Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

In Scotland it's more likely people just won't go to the shops and this will be binned when retail sales jack knife. 

Is it such a big deal to wear a mask that folk would stop shopping if they had to wear one?  

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Given their elimination goal I would have thought if they believed the figures were close to 7 per 100k they would be singing that from the rooftops, we would almost be there.

Fair.

They could, of course, avoid all of this by simply showing how they have calculated things

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

In Scotland it's more likely people just won't go to the shops and this will be binned when retail sales jack knife. 

https://berylkingstonblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/photo.jpg?w=229&h=273

FFS. Your in a shop for about 15 minutues, your no rebel not wearing a mask. If it helps things open up and makes the public feel a little safer then it's a no brainer to wear one. It's not political it's being courteous.

Do you realise that deaths reported from outside hospitals (e.g. care home/deaths at home) are highly lagged in the figures and a lot of the deaths being reported happened weeks if not months ago?

NHS England’s figures are far more reliable, and they’re showing less than 50 per day on average

I am aware of lags - I was talking about the weekly averages in terms of trend.

Even with the figures you are stating the death rate is significantly higher than the other 3 nations.

I very rarely go into Perth city centre unless it’s for a trip to a restaurant or a bar. So wearing a mask in retail shops Won’t bother me when I have to make a trip to get some things next week.

Been wearing them when I go to get the food shop for a month, I’m in and out of Aldi or Morrison’s within half an hour, it really doesn’t bother me. However, the only thing that annoys me is when I’ve not shaved for a while it can be a bit irritating.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

I'm pretty sure that if a condition of being able to go and watch football was a mask then there would be no real dissent.

Struggling to see the issue with compliance for going into a shop tbh, its not as if its for all day.

You'd get people complaining they can't sing and there's no atmosphere.

Shops might not ever recover fully from this and the change from in store to online has been accelerated from covid.

Don't have any problem with masks but if I need to buy something without touching or looking at it then I will do it online every time.

Like to support local shops but going into shops that aren't online seems pointless unless you live within walking distance.

Fife Council helped accelerate things by charging for parking and extortionate rates that were the same as Edinburgh apparently.

RIP Town Centre.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Shops might not ever recover fully from this and the change from in store to online has been accelerated from covid.

Don't have any problem with masks but if I need to buy something without touching or looking at it then I will do it online every time.

Like to support local shops but going into shops that aren't online seems pointless unless you live within walking distance.

Fife Council helped accelerate things by charging for parking and extortionate rates that were the same as Edinburgh apparently.

RIP Town Centre.

Count yourself lucky that it took until COVID to speed up the process of your town centre’s demise. 

No need for a global pandemic over here. Falkirk Council just needed a few imbeciles in an office several years ago. 

Count yourself lucky that it took until COVID to speed up the process of your town centre’s demise. 

No need for a global pandemic over here. Falkirk Council just needed a few imbeciles in an office several years ago. 

It was on the way out really anyway.

They built a new shopping centre and couldn't even fill it. Most shops from the high street just moved in there or to a bigger and cheaper out of town option.

A street at the bottom of the town is now coming through being derelict and is just filled with hairdressers, salons or tattoo shops. Theres one good beer shop and a clothes shop. That's all dunfermline has now.

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

RIP Town Centre.

Town centres have been dying since the invention of the supermarket/out of town shopping centres/the internet* anyway, so this isn't exactly a huge change. It simply continues the trend seen for at least the last 37 years.

*Delete as applicable depending on age

45 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

https://berylkingstonblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/photo.jpg?w=229&h=273

FFS. Your in a shop for about 15 minutues, your no rebel not wearing a mask. If it helps things open up and makes the public feel a little safer then it's a no brainer to wear one. It's not political it's being courteous.

People who work in shops are there for a lot longer than that. Also shops aren't going to challenge people about masks as some people have medical exemptions so if you anyone who doesn't want to wear one doesn't have to. 

Shops that rely on browsing will suffer because of this. 

People who work in shops are there for a lot longer than that. Also shops aren't going to challenge people about masks as some people have medical exemptions so if you anyone who doesn't want to wear one doesn't have to. 
Shops that rely on browsing will suffer because of this. 
You assume that human behaviour does not change when in fact we do adapt to changing circumstances.

Town centres began to decline when I was a kid with supermarkets and out of town shopping centres taking over.  Most city centres are now taken up with really low status shops, pawnbrokers, charity shops, Wetherspoons.  Now internet shopping has started killing out of town shopping centres, the only businesses that are really growing in shopping centres are things like gyms and casual dining places.  Covid has hit both of those sectors very hard, I wonder what will happen to the inevitable empty spaces that will arise.  Will some clever entrepreneur work out a way to make decent housing out of them?

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I wonder what will happen to the inevitable empty spaces that will arise

In theory, rents should drop as there is less demand, making the space more accessible for new startups.

In reality you will probably find that owners are unwilling to drop the rent and the empty spaces wind up derelict.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

In theory, rents should drop as there is less demand, making the space more accessible for new startups.

In reality you will probably find that owners are unwilling to drop the rent and the empty spaces wind up derelict.

As you say in theory that's true but in reality I doubt that there will be enough new start ups to fill the empty space.  I can see a lot of dereliction in future, a very bad trend.

24 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Town centres have been dying since the invention of the supermarket/out of town shopping centres/the internet* anyway, so this isn't exactly a huge change. It simply continues the trend seen for at least the last 37 years.

*Delete as applicable depending on age

Yeah, the current pandemic might hasten the process, but there's been a steady movement away from town centre shopping as long as I can remember...most small-town main streets now consist of takeways, a few old-man pubs which are dying on their arse because of the local Wetherspoons, a couple of bookies and chemists, a vape shop, maybe a tattoo artist and/or nail bar, a bunch of charity shops and in terms of food shopping probably some small supermarket along the lines of the Co-op or Spar and an old style butchers where OAPs still insist on buying "thur butcher meat".

In the media there seems to be a fetishisation of what "the high street" used to signify, but the reality is that people have moved on from that mode of shopping, footfall is down and consequently shops will close. Businesses won't stay open where they're losing money in order to supply the public with a 1950s high street theme park where they can get nostalgic twice a year.

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Yep, same discussion we've often had with Falkirk Fc re ticket prices and empty seats. The club claim that a reduction in prices doesn't lead to much of an uptake in fans therefor the club loses income, in other words thanks for your loyalty now excuse us while we rip you off cause others have chucked it