Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, and it undermines the credibility of people who really do need one.

Do you think it had any credibility in the first place?  You could buy the previous lanyards on the Internet for a couple of quid.  All manner of people that didn't actually need one were getting them via either legit or non-legit means.  The whole system has been a farce from the outset regardless of whether you believe masks actually provide any benefit.

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Is it not better to know their long term vision for masks rather than periodically being told to keep wearing them?

After the winter hopefully they strike it from the legislation but the last round of surveying by the unions showed that staff wanted them kept for the time being and as it's them who are really bearing the brunt of the the inconvenience/ it being uncomfortable.

As for WFH that's good to see as opposed to the Tories who are talking about docking pay of folk who work from home.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do you think it had any credibility in the first place?  You could buy the previous lanyards on the Internet for a couple of quid.  All manner of people that didn't actually need one were getting them via either legit or non-legit means.  The whole system has been a farce from the outset regardless of whether you believe masks actually provide any benefit.

The lanyards were around before Covid and were a really good idea they have been trashed by morons. 

Yeah, the abuse of the lanyards is one of those reasons why we can't have nice things. Pisstakers latch on and suddenly they start becoming a bit pointless. Thankfully I am no longer legally compelled to wear a mask in public, so I don't. I begrudgingly put up with it when there was nothing else, but their time is now up.

The mask debate needs to be shifted. If people in some positions want to keep masks, their employer should be issuing them with proper masks that protect the wearer properly rather than requiring everyone to wear a mask. 

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

The lanyards were around before Covid and were a really good idea they have been trashed by morons. 

In principle I agree with you but It's been trashed by the fact that literally anyone can get one regardless of health status.  If you're going to have an exemption system it has to be policed, which it isn't.  I get that there are reasons why it would be difficult to police but having no checks at all leads to this farce.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

In principle I agree with you but It's been trashed by the fact that literally anyone can get one regardless of health status.  If you're going to have an exemption system it has to be policed, which it isn't.  I get that there are reasons why it would be difficult to police but having no checks at all leads to this farce.

As far as Im aware the sunflower lanyard was introduced so that people knew you might need more time and patience or some assistance meaning people with say early dementia could retain their independence. 

If you have asthma you don't need extra help in a shop and if wearing a thin piece of material made you have an attack is it that great an idea to be wandering about in a pandemic. Obviously pre Vax.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, and it undermines the credibility of people who really do need one.

Which has been, err, nobody all along. 

'Ah canny breathe in them because o ma asthma!!!' can also be filed in the Calling Cards of Morons (Pandemic Special) alongside the grassing and the 'clap for carers'.

I see Swinney is dropping a heavy hint in The Grauniad that mask wearing in shops/public transport will be retained throughout the winter.

He also predicted "many people" would adopt the east Asian practice of routinely wearing them outdoors - sheesh!

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Typical Guardian scaremongering with very little actual evidence.

Procurement is always going to be in private hands. Can you imagine the NHS having manufacturing facilities for PPE, drugs, equipment, construction of hospitals? It’s ludicrous!!

Regarding GP’s, they are private contractors at the moment and are self employed for tax purposes.

Actually, I have no problem with companies forming groups of GP’s as we might get a better service.

The point is - who pays? If it is free at the point of delivery then it’s NOT a privatised health service.

Personally, I wish it was part privatised but it isn’t.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

He also predicted "many people" would adopt the east Asian practice of routinely wearing them outdoors - sheesh!

If he thinks many people will follow this guidance by choice then it makes very little sense to mandate them. 

4 minutes ago, btb said:

I see Swinney is dropping a heavy hint in The Grauniad that mask wearing in shops/public transport will be retained throughout the winter.

Having been angrily e-mailing my MSP about this garbage for months, he also continued to push this mantra about Asian culture wearing masks and how we should consider moving towards it. Definitely been something that's been put out for them to push (despite the fact most of the mask wearers in bigger Asian cities are doing it for the reeking pollution rather than "caring" and not wanting to pass anything on).

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

The trouble with systems like 'mask exempt' status is that in order to make them hard to misuse, you'd have to make the application and evidence process more rigorous. That would generate objections from folk who wouldn't accept being made to 'jump through hoops' (perhaps a poor analogy 🤔!) to receive adisability exemption - something to which they are entitled.  

@rseholes abuse the Blue Badge system, where the entitlement cards are large and made of plastic, so not that easy to fake, and even though there is a photo of the qualified person, it is on the side that faces down on the dashboard, so some rats use them when the qualifying person is in no way involved in the trip.  Some folk then criticise the scheme as being too open to abuse, instead of hammering the b@stards who abuse it (not suggesting I've seen that on this forum tbf).

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Typical Guardian scaremongering with very little actual evidence.

Procurement is always going to be in private hands. Can you imagine the NHS having manufacturing facilities for PPE, drugs, equipment, construction of hospitals? It’s ludicrous!!

Regarding GP’s, they are private contractors at the moment and are self employed for tax purposes.

Actually, I have no problem with companies forming groups of GP’s as we might get a better service.

The point is - who pays? If it is free at the point of delivery then it’s NOT a privatised health service.

Personally, I wish it was part privatised but it isn’t.

All organisations have to buy products/components which is a far stretch from privatising/outsourcing services that organisation actually exists to supply.  Construction is really reaching.

There are parts that are privatised.  I think it was Panorama ran a programme on it a while back.  When I was in London a couple of months ago at a hospital I could see all the patient transport services in that particular NHS trust had been outsourced to companies running private "ambulances" as one example.

Layers are being peeled away and outsourced.  It isn't as bad as the scaremongering is made out but it is happening slowly.

I don't agree with outsourcing, not just in the public sector but in general.  I think it's lazy management.  Effective management allows you to run an effective service.  if you outsource the outsourcing company wants to make a profit which means either service suffers or costs go up.

49 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Folk do realise that literally everything DPB posts is for attention and can almost always be filed in a things that never happened bin, right? 

Wrong again.

As mentioned earlier I only produce the digital exemption certificate when confronted.

Also, if you look at the reasons for getting one, just about anyone could reasonably justify having one.

Went into the bank and Morrison’s today and neither myself or wife was challenged. Therefore no need to be used.