Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, WATTOO said:

We haven't "added" the sub plot, it already exists and that's exactly the problem.

In a nutshell we shouldn't have an NHS charity in my opinion as the health service should be adequately funded in the first place and its staff should be adequately paid and looked after for the difficult jobs that they have to carry out and that goes from the Porters to the Cleaning staff to the Nurses etc , etc.

To be clear, Yes, It's a great gesture that the old fella has made and it's also wonderful that so much money has been raised, but as I say, we REALLY shouldn't need our health service and it's workers to be relying, or even supported, by charitable donations.

Old guy raised 12m for NHS - good C**T .  End of story.  

My step-son works in a care home. As a severe asthmatic he's on the list for self isolation but his manager told him to come into work or he wouldn't get paid. Management told carers to take off face masks as they were frightening the residents. PPE is kept in a locked stationary cupboard and only issued in extremis - like at the weekend when two elderly women were found wandering the Covid Wards of a nearby hospital. Management said they "must have wandered off" but what actually happened was they were driven by the manager and an assistant (clad head to toe in PPE) to the hospital and dumped at the door, where they were told to "Go and find a nurse".

Every morning this manager phones my stepson and tells him to come to work or he won't get paid. His Union rep says to tell them to f**k off as it's managers working off their own bat, against official guidelines and it's happening all over Glasgow. 

I think the main government failing with regards to care homes was underfunding the sector to the extent that the good managers left for the private sector, leaving some absolute muppets to run the Council homes. 

Is this care home in Greenock by any chance? I know of a care home their refusing to use the ppe and trying to pressure doctors to not write covid on death certs because they want to get more people in.

45 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'll give a wee shout out to my GP who is just off the phone checking up on me! I am half way through my childhood vaccinations after my transplant and he stressed how important it was to still have them. I'm due the next lot on Monday so he has arranged for me to go in first thing before anyone is about so I don't meet anyone. 

District nurse coming to the house to do bloods tomorrow so I don't have to go to the blood clinic. 

Infusion medication I get changed to tablet form. 

NHS Highland still treating me really well. I know how lucky I am. 

Me too, had a call from the local surgery checking up on me yesterday and a call from the MacMillan nurses this morning confirming my chemo is still going ahead tomorrow, half way through! Bloods taken in very quiet area of RNI 5 minutes walk away. And a huge box of free food arrived yesterday, first of Scottish Government's weekly supply.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Every country in the world was told that they weren't prepared yet ignored it

Big on opinion short on detail. You need to be buying stocks of protective equipment long before a pandemic emerges, because when it does everyone tries to buy it at the same time. 

and in the case of the UK underfunded and ran down the nhs while funding their rich pals with tax breaks.

You cannot understand what I said so are going for repeating emotive but irrelevant arguments. 

No way to win against the angry and uninformed. 

In late February, Hokkaido became the first place in Japan to declare a state of emergency due to Covid-19. But now, just 26 days after the state of emergency was lifted, a new one has had to be imposed.

Wonder how Spain will be a month from now. 

People keep asking for an exit strategy 🤷‍♂️

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52305055

You cannot understand what I said so are going for repeating emotive but irrelevant arguments. 

Or you create an industry who can make and ramp up production when required.
We can hardly make anything, I work in manufacturing and pretty much everything is imported. No country will admit to being told they were warned and those meetings were actually classified to cover up blame.

5 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Big on opinion short on detail. You need to be buying stocks of protective equipment long before a pandemic emerges, because when it does everyone tries to buy it at the same time. 

Sharpening our pitch forks as you type.

I quite like the Charity sector running parts of the Health Service, a bit removed from Government bureaucracy and with a degree of independence. I doubt the Macmillan nurses would be so effective if they were just another NHS branch, and I like the idea of Hospices not being driven by the latest Government efficiency drives.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

The news is covering it because folk need to feel a bit of positivity in amongst the gloom. A lot of folk still get the vast majority of their news from the traditional methods. Now that's not a healthy state of affairs in terms of media ownership in this country but to suggest it's a big plot to distract is just ludicrous. It's a positive human interest story at a time of crisis.

The Sun are in overdrive boosting stuff like this while they lead campaigns to give frontline NHS staff medals. That they spent a good part of the austerity years leading smear campaigns against that same staff for having the gall to demand better working conditions and pay while the ghouls in parliament were cheering when they voted down those same demands is just a coincidence, I'm sure.

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Or you create an industry who can make and ramp up production when required.
We can hardly make anything, I work in manufacturing and pretty much everything is imported. No country will admit to being told they were warned and those meetings were actually classified to cover up blame.

The Germans rely largely on the same global supply chains as everyone else.

I’ve seen a few people quoting the posts about voting against giving nurses a pay rise, Full Fact have covered this - https://fullfact.org/health/queens-speech-public-sector-pay/

There have been loads of stuff like this in recent years, people posting Facebook memes about MPs voting to kill all the puppies and when you look into it it’s actually voting against technical amendments packaged up with other commitments.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve seen a few people quoting the posts about voting against giving nurses a pay rise, Full Fact have covered this - https://fullfact.org/health/queens-speech-public-sector-pay/

There have been loads of stuff like this in recent years, people posting Facebook memes about MPs voting to kill all the puppies and when you look into it it’s actually voting against technical amendments packaged up with other commitments.

^^^ICTChrisChope MP

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Me too, had a call from the local surgery checking up on me yesterday and a call from the MacMillan nurses this morning confirming my chemo is still going ahead tomorrow, half way through! Bloods taken in very quiet area of RNI 5 minutes walk away. And a huge box of free food arrived yesterday, first of Scottish Government's weekly supply.

Did you get a fry pack?

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Did you get a fry pack?

Nah, only meat was a tin of corned beef. Apples, pears and a box of Shreddies though!

P.S. And one bog roll. And loads of other stuff, it weighed a ton.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I quite like the Charity sector running parts of the Health Service, a bit removed from Government bureaucracy and with a degree of independence. I doubt the Macmillan nurses would be so effective if they were just another NHS branch, and I like the idea of Hospices not being driven by the latest Government efficiency drives.

Aye, there would be quite a big through put if the government were in charge...