Coronavirus (COVID-19)

You could always debate what I'm saying rather than reducing debate to snide remarks, something you have a right wee moan about on an almost daily basis.
In any case, it's actually experts that I'm asking to be given airtime on this rather than politicians leading the narrative when it's clear they're talking shite.
What do you mean its a smokescreen?
The latest increase in cases and greater percentage of the new variant says that its more transmissible. Yes its possible that theyre using this as a blunt tool to stop people travelling at Christmas time but its for a reason. How are people still thinking this is a hoax or something?
Some prank.

A look at social media this morning is eye watering stuff. Imagine letting the football team you support dictate your thoughts and opinions on a deadly virus that's sweeping the planet....

(Sadly Rangers/Celtic stuff is in every fabric of society. This is why there won't be significant crowds at football in Scotland until such a time as those two can have significant crowds. The grief and ramifications would be too much. Old firm fans make me sick)

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You could always debate what I'm saying rather than reducing debate to snide remarks, something you have a right wee moan about on an almost daily basis.

In any case, it's actually experts that I'm asking to be given airtime on this rather than politicians leading the narrative when it's clear they're talking shite.

Tbh i think it's probable experts are involved given how many countries have banned us from going there. That will hit them in the pocket, so unlikely to be a decision based on uninformed conjecture, knee jerk panic, or listening to Boris Johnston. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Tbh i think it's probable experts are involved given how many countries have banned us from going there. That will hit them in the pocket, so unlikely to be a decision based on uninformed conjecture, knee jerk panic, or listening to Boris Johnston

This is really petty Wullie, but every time I see you type his name wrong it baffles me. How can you not know how to spell the name of the PM?!

If the changes allow this one to infect weans more easily then it will have put the shitters up them because of how kids transmit every other respiratory virus.

They've taken a hammer to crack a nut cause it's coincided with christmas so until they figure out more info we're stuck like this, it's not bullshit, mutations are a thing but it's probably not as doomsday as they are portraying it just now but they needed to lay the foundations for canceling Christmas and forcing schools to limit again.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This mutation pish is a complete smokescreen. I really wish we'd stop talking about it. The virus that started in China wasn't the virus that hit the UK or even Italy. It has been mutating from the start, this is nothing new. If it is a more infectious strain then in the short term you need to do better with isolating people, which if we'd used the last 9 months in any sort of efficient manner we might have a track and trace system that was suitable and actually worked, but the long term approach hasn't changed. The vaccine will still work and the scientists working on the vaccine have already said it shouldn't be too much of a ball ache to make a slightly different one if required. 

It's being used to railroad through tougher restrictions in the new year and it's not going to wash. We're not having the "adult discussion" on this, we're being told something scary is happening so stay home until further notice, but the actual facts of the new strain tell a different, not very scary story.

Tend to agree with this. I don’t think we should be shutting everything down again. If the measures - wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing - work then why do we need to shut everything down again?

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

A look at social media this morning is eye watering stuff. Imagine letting the football team you support dictate your thoughts and opinions on a deadly virus that's sweeping the planet....

(Sadly Rangers/Celtic stuff is in every fabric of society. This is why there won't be significant crowds at football in Scotland until such a time as those two can have significant crowds. The grief and ramifications would be too much. Old firm fans make me sick)

9EC1B25C-01FC-4989-B5B4-5FEDD585D0EA.jpeg

This new strain - supposedly more transmissible than before. But also no evidence to suggest it'll make people any more I'll than before.

I wonder if (trying to be optimistic here) it might in fact prove to be milder than before (ultimately for a virus to survive and multiply it can't afford to be too deadly). Is it possible that in a couple of months this may actually prove to be a positive turn of events?

Or am I trying too hard!

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This new strain - supposedly more transmissible than before. But also no evidence to suggest it'll make people any more I'll than before.

I wonder if (trying to be optimistic here) it might in fact prove to be milder than before (ultimately for a virus to survive and multiply it can't afford to be too deadly). Is it possible that in a couple of months this may actually prove to be a positive turn of events?

Or am I trying too hard!

My cousin is a science guy and he says this too, if it's too nasty it will burn itself out as it runs out of hosts, so a weaker strain that becomes more contagious due to hosts being less ill with it means the more  succesful it will be in the charts.

This mutation pish is a complete smokescreen. I really wish we'd stop talking about it. The virus that started in China wasn't the virus that hit the UK or even Italy. It has been mutating from the start, this is nothing new. If it is a more infectious strain then in the short term you need to do better with isolating people, which if we'd used the last 9 months in any sort of efficient manner we might have a track and trace system that was suitable and actually worked, but the long term approach hasn't changed. The vaccine will still work and the scientists working on the vaccine have already said it shouldn't be too much of a ball ache to make a slightly different one if required. 
It's being used to railroad through tougher restrictions in the new year and it's not going to wash. We're not having the "adult discussion" on this, we're being told something scary is happening so stay home until further notice, but the actual facts of the new strain tell a different, not very scary story.
It has been mutating since the start at a rate of one or two mutations a month. This variation has shown 17 mutations all at once.

Probably not worth worrying about though, eh?

Just now, Mr X said:

It has been mutating since the start at a rate of one or two mutations a month. This variation has shown 17 mutations all at once.

Probably not worth worrying about though, eh?

Possibly not, entirely depends on the type of mutation.

The above reads like you think that a mutation must be a bad one, which isn’t the case. You’ve even correctly pointed out that it has been mutating constantly since the start of the pandemic.

Tend to agree with this. I don’t think we should be shutting everything down again. If the measures - wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing - work then why do we need to shut everything down again?
Because its more contagious, more people get sick and hospitals get overun and people die needlessly.
Were only months away from vaccine sorting it.
The lockdown is a blunt tool but it works, the failure is in us doing nothing about testing and track and trace when locked down.

Not doubting the voracity of the claims made about this mutation but the Brexit shitshow has apparently been shoved well down the "things we should be worrying about" list. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

Not doubting the voracity of the claims made about this mutation but the Brexit shitshow has apparently been shoved well down the "things we should be worrying about" list. 

I know this isn’t what you’re saying, but if this was a conspiracy theory that it’s being used to hide the shambolic brexit we are walking into then it wouldn’t make sense for Sturgeon to jump on the bandwagon. She is absolutely desperate to highlight the terrible job they’ve done as much as possible, rather than let it be quietly ignored in favour of the virus.