Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem with this is two-fold.

Firstly, how many would be willing to book a holiday knowing they were at the mercy of a test as to whether they had wasted their money or not.

And secondly, what insurance company is going to underwrite policies that will cover either the travel agent or individual in the event they test positive, and at what premium?

If tests are required on top of vaccines to go on holiday (and the threat of quarantine status changing at any time), the market will take an absolute pounding and the industry will collapse.

In that scenario, do the UK Gov / SG continue to shovel money into keeping travel companies viable, or do they write off the jobs?

I've just paid £350 for 2 weeks insurance for USA that covers the below and my cancer...

• Cancelling your trip if you have COVID-19 within 14 days of travelling
  • Emergency medical expenses abroad
  • Repatriation to help you get back home
  • Cancellation and repatriation cover if you’re denied boarding with a positive test for COVID-19
  • Additional accommodation and transport if deemed necessary by our medical officer
  • Daily benefit if you are ordered to self-isolate in your holiday accommodation if you have COVID-19
  • Cancelling or cutting your trip short after death in the family from COVID-19
  • Your travelling companion(s), people you live with, or people you’re staying with on holiday being diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of travel

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

I've just paid £350 for 2 weeks insurance for USA that covers the below and my cancer...

• Cancelling your trip if you have COVID-19 within 14 days of travelling
  • Emergency medical expenses abroad
  • Repatriation to help you get back home
  • Cancellation and repatriation cover if you’re denied boarding with a positive test for COVID-19
  • Additional accommodation and transport if deemed necessary by our medical officer
  • Daily benefit if you are ordered to self-isolate in your holiday accommodation if you have COVID-19
  • Cancelling or cutting your trip short after death in the family from COVID-19
  • Your travelling companion(s), people you live with, or people you’re staying with on holiday being diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of travel

Obviously hard to say what it would be if it was just the Covid parts included, but £350 for two weeks is a fairly significant extra cost to add to a holiday. 

Pure freak

I don’t believe anyone who says that from now on they’re going to cancel everything and stay in the house every time they feel a bit unwell, I’m not talking about covid, I’m talking about all the daft wee bugs that you can have that don’t make you so unwell that you end up in your bed , granted one of them could be a mild dose of covid that you can’t tell apart from a cold but in a world where everyone is vaccinated and we’re at herd immunity , who cares?

Who would honestly cancel something important for a wee bit of sniffles?

Obviously hard to say what it would be if it was just the Covid parts included, but £350 for two weeks is a fairly significant extra cost to add to a holiday. 
My wife was quoted £1200 for a holiday in October as at that point she was still pre-op with breast cancer.

PS Good news - second operation got all the tumour - (they completely missed it first op and left the clip inside her) - only has radiotherapy to get now and will be on tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I did a check on the travel insurance - now £50.

55 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How much do these things actually cost and how much money is someone making out of them?  The idea of being forced to line someone’s pockets would wind me up.

Ive seen takes saying it’ll be pcr tests and others saying lateral flows are the preferred option. Think we might need to wait a couple weeks more for clarity. 
I think you’ll see pcr tests going for £40-60 by the time travel starts back, lots of companies lowering prices and I guess with volume comes lower prices. If its lateral flow testing I think you’ll see the airports etc offering them for free to get punters back. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem with this is two-fold.

Firstly, how many would be willing to book a holiday knowing they were at the mercy of a test as to whether they had wasted their money or not.

And secondly, what insurance company is going to underwrite policies that will cover either the travel agent or individual in the event they test positive, and at what premium?

If tests are required on top of vaccines to go on holiday (and the threat of quarantine status changing at any time), the market will take an absolute pounding and the industry will collapse.

In that scenario, do the UK Gov / SG continue to shovel money into keeping travel companies viable, or do they write off the jobs?

It's not ideal but if they can keep ticking over until things stabilise uniformly across Europe etc, then the requirements for tests will be done away with. I cannot see industry standing for it beyond this year.

5 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hoping first dose vaccinations will ramp up again next week. We’re ten weeks on now from that week in February where they were firing out 50-60k a day which is presumably why we’re doing almost exclusively second doses just now. If I remember rightly that fell off to about 20-30k about a week or so later. Assume the pattern will follow?

They have done 50k second doses for the last 2 days so we are probably at peak second dose time just now.

14 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's not ideal but if they can keep ticking over until things stabilise uniformly across Europe etc, then the requirements for tests will be done away with. I cannot see industry standing for it beyond this year.

Me neither, but I get the impression the travel industry absorbed the impact of last year on the basis of government subsidies and the hope of a significant bounceback this year.

Can they absorb another year of just about keeping afloat?

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats virgin atlantic pulled out of Glasgow due to the uncertainty from the Scottish Government. Ah well. 

Do you have a source for this? I have Orlando flights rolled over from last year and was hoping that they’d still be on. 

Can’t see any news, but it does look like the June and July departures have been removed. 

7 minutes ago, Munter said:

Do you have a source for this? I have Orlando flights rolled over from last year and was hoping that they’d still be on. 

Can’t see any news, but it does look like the June and July departures have been removed. 

Think it's for this summer/this year.

Relatively positive that for all the bluster and nonsense coming from the experts, once we get to a certain point with the vaccines and the data then we’ll be far closer to normal than is being made out at present - “but variants” won’t work anymore, given the dramatics (and subsequent climb down) over every variant so far.

Noticed earlier that Devi “liked” a tweet criticising the loosening on restrictions on Monday - a positive sign that her pish isn’t being taken as gospel by the decision makers.

7 hours ago, Munter said:

Yes mate, i heard a rumour then went on virgin atlantics twitter and they confirmed it.