Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Last night I started feeling really positive for the first time, that life would get back to normal. For a good half hour I was really optimistic that by the summer things would look and feel a bit more like normal life and society. Immediately after this started feeing really down. The thought that caused it? Variants. So much stuff on the vaccine-dodging mutant super killer variants that some scientists and public health folk seem to want that it brought down my mood a long way.

We're stuck with the zero-Covid people who will sacrifice all manner of quality of life to achieve this. We need to say clearly that we are not prepared to live half a life forever

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Last night I started feeling really positive for the first time, that life would get back to normal. For a good half hour I was really optimistic that by the summer things would look and feel a bit more like normal life and society. Immediately after this started feeing really down. The thought that caused it? Variants. So much stuff on the vaccine-dodging mutant super killer variants that some scientists and public health folk seem to want that it brought down my mood a long way.

We're stuck with the zero-Covid people who will sacrifice all manner of quality of life to achieve this. We need to say clearly that we are not prepared to live half a life forever

There’s also a load of experts out there who’re far more realistic and positive - remember a lot of the zero Covid sociopaths are choosing to paint their own worse case scenario as the most likely outcome.

They don’t care about anything other than their own egos and media profile.

17 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im very much a pro-european minded person, id love an indy scotland to either be a member of the single market/eec or EU. But with that said the behaviour of the leaders in the EU has been nothing short of scandalous. For them to ‘blame’ the UK when the UK has essentially been very open for about a year now that it’s ordered x,y,z of vaccines is a bit rich and probably more to cover up their own shortfalls. The tories have got one thing in the pandemic response right, they paid over the odds and ordered over the volume of a variety of vaccines to get first dibs, the EU dithered and tried to get things on the cheap, they should own their f**k up in the same way i believe the tories should own the economic/social consequences of brexit. Strip back the pantomime ‘this wouldnt have happened without brexit’ shite where Boris is playing to his base and you can see it for what it is. 

I agree with the points about politicians in the EU, but lets remind ourselves that Matt Hancock bought more vaccines than we required because he watched the movie Contagion, not because he's some sort of genius planner. I'm wary of heaping praise on the government when that's the justification for hoarding vaccines. 

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I agree with the points about politicians in the EU, but lets remind ourselves that Matt Hancock bought more vaccines than we required because he watched the movie Contagion, not because he's some sort of genius planner. I'm wary of heaping praise on the government when that's the justification for hoarding vaccines. 

Not sure the government is hoarding vaccines.  Not to say they potentially won't in the future but no evidence of it at the moment.  All the rhetoric has been that we'll distribute our excess vaccines (once we have some) through Covax.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure the government is hoarding vaccines.  Not to say they potentially won't in the future but no evidence of it at the moment.  All the rhetoric has been that we'll distribute our excess vaccines (once we have some) through Covax.

When you say distribute, are we donating them or are we selling them?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just means they won't look to profit, not really a donation either though.

I suspect it will be combination of the two.  I'd reckon we'll donate a load to Covax for the poorer countries and flog the rest off at cost to countries that aren't skint.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The pledge is to donate them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56117120

although it also says "distribute at cost" which would imply a charge.

Strange language. I find myself struggling with the notion of Tories doing something for the greater good but we'll see. 

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I suspect it will be combination of the two.  I'd reckon we'll donate a load to Covax for the poorer countries and flog the rest off at cost to countries that aren't skint.

Yes, that's probably fair. No danger they'll be 'donating' to the EU anyway :lol:

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, that's probably fair. No danger they'll be 'donating' to the EU anyway :lol:

I wouldn't be against flogging some to RoI seeing as we have a CTA with them.  Depending on what vaccines we have a surplus of that might break the EU's own procurement rules though.  That would be comical if it did come about.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

When you say distribute, are we donating them or are we selling them?

Auction them, it's a seller's market. We could get more than we paid and clear our debt...everybody's happy.

Except for the impoverished and the EU, but they never are.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Aye im not accusing the boy of being a strategic genius or anything, but their policy of ‘just buy lots of everything and at whatever price they ask’ has unsurprisingly worked. 

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Positive news like that could see maybe 300 of us in a football ground by October and maybe allowed to go to the pub for a few hours.  Even better you can take a flight if you earn over 250k by next Spring.   

Watch out for those perky variants though and if we end up with 5000 cases and nobody in hospital then we lockdown.  Stay safe, we don't know what's coming next...

There will be 50 people at the first Edinburgh derby next season. Those poor souls. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aye im not accusing the boy of being a strategic genius or anything, but their policy of ‘just buy lots of everything and at whatever price they ask’ has unsurprisingly worked. 

Its actually the one area, aside from maybe furlough, where the reaction has been commensurate with the issue. No holds barred, steam in and throw everything at it. 

The return to small time comes shortly thereafter when we started mewling about how vaccines are just one tool, aren't the way out of this bla bla bla

16 hours ago, Snafu said:

They are letting you out early on good behaviour?

Fortunately my performance in school helped me avoid that result quite a few times in my younger days, I'd probably be a career criminal if I had been poor at school and didn't have a very good social worker and lawyer on my side, both women and worth every penny they ever earned.