Coronavirus (COVID-19)

55 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I can be arsed with talk of an acceptable risk which is where this has been heading from day one.

But no, I can't be arsed with restrictions next winter

Don't be so hasty writing that off. I had a fantastic in-law free Christmas this year and if there is a potential for same again next year then I'm all for it. 

If wearing a mask next winter is the only thing we're asked to do then I'll happily take that.

If I'm sitting here this time next year and can't go for a pint, can't see friends or family, can't go to the gym, play 5s or even get a haircut then what's the fucking point? I'm also supposed to be getting married in December having already pushed that back a year. I realise this probably comes across as selfish but so f**k - there will be thousands if not millions of people in the same boat and Whitty should be laughed at for even suggesting bringing in restrictions every winter.

To repeat for the umpteenth time, if the vaccines result in low hospitalisations and low deaths then no restrictions are needed. Hopefully in a few months we can file covid under the big list of "things we might but are very unlikely to die from" and people can start to pick up the pieces of their lives.

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Being required by law  to wear a mask is quite clearly a restriction. I don't see how that can be up for debate. 

If people want to keep wearing them then they should be free to do so. Once people vulnerable groups are vaccinated, I don't see the need for continuing to mandate them. 

Once this is over it won't continue

What reason would there be

If wearing a mask next winter is the only thing we're asked to do then I'll happily take that.

If I'm sitting here this time next year and can't go for a pint, can't see friends or family, can't go to the gym, play 5s or even get a haircut then what's the fucking point? I'm also supposed to be getting married in December having already pushed that back a year. I realise this probably comes across as selfish but so f**k - there will be thousands if not millions of people in the same boat and Whitty should be laughed at for even suggesting bringing in restrictions every winter.

To repeat for the umpteenth time, if the vaccines result in low hospitalisations and low deaths then no restrictions are needed. Hopefully in a few months we can file covid under the big list of "things we might but are very unlikely to die from" and people can start to pick up the pieces of their lives.

Agree 100%

Bingo.

And that's likely how it will go especially with more and more vaccines and various treatments likely to also come down the line.

If we are in a position where we need to wear a mask in certain environments to try and add further protection to vulnerable people (remember these vaccines aren't 100% effective... Yet) then it really isnae the beginning of the downward spiral but simply a sensible precaution to allow people to try and carry on with their lives.

12 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

It really isn't. Staying at home is a restriction, social distancing is a restriction, curfews are a restriction.

A piece of cloth that you may be asked to wear in certain circumstances really isn't restriction anymore than being asked to wear smart dress to work.

It is a restriction. Claiming it isn't is, frankly, bizarre.

ETA just because it is something you'd be happy to continue doing doesn't make it not a restriction.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

Where does it say “they don’t actually work”?

You produced the link to show that the WHO suggested they worked, despite it stating no such thing. Maybe you should have read your first result on Google from 12 years ago first.

No study to date has shown them to do anything.

20210105_193412.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

You produced the link to show that the WHO suggested they worked, despite it stating no such thing. Maybe you should have read your first result on Google from 12 years ago first.
No study to date has shown them to do anything.
20210105_193412.thumb.jpg.ca0349a8dcefb88c3d7a8baae0e87236.jpg

Even a quick read of that shows that there is an impact from mask wearing - only question is the definition of “significant”.

Where is this table from?

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

Even a quick read of that shows that there is an impact from mask wearing - only question is the definition of “significant”.

Where? "No significant difference" does not automatically mean there was any difference at all.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

image.png.724883792bd70a738621445f1eee8163.png

Cos being asked to wear a face mask for 90 secs in the Spar while you buy a paper and a Kit Kat is comparable to the systematic extermination of 6m people.....

On 04/01/2021 at 09:25, MixuFruit said:

Imagining getting jabbed in a brewdog pub then getting given a token for some pint of undrinkable beer called "dirty wee p***k" or something

On 04/01/2021 at 09:39, doulikefish said:

Brewdog love some publicity

I was going to go back and read what I'd missed, but I've found the peak already. These two posts were made fourteen minutes apart. 

Where? "No significant difference" does not automatically mean there was any difference at all.

IMG_0118.jpg

Here’s the words from above your table (google is a wonderful thing).

You may notice a number of conclusions that, in fact, masks provide a “significant reduction in ILI” if worn correctly.

I suppose if I had just pulled a table from some Covid-denier Twitter account without context, I might have reached the same conclusion as you.