Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I'm a buckled lefty myself but general competence seems to be the big factor here, which isn't a purely left or right thing. It would be hard to argue that the CDU are the worst party at running a country in Europe, albeit they always have coalition partners as well.

The handling of Coronavirus hasn't offered up many surprises to me. The countries you'd expect to cope well largely have and basket cases like Italy, America and Britain have had shockers.

At least the Italian PM was smart enough to punt Salvini last year. I dread to think what nick they would be in if he was still Interior Minister during this.

They keep saying they follow the science but I wonder if they really did in the beginning? I genuinely don’t think the herd immunity bull came from the scientific advisers so I wonder if the Tories thought they could do their own thing and realised it was going badly wrong? It seems a bit better managed now than it did before. 

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Utterly ludicrous that 15000 people a day are still flying into the UK with no checks whatsoever and no quarantine like other countries are doing.

^ This

Do the police stop and ask them where they are going or where they have been?

Were their journeys absolutely essential?

Somebody really needs to have a long meaningful look at this unacceptable situation.

They keep saying they follow the science but I wonder if they really did in the beginning? I genuinely don’t think the herd immunity bull came from the scientific advisers so I wonder if the Tories thought they could do their own thing and realised it was going badly wrong? It seems a bit better managed now than it did before. 

Herd immunity is still an essential part of the recovery. It was never a policy in and of itself.

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Utterly ludicrous that 15000 people a day are still flying into the UK with no checks whatsoever and no quarantine like other countries are doing.

That is genuinely scary.  Police enforcing social distancing rules and this is happening.  I reckon you have a far greater chance of catching a virus in an air-recirculated aircraft flight than just about anywhere else.  

I am totally astounded by the 15,000 per day figure.

ETA I’d like to see Sturgeon asked about the situation in Scotland.

Edited by Granny Danger

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Herd immunity is still an essential part of the recovery. It was never a policy in and of itself.

It is, and will be very important, but it can only exist later on - not with a population where there wasn’t immunity already and no vaccine to help bring controlled responses in people.

Also just to say Laura K is an idiot - “Will there be another three weeks”? He’s literally just said that. It’s also pointless asking what’s happening in x weeks - they are responding to the figures so we will be different.

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I just encountered a group of 5 baseball hat wearing junkie neds stoating down renfield street shoulder to shoulder with one another, taking up the entire pavement and in fact literally banging into people who were trying to pass them. Even more bizarrely they were passing a bottle between one another. Total rockets of the highest order and of course not a member of the constabulary in sight.

What’s bizarre about neds drinking in public? what are you expecting? 

“Troops, in light of the public health situation, I vote we tone down the alky tanning a bit.”

”aye, sound.”

the day rockets drinking in public disappear from the Scottish landscape will be a sad one. A minority view perhaps.

It is, and will be very important, but it can only exist later on - not with a population where there wasn’t immunity already and no vaccine to help bring controlled responses in people.
Also just to say Laura K is an idiot - “Will there be another three weeks”? He’s literally just said that. It’s also pointless asking what’s happening in x weeks - they are responding to the figures so we will be different.

Just said that myself. There are some staggeringly dumb questions at these things. The ITV guy was much more on point.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

That is genuinely scary.  Police enforcing social distancing rules and this is happening.  I reckon you have a far greater chance of catching a virus in an air-recirculated aircraft flight than just about anywhere else.  

I am totally astounded by the 15,000 per day figure.

Why astounded? This country elected the biggest bunch of silver-spooned imbeciles imaginable. They couldn’t organise a piss-up in a brewery. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Why astounded? This country elected the biggest bunch of silver-spooned imbeciles imaginable. They couldn’t organise a piss-up in a brewery. 

I edited my post to add a bit about Scotland.  If we are doing the same thing then your criticism also has to be directed towards the Scottish Government.  

And yes I am astounded that 105,000 people are still entering the UK by flights on a weekly basis.  Does that figure not strike you as high at this time?

55 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Good to see you back on the forum Willie. I think a lot of us were worried you were no longer with us!

Thanks SJB. I've been hibernating for a couple of years but occasionally popped in here to read the latest news. I've been hooked on the Covid-19 virus forum and I had to reply to one numpty. So here I am.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Also we are not citizens.  We are British subjects.   The government is not our government - it is Her Majesty's government.  The navy, the air force, the mail service.  Nothing to do with us.  Royal this, royal that and so on.

Give you some idea where we all fit in.

50 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Doesn't keep me awake at night.

It keeps me awake at night. And that's why I want Scotland out of this effing union.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I edited my post to add a bit about Scotland.  If we are doing the same thing then your criticism also has to be directed towards the Scottish Government.  

And yes I am astounded that 105,000 people are still entering the UK by flights on a weekly basis.  Does that figure not strike you as high at this time?

There's some American woman greeting because her mum got refused entry to visit her and has human rights lawyers involved. Unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Just said that myself. There are some staggeringly dumb questions at these things. The ITV guy was much more on point.

So many of the questions just go over the same ground.

It’s fine when trying to get a direct answer on why there wasn’t PPE and he’s evading the question, but in the case of talking about coming out of the lockdown, it’s pretty reasonable to say they are waiting for the data.

I don’t doubt that they have been talking about how they might approach it but things might change that approach, I.e if BAME people are now or later shown to be high risk, they may alter the plan. This seems sensible so why keep asking for another answer?

^ This
Do the police stop and ask them where they are going or where they have been?
Were their journeys absolutely essential?
Somebody really needs to have a long meaningful look at this unacceptable situation.

Why would the police stop them when entry into the country via airports is the reserve of the Immigration Enforcement and absolutely nothing to do with police?