Coronavirus (COVID-19)

46 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This last post on a reread snagged me like getting caught on a tree branch while walking past and I remembered the receptionist called Brenda. Now just to clarify I take it Brenda is employed by the company that runs the building where you have your office? And you occasionally hire family members to help out every now and then, hire them and then pay them when the work is done?

And just one more thing, are you using the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) to make ends meet right now?

Oh, well played, Snafu. The fantasy businessman is more of a general, mossie-in-the-bedroom style irritant for me. To pick up that wee snippet and recall Brenda, then lay out his nonsense in order like that, is excellent work.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

£35m might be a “drop in the ocean” but there are many better things it could be spent on.

Maybe you’re just taking the piss now.

Nah, he's taking the malaria drug - come on, mate, keep up.

Although taking the piss might be just as effective - anyone got Bear Grylls' number?

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

Let the junior muppets take the flak for this mess, he'll probably make a grand appearance once it's over.

Be nice to Donny in the hope of a post brexit trade deal....

Second point might actually be closer to the truth. It's basically an ad campaign run by the potus. Can't see that institution regaining any of the half arsed gravitas it might have had once he finally gets to f**k. 

First point, aye, people can criticise NS all they want, but at leat she has the balls to stand up in front of the press every day and discuss the decisions she makes. 

53 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This last post on a reread snagged me like getting caught on a tree branch while walking past and I remembered the receptionist called Brenda. Now just to clarify I take it Brenda is employed by the company that runs the building where you have your office? And you occasionally hire family members to help out every now and then, hire them and then pay them when the work is done?

And just one more thing, are you using the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) to make ends meet right now?

Forensic.

20 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Fine, except Cygnus clearly identified the biggest threat our Healsth service would face. So, possibly maybe just the inkling of a smidgen of an idea, then.

But I'm agreeing we should have bought PPE and ventilators. 

16 minutes ago, bennett said:

Let the junior muppets take the flak for this mess, he'll probably make a grand appearance once it's over.

When you've got lightweights like Eustice and Sharma fronting the briefings, You just know Patel and Sunak reserving their appearances for relative "good days", there's a few will be sticking the knives in when the fat fúck finally does re-appear. It's becoming increasingly clear that Rees-mogg has no intention of being associated with this in any way, as well.

Be nice to Donny in the hope of a post brexit trade deal....

After Covid, handled by this lot, and the Brexit which they could still delay (but won't, 'cos Global Britain), we'll be taking what we're fucking given from the Spams, the Europeans, and anyone else who fancies exploiting us.

45 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Is there any particular reasoning so many businesses are making staff redundant rather than just keeping them on furlough for the time being to let them earn some money for a few more months? Is there some sort of “rule” against that?

I can’t get my head round a business letting someone go (in an environment where they’ve next to no chance of finding a job) rather than letting them get 80% of their salary for a few more months at no cost to the business. 

I can think of three main reasons.

Firstly, the company may not have the cash to pay staff then claim back through the scheme. Or be able to raise funds to cover them. In this instance they may have no choice.

The other two are more scummy:

Secondly, poorly structured companies may see this as a perfect opportunity to get rid of some dead wood and restructure.

Thirdly, companies may see the short term hit on redundancy payments worth it in the long run, if they can hire again in a few months staff on lower salaries with fewer holidays and less benefits.

40% of deaths in England and Wales have been in care homes. 

All the fuss at the start about football, pubs, gyms, shops and absolute shite since then about parks and beauty spots has all been an effort to deflect that the government were making no effort to protect the most vunerable as it had already been contracted out to absolute chancers. 

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can think of three main reasons.

Firstly, the company may not have the cash to pay staff then claim back through the scheme. Or be able to raise funds to cover them. In this instance they may have no choice.

The other two are more scummy:

Secondly, poorly structured companies may see this as a perfect opportunity to get rid of some dead wood and restructure.

Thirdly, companies may see the short term hit on redundancy payments worth it in the long run, if they can hire again in a few months staff on lower salaries with fewer holidays and less benefits.

All three scenarios are being played out at the moment, I'd have thought.

On the first, Mrs WRK took up a check-out job to keep a few quid coming in as she was paying staff to 100% while her company suspended operations. Without that income, she'd have had to let people go.*

Any company trying the second scenario will hopefully get hammered with UD and Discrimination claims if they stray outside accepted guidelines. (LIFO, or whatever their SOP is. )

The third way may work, but here's an issue with using redundancy where the work still needs covering. Obviously, in this situation, it's not being done, but it ccould be required at extremely short notice. I hope the workers in this (and the second, above) scenario are unionised, because both situations reek of cúntishness.

*And now, when clients are screaming to have their houses cleaned, she'd have no staff, and they'd have been perfectly justified in telling her to go fúck herself if she asked them to come back. The scenario which I fervently hope faces Wetherspoons when they are allowed to re-open.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

40% of deaths in England and Wales have been in care homes. 

All the fuss at the start about football, pubs, gyms, shops and absolute shite since then about parks and beauty spots has all been an effort to deflect that the government were making no effort to protect the most vunerable as it had already been contracted out to absolute chancers. 

Making no effort to protect? Quite the opposite, in fact. They were shovelling folk out of hospitals and into care homes as fast as they fucking could, as a matter of policy, "to protect the NHS".

Yes, the NHS operated through the peak, but at the cost of many, many innocents being sacrificed. Not forgetting the poor bastárds who work in the Care sector.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Could be worth getting a stash in for people who need it for Lupus or Malaria etc in case fuckwit Americans buy it all up. 

Yeah because malaria is going to be rampant in the UK while nobody is travelling to the tropics all year. A complete and utter nonsense argument.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Yeah because malaria is going to be rampant in the UK while nobody is travelling to the tropics all year. A complete and utter nonsense argument.

Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis aren't that rare. And you get recurring bouts of malaria from previous infections.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

First point, aye, people can criticise NS all they want, but at leat she has the balls to stand up in front of the press every day and discuss the decisions she makes. 

Her gold star is in the post for being a level above Boris Johnson in the diligent political leadership stakes. She also pledged to treat Scots 'like adults' in the decision making process but hasn't actually followed up on that.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

TBF I also had trouble recognising Trump's sarcasm when he talked about injecting detergents. 

I don’t think he was being sarcastic.  Anyway please do not inject yourself with detergent.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis aren't that rare. And you get recurring bouts of malaria from previous infections.

Lupus is in fact relatively uncommon as is fucking malaria within the UK public as well. Both lupus and rheumatoid arthritis can be treated by any number of drugs rather than just Trump's super powerful malarial drug. If this decision was run through a NICE appraisal like any new drug on the market then it would be given short shrift as a waste of resources. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Lupus is in fact relatively uncommon as is fucking malaria within the UK public as well. Rheumatoid arthritis can be treated by any number of drugs rather than just Trump's super powerful malarial drug. If this decision was run through a NICE appraisal like any new drug on the market then it would be given short shrift as a waste of resources. 

Approved by NICE. 50,000 cases of Lupus, 400,000 cases of rheumatoid arthritis in the UK.

image.thumb.png.508fa475d7c49894a1cf5dd67cfb605a.png

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/hydroxychloroquine-sulfate.html

Edited by welshbairn

Banter timeline demands that this stuff turns out to be a foolproof cure, leading to a huge Trump lead in the election only for him to die of a massive heart attack on the eve of poll.