Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We are definitely not falling deeper and deeper into an authoritarian nightmare though. Definitely not at all. 

The sad part is despite the falling numbers of deaths and people in ICU, people will still accept any rule they're told because "we just dont know" and varients!!! Folk have been brainwashed and cant believe truths for believing propaganda and scaremongering 

Ever since March 2020, the authoritarian response from governments has worried me far more than the virus ever could, because I knew then what it might mean for the future.

As an aside, Anthony Costello, the duffer that Shridar subtweeted in her lie, quite literally has a disastrous track record of predictions throughout the pandemic. A bit like Devi's 'Scotland nearly eliminated Covid' claim, basically.

Sridhar said that the AZ vaccine isn’t effective against the South African variant, but she was quoting a single study that showed lack of protection against mild to moderate illness. No-one in the study became seriously ill and it wasn’t Carried out on the dosing schedule used in the vaccine rollout. It’s not a worthless study but it’s not something to make sweeping statements about vaccine effectiveness over.

For Sridhar to make a claim that this shows the vaccine doesn’t work against the South African variant is deeply irresponsible, given her official position and her media profile.

Sridhar said that the AZ vaccine isn’t effective against the South African variant, but she was quoting a single study that showed lack of protection against mild to moderate illness. No-one in the study became seriously ill and it wasn’t Carried out on the dosing schedule used in the vaccine rollout. It’s not a worthless study but it’s not something to make sweeping statements about vaccine effectiveness over.

For Sridhar to make a claim that this shows the vaccine doesn’t work against the South African variant is deeply irresponsible, given her official position and her media profile.

When the pandemic is over she won't have a media profile. She was an irrelevance before covid and she'll go back to being an irrelevance afterwards. The more shite she spouts the more desperate she seems and I genuinely think she'd be happy for this to drag out for as long as possible if it keeps her in the public eye.

Ever since March 2020, the authoritarian response from governments has worried me far more than the virus ever could, because I knew then what it might mean for the future.
As an aside, Anthony Costello, the duffer that Shridar subtweeted in her lie, quite literally has a disastrous track record of predictions throughout the pandemic. A bit like Devi's 'Scotland nearly eliminated Covid' claim, basically.
Last year this thread was very pro-china on terms of how they handled things, and you don't get more authoritarian than that.

The tide has turned though, and folk on here seem to have moved into full blown libertarian mode.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Hahaha inject the rent free seethe 😂🤣😭 she is a wid haha 😂🤣😭

18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When the pandemic is over she won't have a media profile. She was an irrelevance before covid and she'll go back to being an irrelevance afterwards. The more shite she spouts the more desperate she seems and I genuinely think she'd be happy for this to drag out for as long as possible if it keeps her in the public eye.

Her and Leitch will be irrelevant when this is over and they know it. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The biggest criticism I have is the risk it poses to the vaccine rollout and it plays into the hands of the anti-vax brigade. For an advisor to the Scottish government, that's a massive, massive mistake. To then double down on it and play the victim when she was called out, respectfully, by another who was far more qualified to discuss the data from that survey was pretty poor.

Of course we don't know how much NS actually listens to her, but surely after this there will need to be some distancing from her.

Edited by super_carson

2 hours ago, s_dog said:

France claims UK will struggle to source second Covid jabs

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/26/france-uk-struggle-source-second-covid-jabs-eu-blackmail?

I haven't paid too much attention to the UK v EU vaccination squabbles, and while the UK Gov have continually said they are confident about having enough supplies, what happens if we don't? It was always the case we'd rely more on the Oxford/AZ vaccine as the roll-out progresses, but are we really at the stage where the EU are going to block supplies to the UK and lead to a potential problem with people getting their second jag?  

The EU don’t hold all the cards.  They need material from us to manufacture Pfizer.  I’d hope we’d have been pointing that out diplomatically for the last few days.

If they decide to go full hardball I’d happily f**k them over for their Pfizer production.

44 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Last year this thread was very pro-china on terms of how they handled things, and you don't get more authoritarian than that.

The tide has turned though, and folk on here seem to have moved into full blown libertarian mode.

I can only remember the media and reaction here being one of shock at what was happening in Wuhan, particularly your sanctimonious rags like The Guardian - about how it was an affront to human rights and democracy.

Now of course, these same rags are all for these very same measures as the sanctimony stakes have moved from human rights and democracy to making sure it looks like you care about death and illness prevention more than anyone or anything else.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I just read that the study Sridhar used has 42 participants.

Was it also in people with HIV?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Devi Sridhar having a heads gone is a delicious development.

Totally this.  Head is absolutely gone.  I survived a blocking a few months back for asking her if her account had been hacked when she posted something that seemed reasonable. Suspect it would be an instant blocking now.