Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do you actually believe people who were worried about a second wave of a virus and potentially another lockdown period are now upset that more people aren't infected or dying?

I don't think anyone is actively seeking someone to die of Covid to prove their point but once you've staked out your hilltop position that OCD levels of social distancing are the only thing keeping everyone alive and how irresponsible it would be to open up pubs again, you don't want to be proved utterly wrong. Which is why the second wavers are so active right now in cherry picking examples of minor outbreaks and wildly extrapolating off R rates that aren't actually meaningful when literally a handful of people are infected in an entire country. 

If the facts were stacked on the opposite side of the argument then the open things up faction would of course be doing exactly the same thing. 

I suppose looking at those pictures from English beaches it'd be interesting to know if similar behaviour has been seen on the continent with no noticeable rises in rates. You see it and think Well we're fucking arseholes, but then I don't know if that's unfair. 
ITV were reporting live from Benidorm on Monday, beach was deserted. They have the sense to have 2m spaces marked out on their beaches. Seems sensible maybe someone should point that out to Bournemouth authorities.

The gammonfolk of Dorset are simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that just because they own a house on the edge of a country of 55 million people, that doesn't give them the right to gatekeep access to their nearest beach. 

By next year when international travel is up and running again rest assured that absolutely nobody will be driving six hours in a day to visit Bournemouth.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I had to edit that as I'm not expressing myself very well.  I don't think that people are sitting fingers crossed hoping there's a second wave and lots more deaths but there are people who have embraced the regulations who see anyone even slightly bending rules or even not taking them as seriously as being terrible, selfish people who are endangering everyone.

Agreed, with the addition that many of them also want to have a full OBE awarded to them for the heroic task of 'sticking to the rules', as any below the line comments section on Sturgeon's social media feed will confirm.

This genuinely appears to be the greatest achievement in some people's lives since popping out their latest sprog. 

4 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

What's the situation in NI just now? I can imagine the Orangey side will be agitating at getting the marching season up and running. 

The marching season starts in March, and everything has been and still is cancelled since 17th March - "The Officers of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland have been carefully monitoring the advice offered by the United Kingdom Government, the Northern Ireland Health Minister and relevant local health professionals. In direct response to the Prime Minister’s appeal to limit social interaction that ‘now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel’ and taking other factors into consideration, I have taken the unprecedented, but necessary decision to instruct that all meetings, services, events and parades of the Orange Institution should cease immediately and until further notice."

Full list of the 331 Tory MPs who voted against weekly testing of NHS and care staff

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/full-list-of-the-331-tory-mps-who-voted-against-weekly-testing-of-nhs-and-care-staff/25/06/

No surprise to see Mundell, Jack, Ross and the other three representing Scottish constituencies among that number.

c***s.

On 15/06/2020 at 12:54, KingRocketman II said:

Mr Rees-Mogg also insisted that metric measurements - such as metres and centimetres - are not allowed.

Instead imperial measurements must be followed at all times.

Just occurred to me when watching him defend the opening of Parliament, Jacob Rees Mogg must be be in perpetual agony every day of the lockdown in seeing the Government quote and use images to reinforce the 2 metre social distancing requirement. 

frequent pub goer Ress-Mogg, desperately shoe horns in an imperial measurement reference in order to illustrate how much a man of the people he truly is:

Pub-goers should "go back to drinking a yard of ale" to mark pubs reopening in England while maintaining social distancing rules, Jacob Rees-Mogg says. "Because if they drink a yard of ale they will maintain social distancing while enjoying an extra large drink to celebrate the fact that they are back in the pub."

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The marching season starts in March, and everything has been and still is cancelled since 17th March - "The Officers of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland have been carefully monitoring the advice offered by the United Kingdom Government, the Northern Ireland Health Minister and relevant local health professionals. In direct response to the Prime Minister’s appeal to limit social interaction that ‘now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel’ and taking other factors into consideration, I have taken the unprecedented, but necessary decision to instruct that all meetings, services, events and parades of the Orange Institution should cease immediately and until further notice."

They've issued nothing since St Patrick's Day?

14 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

frequent pub goer Ress-Mogg, desperately shoe horns in an imperial measurement reference in order to illustrate how much a man of the people he truly is:

Pub-goers should "go back to drinking a yard of ale" to mark pubs reopening in England while maintaining social distancing rules, Jacob Rees-Mogg says. "Because if they drink a yard of ale they will maintain social distancing while enjoying an extra large drink to celebrate the fact that they are back in the pub."

What an absolute prize c**t of a man. Fucking caricature 

13 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

They've issued nothing since St Patrick's Day?

"all meetings, services, events and parades of the Orange Institution should cease immediately and until further notice" - 17th March

"Lodges will be planning to celebrate and commemorate the forthcoming anniversaries. Whatever your plans, it is imperative that we comply with all Government regulations, especially regarding numbers and social distancing. Any pictures or videos being posted on social media must reflect this. It is probably best not to advertise any physical events i.e. Laying a wreath at a war memorial; in order that no spectators or other members arrive at the location. Can I also remind everyone that the Institution has cancelled all Twelfth of July related parades and no applications to parade should be made at this time." - 20th May

Parades require 28/30 days notice (can't remember which) and as the 12th July is only 17 days away (18 actually as it's on the 13th this year) there is no chance of parades being notified and processed in that time, and although preliminary plans will have been made and implemented since last year for this year's parade(s), there would be no chance of getting everything organised in time.

If things keep improving there might be a very, very slight chance of the Apprentice Boys parade going ahead and the Royal Black parades at the end of August, but I think it's highly unlikely, I think 2020 has been written off. Anyway, the Apprentice Boys parade is only 6 weeks away, not nearly time to get things organised, although it practically runs itself to a certain extent.

37 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"all meetings, services, events and parades of the Orange Institution should cease immediately and until further notice" - 17th March

"Lodges will be planning to celebrate and commemorate the forthcoming anniversaries. Whatever your plans, it is imperative that we comply with all Government regulations, especially regarding numbers and social distancing. Any pictures or videos being posted on social media must reflect this. It is probably best not to advertise any physical events i.e. Laying a wreath at a war memorial; in order that no spectators or other members arrive at the location. Can I also remind everyone that the Institution has cancelled all Twelfth of July related parades and no applications to parade should be made at this time." - 20th May

Parades require 28/30 days notice (can't remember which) and as the 12th July is only 17 days away (18 actually as it's on the 13th this year) there is no chance of parades being notified and processed in that time, and although preliminary plans will have been made and implemented since last year for this year's parade(s), there would be no chance of getting everything organised in time.

If things keep improving there might be a very, very slight chance of the Apprentice Boys parade going ahead and the Royal Black parades at the end of August, but I think it's highly unlikely, I think 2020 has been written off. Anyway, the Apprentice Boys parade is only 6 weeks away, not nearly time to get things organised, although it practically runs itself to a certain extent.

A welcome bit of respite then. Good news

31 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Such a terrible, wee shame that.

In other Covid doing humanity a wee turn news, I see that the cancellation of Glastonbury (scheduled for this weekend) has scuppered a planned 'VIP guest* set' from Mumford and Sons, in addition to the already publicised tsunami of utter dogshit that Emily Eavis and the BBC were planning to pollute the TV schedule with all weekend. Throw in the above to the hilarious, tear-drenched end to the Scottish football season and the Covid deserves a bit more credit than it's getting IMO.

*Mumford and Sons FFS.

IMG_1730.jpg.5c1913dde496e59fb1ac40d20f14a563.jpg