Scotand using a furlough scheme which is funded by the UK Treasury...

Edited by Jedi

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

'Nicola is doing a wonderful job, though, showing leadership throughout, in contrast to Westminster, if only she was on the telly more'

Despite Scotland having the third highest rates in Europe, the care home situation, the pause on cancer treatments, the decision to go for full capacity on schools rather than the blended model, (to appease the Us for Them campaign), Catherine Calderwood (not sacked, but enabled to 'resign'), Scotand using a furlogouh scheme which is funded by the UK Treasury...

Aye but she done better than England...

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a major European country outside the UK that is considering another full scale lockdown. 

I suppose it depends how you define full scale lockdown. Our previous lockdown wasn't particularly harsh, relatively speaking, and I can't see any new one even being as tough as that. Are we really going to have everyone off work etc? More likely an extension of what is going on just now, maybe up the masking rules, restaurants etc back to takeaway if they can, wfh where possible, but I think far far more people will be at work / using public transport etc. 

I could be wrong after all I'm just some pleb on P&B, but there doesn't seem to be much appetite down south to re-introduce the toughest measures (which were actually pretty loose) we had back in april

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Quite....the reality being that she hasn't.

You must be mistaken.

We had a longer lockdown which means the prevelance is five times lower here.

We are being rewarded for our patience and following the guidance by getting more normality back quicker.

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Despite Scotland having the third highest rates in Europe, the care home situation, the pause on cancer treatments, the decision to go for full capacity on schools rather than the blended model, (to appease the Us for Them campaign), Catherine Calderwood (not sacked, but enabled to 'resign'), Scotand using a furlough scheme which is funded by the UK Treasury...

I mean I'm no snp cheerleader, but the only thing that I can see there that Scotland are the only one with such issue is the schools thing (and that's because Im not au fait with elsewhere. 

Everything else is either out of their hands, or has been very very similar all over the globe. I mean sure it would have been nice had we been the only ones not to cavalierly chuck covid+ patients back to care homes, but that's pretty much been a global error / mistake / catastrophe / oversight depending on how kind you're feeling 

I suppose it depends how you define full scale lockdown. Our previous lockdown wasn't particularly harsh, relatively speaking, and I can't see any new one even being as tough as that. Are we really going to have everyone off work etc? More likely an extension of what is going on just now, maybe up the masking rules, restaurants etc back to takeaway if they can, wfh where possible, but I think far far more people will be at work / using public transport etc. 
I could be wrong after all I'm just some pleb on P&B, but there doesn't seem to be much appetite down south to re-introduce the toughest measures (which were actually pretty loose) we had back in april
When Turkey's infection rate started to creep up they toughened their face mask requirements - not just indoors but outdoors as well - with absolutely no exemptions.

It seems to have been effective as the infection rate has now plateaued.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When Turkey's infection rate started to creep up they toughened their face mask requirements - not just indoors but outdoors as well - with absolutely no exemptions.

It seems to have been effective as the infection rate has now plateaued.

Can't be. I've been assured that masks are useless and actually cause people to breathe in deadly chemicals, CO2, rendering them more dangerous than licking a covid patient. 

What I find baffling is that literally thousands of millions of Muslim women have never mentioned how dangerous it is to wear cloth on your face. 

Edit but yeah seriously, that sounds more like the path I would imagine we will go down.

Problem is, as cases rise, if admissions start to track them, putting in measures at that point is too late. They need to be pre-empting admissions to maximise efficacy of the measures, which leads to anger whne it looks like you're putting in measures that aren't required 

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

What I find baffling is that literally thousands of millions of Muslim women have never mentioned how dangerous it is to wear cloth on your face. 

Certainly less dangerous than not wearing one in that example...

Who is claiming masks are dangerous?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

There is no way you dredge the sunny-side of covid twitter for graphs and info and don't come across people claiming you are inhaling CO2, you are breathing in various other shit that causes various life altering conditions etc. 

The point, Wullie, surely is that the media narrative has spun Nicola as having managed the whole Covid situation 'magnificently'. As Health has been a Devolved matter since 1999, any decisions taken on Care Homes, the call to pause Cancer treatments etc has been Scottish govt policy. It doesn't matter if the rest of the world got it 'wrong' as well....the fact remains that NS has been touted as head and shoulders above the other administrations. Education which is also of course a Devolved matter, again doesn't matter if England chooses to return schools to full capacity, (which the rights and wrongs which that decision entails), ...Scotland was the first to do so, within the UK context.

The hard questions won't be asked, and the media will continue to laud NS, but ultimately, both Westminster and Holyrood have not had a 'good' Covid record.

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

There is no way you dredge the sunny-side of covid twitter for graphs and info and don't come across people claiming you are inhaling CO2, you are breathing in various other shit that causes various life altering conditions etc. 

😂

I thought you meant on here.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you type are face masks dangerous into Google, its basically a page of fact checks debunking the many claims that face masks are dangerous. 

Maybe those people who shouted that push have realised that it's bullshit and changed their view since then, but something tells me they are probably quite entrenched and still using those debunked arguments.