Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, Left Back said:
It is, I stated this on this thread a few days ago.

Not long to wait then for the public verdict. I also don't buy this "the cult" stuff. A mere 20 years ago Labour could have put up a 200yo skeletal corpse in places like North and East Ayrshire and as long as it was wearing a red rosette it would have been elected. In my younger days I did polling clerk work at elections, people used to come in and actually ask us "which ones the labour box". It's nonsense to think the SNP just have to turn up to be re-elected. It's an insult to public intelligence. If enough people are unhappy at their handling of it they will lose, it will (or should be) the main angle of attack for the opposition parties and if they can't win in that scenario I doubt they will ever get a better chance. To say there is no accountability of politicians is simply untrue.

Absolute rot.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
I guess it depends on your definition of everyone.
The vulnerable and those with significant comorbidities plus many front line health workers get a free jab. Others can choose to purchase the flu jab. When I worked I got a free flu jab, I pay for one now. I'm not sure this meets the definition of "everyone".

I meant everyone who gets it so yes your right. If you get a flu jab you get it annually. I suspect C19 could well end up the same.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

People talk in this thread in absolute certainties as if they know everything. The vast majority of us know next to nothing, mostly having picked up a bit here and there from the same twitter / newspaper accounts and we've decided we like the cut of one jib or another. 

A few months ago noone was talking about mutations. Then the SA and Kent mutations appeared, and it was very much pss viruses mutate all the time, more phear mongering - yet here we are, policy is now (rightly) being considered based on these mutations. It wasn't fear mongering it was an advance in the situation and we all had to get up to speed on that knowledge, based on whoever we've decided is the god of virology's opinion. 

Were lapping up the Israeli vaccine results, who are using atm 100% Pfizer and expecting that things here will go exactly the same as we use a hybrid of vaccines with different jagging scales. 

Things change - stuff, both good and bad, bites you in the arse and new paths have to be taken based on that. 

We've had more u-turns than a night looking for ching in East Kilbride, yet we are still demanding extremely specific road maps using extremely specific numbers that may or may not still mean anything by the time we get to that point.

It's a fluid situation and lives have been lost by making plans too far in the future and having to stick by them. I agree it's fucking murder and there are a few unanswereds that will require some answers soon,and I'm sure there will be answers. Others aren't so sure and are seething about that. Fair enough. Doesn't mean we need to wire into each other with all the c***s of the day because we disagree on what might happen in a month or so. We all want the same things

23 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't know when furlough will end that's just my personal outside date for those things happening, no point in me setting a target that will not or is unlikely to materialise, I prefer Conservative targets. 

Authoritarian pish.   I'm on board with the Jan-March lockdown but there needs to be a 'haud the bus moment.  A line in the sand, and I and others don't feel comfortable with the noise emanating from our governments (plural).    

The vaccine programme is working excellently in all nations of the UK - let's roll it out asap - and get swiftly back to normal.    

From a personal point of view - because it counters other views it's been by far the easiest of my life.  I've been walking loads, golfing loads and getting paid £7..5 per month for doing nothing.  I live in a rural location so it's been great for me but the bigger picture isn't me and we need to return to normal as soon as the vast majority of at risk are jabbed.  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

2 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Authoritarian pish.   I'm on board with the Jan-March lockdown but there needs to be a 'haud the bus moment.  A line in the sand, and I and others don't feel comfortable with the noise emanating from our governments (plural).    

The vaccine programme is working excellently in all nations of the UK - let's roll it out asap - and get swiftly back to normal.    

From a personal point of view - because it counters other views it's been by far the easiest of my life.  I've been walking loads, golfing loads and getting paid £2.5 per month for doing nothing.  I live in a rural location so it's been great for me but the bigger picture isn't me and we need to return to normal as soon as the vast majority of at risk are jabbed.  

That'll be March fucked then. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What is. You just need to read on here the number of previous SNP voters who are publicly stating they will not vote for them if they haven't announced a sensible reopening plan. Why would that not be repeated countrywide ?

It's not exactly Putin's Russia we live in !

