Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Scottish Government now facing criticism from opposition ministers as we lag behind 'everyone else' on producing a digital vaccine status app.

App due to be released next month.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/2445577/scottish-government-accused-of-lagging-behind-on-digital-vaccine-passports/

So is it true that this app and the other apps available are intrusive and can provide an opportunity for tech companies to sell your personal data on, as we all know personal data is big business and worth billions worldwide?

The real problem is that the UK Gov refused to be part of the EU app and system when invited. This would have made complete sense and made travelling and all other aspects of normal life much simpler, uniformed and consistent across the board, but as part of this Queen and country Brexit nonsense we of course declined said invitation.

A combination of Brexit and Covid has basically moved us back about 70 years.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The real problem is that the UK Gov refused to be part of the EU app and system when invited. This would have made complete sense and made travelling and all other aspects of normal life much simpler, uniformed and consistent across the board, but as part of this Queen and country Brexit nonsense we of course declined said invitation.

They didn't want the EU spying on our citizens data. That's the job of the UK government. 😁

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think the point being made is despite what you just posted being 100% true there is going to be a fair few things in life which (for better or worse) have changed for good, a "legacy" will exist long after folk have forgotten about C19.

Even a tiny thing yesterday. Went for a haircut on the basis that walk-ins would be the norm again...WRONG. used same barber for 20+ years and he advised yesterday that they have now permanently altered their business model to appointment only as it had proved a better way to work for him (and according to him) his customers. Had to go back in an hour as that was his 1st appointment. Minuscule in the grand scheme of things but a lasting consequence none the less.

Things also changed before Covid, believe it or not. I'm still raging that Knorr stopped making Micro Noodles a few years back. #DystopianNewNormal

40 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Aye ok.

You still think Covid will be a major part of our lives this time next year? Because I can assure you it won't. Well, certainly not in places like Europe and America. Places like South America and Africa will also reach their endemic equilibrium.

As for East Asia, Australia and New Zealand... that could take a while longer...

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Every one of the the people complaining about this allows themselves to be tracked 24/7 by having a mobile phone with them at all times.

Apparently, although not confirmed, some restaurants in France are not accepting the SG paper version.

If so, this puts the pressure on.

59 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Thank goodness we didn’t join their vaccine system.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think the point being made is despite what you just posted being 100% true there is going to be a fair few things in life which (for better or worse) have changed for good, a "legacy" will exist long after folk have forgotten about C19.

Even a tiny thing yesterday. Went for a haircut on the basis that walk-ins would be the norm again...WRONG. used same barber for 20+ years and he advised yesterday that they have now permanently altered their business model to appointment only as it had proved a better way to work for him (and according to him) his customers. Had to go back in an hour as that was his 1st appointment. Minuscule in the grand scheme of things but a lasting consequence none the less.

If it's a busy place you can see how an appointment system would work better for the owner and the customers though

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Apparently, although not confirmed, some restaurants in France are not accepting the SG paper version.

The staff at our hotel in France confirmed this to me this week as everything needs to be electronic for the Pass sanitaire to work.

I quite like being able go book my haircut instead of the walking in and having to wait 20-30 minutes.

I also like getting table service - it's much more civilised and continental - genuinely hate the rammy at the bar and waiting whilst umpteen others who came after you get served instead.

Also like that lots of pubs have been really creative in getting outdoor spaces - definitely hope they keep them.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I quite like being able go book my haircut instead of the walking in and having to wait 20-30 minutes.

I also like getting table service - it's much more civilised and continental - genuinely hate the rammy at the bar and waiting whilst umpteen others who came after you get served instead.

Also like that lots of pubs have been really creative in getting outdoor spaces - definitely hope they keep them.

I quite like the table service when I'm out with my wife.  When I'm with my mates though we very rarely sit down in the pub.  the "old" experience is better in that situation.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

This is a good thing so I agree with the barber. Mine works this way now as well and it's much better knowing in advance when you can walk in and not have to wait in a queue. 

I quite like the table service when I'm out with my wife.  When I'm with my mates though we very rarely sit down in the pub.  the "old" experience is better in that situation.
I get that - I'm sure that some places that are not traditional drinking pubs will likely keep it whilst others will revert back.

I know it's the Express but it is also Simon Calder and Paul Charles who are usually good about these things.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1475417/Travel-holidays-traffic-light-rules-scrapped-quarantine-testing-september-october

“I think we might see the traffic light system effectively being scrapped particularly with thankfully vaccination rates in the UK now being so high,” Simon explained.

"It will just be assumed that everyone is vaccinated and therefore wherever you are going, perhaps with a relatively small list of places, you won't need to quarantine.”

He continued: “I just think for the UK the game is up."

“We have had such incredibly laboured explanations as to why places have been moved from one category to another which don't quite seem to tally with reality."

“I think everyone is just exhausted and if they can just say basically go where you like but you are going to be tested and you have got to be fully jabbed I think that would be [it].”

While co-host Paul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, said he “agreed” change is set to come, he believes “October 1” will be the key date.

