Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Whats the craic with school workers and vaccines? Wife got a message tonight telling her to phone up and book herself in whenever. It's all coming through work, not GP or NHS. I thought prioritising workforces had been binned
Sounds like someone at the school has got a hold of the NHS number for the vaccine booking service and has decided to spread the word !

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Whats the craic with school workers and vaccines? Wife got a message tonight telling her to phone up and book herself in whenever. It's all coming through work, not GP or NHS. I thought prioritising workforces had been binned

Sounds like someone at the school has got a hold of the NHS number for the vaccine booking service and has decided to spread the word !

Na, loads of them were getting phone calls from NHS in the last two weeks now the rest have been told to sort their own

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

No matter what element of indoor society was reopened first it was going to cause an uptick in cases. That it's schools should be irrelevant, same thing will / would happen if it's offices, hospitality, retail etc.

Was it? Would opening barbers and gyms cause an uptick in cases? Not a 'reduced fall': an actual uptick? 

More laughable shite from yourself.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
It seems for a year now we've panndered to the elderly/vunrable/kids whist for everyone outwith those categories its "fck you, suck it up and get on with it" 

Eh?

Not sure kids having an entirely fucked up year counts as pandering to them.

Was it? Would opening barbers and gyms cause an uptick in cases? Not a 'reduced fall': an actual uptick? 
Cases will rise when society reopens. It's hardly rocket science. Barbers and Gyms in isolation is a stupid comparison as they will be part of a far wider reopening.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Cases will rise when society reopens. It's hardly rocket science.

Not if the sector reopening doesn't push the overall R rate above 1 they don't. That's certainly not 'rocket science' yet you seem too thick to grasp it regardless. 

Barbers and Gyms in isolation is a stupid comparison as they will be part of a far wider reopening.

Based on what exactly? The Magical Law of Restrictions? Religious services have just been reopened on a broader basis without any other concession for 'indoor society' - why shouldn't gyms or barbers get similar treatment?

So if we had opened gyms and not schools first, would cases be higher or lower than they are now? Would cases be rising as a result of this measure? 

Edited by vikingTON

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

We need to get this obsessing with case numbers to f**k otherwise we can lock down for ever.

All that matters is nhs capacity, cases on ITU and deaths.  Things the vaccines are sorting and will continue to do.

Someone needs to tell the melts in Holyrood this pronto.

I agree with you 100%. 

But you can pretty much guarantee that the SG and their advisors won't be taking P&B opinion into account when considering lifting restrictions. 

If case numbers percentage remain the highest in the UK, it gives Sturgeon and Leitch the reason to extend lockdown. These numbers need to start coming down. 

Got my vaccine tonight, Astra Zeneca for me.

I've spent a lot of time reading about the vaccines, case studies and mechanisms and it’s kind of weird to think that the stuff I’ve been reading about is happening right now in my own body. 

26 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Not sure kids having an entirely fucked up year counts as pandering to them.

We have literally chucked overboard the same restrictions that prevent any other group in society gathering indoors safely, to provide schooling until that wishful thinking exercise predictably failed. We've also waived just about every restriction on gatherings 'fur the weans' and just magically pretended that they won't pass it on to family members afterwards. We've also just waved through one utterly useless set of exam results as legit, and are now relying on teacher's best judgment for this year's lot, so that's exam/result stress eased as well. 

Other than toddlers not going to some piss-stained soft play centre and being in school 30 hours per week, it really has not been 'entirely fucked up' at all. That's been specially reserved for the 18 year olds up who have been subject to literally every single restriction while being chucked on the scrapheap. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

If they continue to restrict peoples lives whilst no issues in hospitals etc they will rightly get their arses kicked at the ballot box.  People have had enough now.

I did see some headlines that suggest their lead in the polls may well be slipping.  Hard to say if that is as a result of the Salmond saga or if there is growing frustration with lockdown; I think (given what I've seen more through social media and in comment sections) that it is a mix of both.  

Based on what exactly? The Magical Law of Restrictions? Religious services have just been reopened on a broader basis without any other concession for 'indoor society' - why shouldn't gyms or barbers get similar treatment?
So if we had opened gyms and not schools first, would cases be higher or lower than they are now? Would cases be rising as a result of this measure? 
No idea what your mewling about now. Are you saying reopening society WON'T lead to a rise in cases ?

Cases are going to rise as restrictions ease. Everyone needs to get this into their head, it's bound to happen but it shouldn't matter a jot once the vulnerable are vaccinated. Not really sure what you are taking issue with here. It's just so happens schools are first but it's going to happen no matter what order we reopen in.

Just now, Steven W said:

There's a reason why schools are open quicker than, say, offices.

Of course there is. But that reason flies in the face of reducing cases and lifting restrictions as quickly as possible, because that reason runs counter to public health guidance. 

The onus is therefore on the SG to either complete ditch its case rate obsession or to close down the infection factories that will stop reopening from progressing as it should for literally every other sector. It cannot have its cake and eat it. 

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Cases will rise when society reopens. It's hardly rocket science. Barbers and Gyms in isolation is a stupid comparison as they will be part of a far wider reopening.

Cases remained fairly low all summer last year whilst society reopened.

Then schools opened and within a month and a half restrictions were put in place that have now been in place in my LA for almost 6 months.

Until the SG stop putting cases at the top of the Covid metric list, schools should be subject to the same restrictions as every other indoor space, without exception.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

No idea what your mewling about now. Are you saying reopening society WON'T lead to a rise in cases ?

Cases are going to rise as restrictions ease. Everyone needs to get this into their head, it's bound to happen but it shouldn't matter a jot once the vulnerable are vaccinated. Not really sure what you are taking issue with here. It's just so happens schools are first but it's going to happen no matter what order we reopen in.

If we had a continued lockdown with no schools open but with barbers open, would cases a) continue to decline or b) rise as a result of this 'society reopening' measure? 

Unless you're a complete and utter moron who selected b), the order of reopening evidently does matter then. So long as the sectors being re-opened do not increase the R rate above 1, overall cases do not rise as a result. If sectors opened up increase the rate above 1 then cases rise.

As schools are a far more significant cause of infection than barbers, it is absolutely certain than one reopening during a lockdown would be a cause of overall case rises and the other would not. 

Edited by vikingTON

14 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I did see some headlines that suggest their lead in the polls may well be slipping.  Hard to say if that is as a result of the Salmond saga or if there is growing frustration with lockdown; I think (given what I've seen more through social media and in comment sections) that it is a mix of both.  

Fair enough, but then you look at the alternatives.

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

There's a reason why schools are open quicker than, say, offices.

Absolutely. But that reason isn't that offices will result in the same increase in cases as schools will.