That figure will equal about 10 on here.   There's the tens of thousands TV viewers who trust Nicola's orator skill and through time the SG's vaccination priorities will of course be a vote winner.  

3 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

That figure will equal about 10 on here.   There's the tens of thousands TV viewers who trust Nicola's orator skill and through time the SG's vaccination priorities will of course be a vote winner.  

That's democracy,I'm glad we're not electing a government on the opinion of 10 P&Bers. 

Edited by ayrmad

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Then they wheeled out Devi who instantly labelled him a spoiled toddler. She then went on to declare a couple of “I told you so” moments and that her job is to tell people things they don’t like.

I preferred the Tory.

He wasn't holding back was he.  It needs a few more to come out and make the simple point  - as Sunak did last week - that the lockdown was to protect the NHS and stop it being overwhelmed until we had vaccines.  Well we now have the vaccines, so we now need the exit plan to get back to normality, and clear messaging to go with it.

Sridhar, well, is she aiming for the next Strictly or maybe I'm a Celeb?

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What is. You just need to read on here the number of previous SNP voters who are publicly stating they will not vote for them if they haven't announced a sensible reopening plan. Why would that not be repeated countrywide ?

It's not exactly Putin's Russia we live in !

I do not think the anti SG views on this thread are typical, my opinion is based on the various opinion polls showing support for the SNP and for Sturgeon in particular.

I’ve said before that for some this thread has become an echo chamber.  A small handful battering out a string of negative comments has drawn the attraction and apparent support of a slightly larger, but still fairly small, group.

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
27 minutes ago, Left Back said:
I said nothing of the sort.  I believe there should be a routemap based on objective criteria, not dates.  Saying if x happens then y can happen would show leadership.  The current shrugging of shoulders by government(s) is not what they were elected to do.

We have had that though just yesterday. If we keep foreign travel closed we can open up domestically was the very chat last night and that went down like a lead balloon.

That wasn’t the case though. Leitch literally said last night that foreign travel would be banned in return for a little bit of domestic normality. ‘Little’ can get so far to f**k. 

I don't know when furlough will end that's just my personal outside date for those things happening, no point in me setting a target that will not or is unlikely to materialise, I prefer Conservative targets. 
I only ask because furlough ending in April and bars/restaurants not opening until July August are not exactly concomitant with each other.
A lot of businesses in that sector would have to make all their staff redundant in May and re-hire them upon re-opening, there won't be many that could afford to pay staff wages with absolutely zero coming in through the door.

2 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I only ask because furlough ending in April and bars/restaurants not opening until July August are not exactly concomitant with each other.
A lot of businesses in that sector would have to make all their staff redundant in May and re-hire them upon re-opening, there won't be many that could afford to pay staff wages with absolutely zero coming in through the door.

The furlough was extended before, at a very late stage if I recall.  It will be extended again if necessary.

8 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I personally don't see those sectors opening up then going by what Boris & Co are saying, we'll know more early March when Sunak does his stuff. 

I certainly don't see us having everyone jagged twice by the end of April. 

Edited by ayrmad

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Given the nick of this thread today, there's going to be some amount of square-goes once social distancing is out the window.  

Mon then

56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I do not think the anti SG views on this thread are typical, my opinion is based on the various opinion polls showing support for the SNP and for Sturgeon in particular.

I’ve said before that for some this thread has become an echo chamber.  A small handful battering out a string of negative comments has drawn the attraction and apparent support of a slightly larger, but still fairly small, group.

It's the usual internet thing. Those who have very strong opinions come on and shout the loudest. Vast majority seem to think they're doing a decent enough job and aren't too put out about it.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

So do I

source.gif

There's absolutely not a chance that gyms and five a-side football should be getting left behind basically every other area to reopen again this time.
I agree and I'd be astounded if they did. I've been the gym and played 5s (and got a haircut) more recently than I was having a pint in or outside a boozer. The last time before gyms were opened up, we kept hearing that they were the ideal breeding ground for Covid. The data they'll now have will show transmission to be minimal. I'll be wanting both recreational sport and gyms to be opened not long after the weans go back tbh.