“I think it could come on October 1, which is the next milestone date in the review of the travel Task Force,” he said.

“They always need to announce something at these big reviews.”

“Some have been arguing, including myself, that we should follow the US system outbound, which is essentially that you let your fully jabbed citizens go wherever they are allowed to go, and then just take a pre-departure test when they come back to the US and not have to quarantine,” he said.

“If it works for the US it should work here."

“[We have the] same vaccines. Maybe not AstraZeneca but certainly Pfizer and Moderna."

“The US is getting on with it. They have found this happy medium between the health priorities and the economic needs that all the airlines and travel industry need.”

I cannot bloody stand Simon Calder. At the height of the lockdown (1 and 2) he was on the radio regularly demanding that air travel be "opened up". I get he's a de facto spokesman for the travel industry and at times he has been really good (highlighting the oddities of the traffic lights system, for instance), but to say that at that time was just nuts. 

38 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Agree. Would always book to get my mop chopped, and European cafe culture/alfresco drinking and dining is a definite thumbs up, weather permitting. Things like table service through apps was becoming a thing before Covid as well. There will probably be the 'best of both worlds' moving forward.

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I know it's the Express but it is also Simon Calder and Paul Charles who are usually good about these things.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1475417/Travel-holidays-traffic-light-rules-scrapped-quarantine-testing-september-october

“I think we might see the traffic light system effectively being scrapped particularly with thankfully vaccination rates in the UK now being so high,” Simon explained.

"It will just be assumed that everyone is vaccinated and therefore wherever you are going, perhaps with a relatively small list of places, you won't need to quarantine.”

He continued: “I just think for the UK the game is up."

“We have had such incredibly laboured explanations as to why places have been moved from one category to another which don't quite seem to tally with reality."

“I think everyone is just exhausted and if they can just say basically go where you like but you are going to be tested and you have got to be fully jabbed I think that would be [it].”

While co-host Paul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, said he “agreed” change is set to come, he believes “October 1” will be the key date.

“I think it could come on October 1, which is the next milestone date in the review of the travel Task Force,” he said.

“They always need to announce something at these big reviews.”

“Some have been arguing, including myself, that we should follow the US system outbound, which is essentially that you let your fully jabbed citizens go wherever they are allowed to go, and then just take a pre-departure test when they come back to the US and not have to quarantine,” he said.

“If it works for the US it should work here."

“[We have the] same vaccines. Maybe not AstraZeneca but certainly Pfizer and Moderna."

“The US is getting on with it. They have found this happy medium between the health priorities and the economic needs that all the airlines and travel industry need.”

Here's hoping there is indeed positive change, but any testing, especially prior to your return to the UK if vaccinated, is a continued big no no.

Just now, Snafu said:

Oh ffs , another who thinks he's a politician???

How can you assure anyone of anything when you have no power or control nor know for certain what is going to happen next year?

Oh wait! Twitter says.......

Probably because the pandemic will be over fairly soon, m8.

Probably because the pandemic will be over fairly soon, m8.
BBC News - Shetland's Up Helly Aa fire festival called off for 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-58198360

Also bear in mind it's been declared over on here umpteen times as far back as last summer. Not one of those bold predictions have been right so far. It will be over when it's over, don't think anyone predicting when is doing so with anything concrete to back it up, all just optimistic / pessimistic guess work. It might take 8 months or it might be years no one can predict what's going to happen with any certainty.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It's not as bad as being made out by our media / Gov.

Yes, it did get off to a very slow start, there was indeed lots of political infighting and they were lagging well behind us, however they have now caught up and in fact are vaccinating over 12's as well.

Using Catalonia as an example, 85% of the entire population has now received their vaccinations with over 70% fully vaccinated so not the complete disaster many would have you believe.

28 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Agree. Would always book to get my mop chopped, and European cafe culture/alfresco drinking and dining is a definite thumbs up, weather permitting. Things like table service through apps was becoming a thing before Covid as well. There will probably be the 'best of both worlds' moving forward.

Here's hoping there is indeed positive change, but any testing, especially prior to your return to the UK if vaccinated, is a continued big no no.

Both of those punters are still wanting / expecting pre departure testing which for most will make foreign travel completely unfeasible due to the cost / risk involved if having to Quarantine.

As for the compulsory digital culture, there's got to be a serious push back on this as we're basically excluding a large part of society including the elderly / those who aren't tech savvy.

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - Shetland's Up Helly Aa fire festival called off for 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-58198360

Also bear in mind it's been declared over on here umpteen times as far back as last summer. Not one of those bold predictions have been right so far. It will be over when it's over, don't think anyone predicting when is doing so with anything concrete to back it up, all just optimistic / pessimistic guess work. It might take 8 months or it might be years no one can predict what's going to happen with any certainty.

Living up there it's fascinating to see how much work it takes to build the boat and organise the event, I would have been amazed if they had been in a position to hold it in January. As they basically start as soon as the hangover passes from the previous years event.