Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A fixed penalty notice to go with his buggered leg.
https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/walkers-fined-over-covid-rules-breach-after-mountain-rescue-223723
Two men were given fixed penalty notices after being rescued from a Munro on Hogmanay.
Police and mountain rescue teams were called to help when the hikers got into difficulty descending Buachaille Etive Mòr in Glen Coe.
Police Scotland said that one of the men had sustained a leg injury which resulted in 25 members of Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team attending on foot to locate the men and safely assist them off the hill.
The injured man was taken by road ambulance to hospital for assessment. During the rescue, a member of Glencoe MRT suffered an injury which is currently undergoing medical assessment.
Inspector Kevin Macleod, from Highlands and Islands Police Division, said: “The men had travelled from Oban to hike this route, and found themselves in difficultly as the light was fading at 3.25pm when police and MRT were called.
“The rescue took a total of 108 man hours and the team stood down at 7.30pm. Both men, aged 21 and 27, were issued with fixed penalty notices for breaching travel regulations.
"We continue to ask people to take personal responsibility to do the right thing and remember the purpose of these measures is to aid the collective effort to protect the NHS and save lives by preventing the virus from spreading."
The travel restrictions in Scotland have been tightened further since the incident, with a national lockdown put in place from Tuesday morning.
Andy Neilson, team leader at Glencoe Mountain Rescue, said: “We will always continue to provide the vital MRT service that we are committed to. However, the volunteers assisting the men did feel vulnerable due to the inevitable close contact required and we have to prioritise the health of our members in order to continue to provide this vital service."

That's like when someone has injured themselves hacking down a forward, and the ref waits for them to get back up before sending them off...

6 minutes ago, PWL said:

Cos being asked to wear a face mask for 90 secs in the Spar while you buy a paper and a Kit Kat is comparable to the systematic extermination of 6m people.....

Slippery slope, imho...

3 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I suppose if I had just pulled a table from some Covid-denier Twitter account without context, I might have reached the same conclusion as you.

Bit awkward for you then that I've already posted the entire publication then, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

Cos being asked to wear a face mask for 90 secs in the Spar while you buy a paper and a Kit Kat is comparable to the systematic extermination of 6m people.....

It's obviously a gross exaggeration just pointing out that a piece of cloth can be a signifier. 

If masks are still required after the vaccine it will be more about keeping the public in a crisis state of mind and primed for further restrictions/societal changes than for health reasons. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Starmer on bbc there saying there should be 24/7 vaccinations.

I expect this prospect to be rejected by the government so fingers crossed it should start by next Thursday.

I'm all for the concept of 24/7 vaccinations. Unless mine is at 04.30 on a Monday morning in Wetherspoons, Hull.

10 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

No comment of the substantive point then. Good work.

No need. In real world conditions it's quite clear they don't work, and the studies reflect this.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Nonsense. They don't work. Move on.

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

An even more recent report showing they have an effect.

But you’re probably right. I’ll take the view of scientists over a masker who told us unequivocally that this was “over as a public health emergency” on a Scottish football forum and “move on”.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

An even more recent report showing they have an effect.

But you’re probably right. I’ll take the view of scientists over a masker who told us unequivocally that this was “over as a public health emergency” on a Scottish football forum and “move on”.

You'll forgive me for ignoring the musings of someone who thinks bringing a covid study to a flu debate is a home run, never mind one which again highlights the relative ineffectiveness of masks in real world conditions.

Spoiler

source.gif

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Steven W said:

I can't fathom why we haven't done the same

Lockdown fatigue is real - compliance levels don't feel as high as they used to be (purely anecdotal - don't have any evidence on that one).

I think a message of "We're locking down so we can free up essential medical personnel to vaccinate everyone, and we'll lift the restrictions once we hit X number of people vaccinated" would result in people getting behind it though.