Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, davidkennedyshand said:

This is JUST a warning not to ease restrictions too quickly while cases are still relatively high. Chile have currently vaccinated a similar percentage to the UK  but they've only done that in the last fortnight, they only started in Feb, and at the same time, the level of infections in Chile were fairly constant at just under 200 cases per million and they started to rise at the end of Feb and have continued to do so (now at over 300 per million).

Whereas in the UK, we started vaccinations when our cases were on a downward trend and the vaccinations have only helped that downward trend, and although they are levelling off now, they are at a far lower level, roughly 70-90 per million. A lot lower than in Chile, and all our figures point to more similarities with Israel (though they've obviously vaccinated a far higher number).

I agree with the points about politicians in the EU, but lets remind ourselves that Matt Hancock bought more vaccines than we required because he watched the movie Contagion, not because he's some sort of genius planner. I'm wary of heaping praise on the government when that's the justification for hoarding vaccines. 

The Tories are a bunch of charlatans by and large. That said, whatever the reasons behind it be that planning, luck, hoarding or a combination thereof the U.K. vaccination programmes have been a huge success. The EU have made a total arse of the whole thing. Politicising a vaccine to the huge detriment of the rollout process in a public health emergency is unforgivable IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Tried to find data on hospital & ICU capacity in Chile but struggling. Essentially if it’s just rising case numbers, with little impact on hospital and ICU data then it’s actually great news. If it is impacting on them negatively then it’s pretty disastrous.

Chile's infection levels were already sky high, prior to their vaccinations being rapidly rolled out in such a short space of time. Furthermore, what are their prior and current mitigation measures? This is more garbage communication, and even borderline disinformation for failing to acknowledge this - all in an attempt to continue the political point-scoring with London about what is being done at the border to protect against those big, scary, foreign, mutant-variant invaders.

Gutter politics. I'm sure she'll turn a blind eye to the tens of thousands due to fly into Glasgow in November for COP26.

Tried to find data on hospital & ICU capacity in Chile but struggling. Essentially if it’s just rising case numbers, with little impact on hospital and ICU data then it’s actually great news. If it is impacting on them negatively then it’s pretty disastrous.

Reading on Twitter, apparently they started vaccinating in the middle of a wave so the effects won’t be seen yet.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Stay local for 3 weeks after stay at home lifted on Friday. Ban on travel outwith your LA area remains in place until 23 April !

Was that always the plan per the roadmap ?

Yes but people chose to overlook it to white knight for all the FREEDOM the SG was generously granting to the proles. 

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Stay local for 3 weeks after stay at home lifted on Friday. Ban on travel outwith your LA area remains in place until 23 April !

I'm pretty sure Hotels weren't due to open until April 26th anyway, so basically nothing much has changed.

We've got a golf outing booked for Aviemore area for early May, so there's obviously no way that will be going ahead unless our Hotels have all reopened as planned.

Here is the latest antibody rates for Scotland from the ONS survey 

F51FA48B-1A9D-42C3-801B-189AD5001D29.thumb.jpeg.c56552fbda1add680e9a3be1d212cee9.jpeg
Bauld on BBC saying the ONS figs show 25% of all over 70s in Scotland are showing no antibody protection. Is that what this is saying as I thought it was showing the average % of antibodies as a whole in each age group as opposed to the % of that age group showing any antibody presence ?

I'm pretty sure Hotels weren't due to open until April 26th anyway, so basically nothing much has changed.
We've got a golf outing booked for Aviemore area for early May, so there's obviously no way that will be going ahead unless our Hotels have all reopened as planned.
Not sure I need hotels open to be able to enjoy a trip out of South Ayrshire. A day trip would suffice but alas no for another 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

So averaging just 75% with antibodies in the over 70s. That surely can't be right if uptake for vaccination was 90%+ and efficacy is as good as we are being told. One in 4 unprotected (if that is what this is showing) is a concern.

Was about to post when Bauld made exactly this point on BBC. She is confirming that in effect the ONS survey is showing approx 25% of over 70s in Scotland appear not to have protection. All of those have had at least 1 dose so surely more should be showing some antibody level.

The ONS had a note on the report saying that there could be a potential data issue with the figures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  It does seem incongrous, all over 70s in both England and Scotland should have been vaccinated.

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Check out https://ourworldindata.org/ you can see from there that their cases were fairly flat but at a reasonably high level when they started vaccinating at the start of Feb. So at the same time the numbers of deaths hasn't come down either, and just in the past few days they've jumped. It's a totally different situation to here in the UK. We started vaccinating on a downward trend, and the vaccines have only helped that downward trend. Unless we had a sudden massive spike in cases, it's a slight warning of what can go wrong, but not something we should have to worry about, as our levels of infections are far lower.

Our cases have levelled off, and we may even see a rise, but unless something goes badly wrong, we shouldn't see it turn into a massive spike that'd see hospital numbers also go up, and that's what really matters now.

Chile v UK cases comparison

chile.jpg

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Not sure I need hotels open to be able to enjoy a trip out of South Ayrshire. A day trip would suffice but alas no for another 3 weeks.

Until hospitality has reopened I don't really see the point in going anywhere.

Maybe i'm just being selfish but can't see much fun in just driving aimlessly when everything is still closed.

The ONS had a note on the report saying that there could be a potential data issue with the figures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  It does seem incongrous, all over 70s in both England and Scotland should have been vaccinated.
Cheers. I deleted that post as I didn't think I had worded it well but Bauld seems to have confirmed the interpretation hence my second post. She failed to mention any caveat for Scotland unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

She ought to make her own sunshine.

She'll be even more upset about this:

Still, her and her ilk have already put it out there that it's actually evolving to become more lethal!!!11

For the avoidance of doubt, because I can't see it explicitly on the gov.scot website, can you go and visit people indoors again under the 'Stay Local' guidance?

Can you not travel up to 5 miles from your boundary line into another area as well?

I don’t know why they just didn’t make it 5 mile radius again. Living in Barrhead, Paisley is more local than Eaglesham but the latter is my authority area.