Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hearing of delays in vaccine administration in a hospital in Glasgow today for over 3hrs because no one booked any vaccinators. But this is all going well and we shouldnt be angry. 
If something like that IS really happening you can 100% guarantee the journos will be all over it like a rash at the daily briefing. There will be tons of rumours doing the rounds given we are in the facebook era but it's box office headline wise for the media right now so I'd be very surprised if any incident like that that actually does occur doesn't see the light of day.

That said medical procedures get cancelled day in day out due to staff shortage. Add in the pandemic causing increased sickness and isolation it would be understandable if vaccinations were affected like everything else. Difference at the moment is supply is slack enough for it to make no overall difference but that will hopefully change in coming weeks and we have been assured staffing will be ramped up accordingly.

ETA the Evening Times had a front page splash complaining about nurses having to queue "in the freezing cold" for their vaccine. The accompanying picture showed about a dozen folk waiting.

WT actual F surely lines of people getting vaccinated is a good thing. We need to get the idea that this should be like a normal gp 10 min spaced appointment process in the bin asap.

We need to see more queues and if it's nhs staff complaining about standing in line for a few minutes for their jab to the press quite frankly f**k them !

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2046367/qualified-hope

2 years to end the epidemic in Thailand  & 70% vaccination for the population until tourist are full allowed to return.

Won't be seeing my sisters for a while now.

Also only Thais to receive the vaccine, even though I probably pay more tax towards the health dept than most in my village  country...😃

Have a great day everyone.

Yep, the locals only thing worries me a little here, but then again if all locals are vaccinated I suppose I won't need it - and, as we're getting the Chinese jab I'm probably amongst the lucky ones. 

Happy New Year to you and yours!

What about younger folk who got fucked with it, my BiLs pal was a fit marathon runner who got it and struggles to get up a flight of stairs months later. Dont think a cold leaves that sort of impact.

Not meaning to sound like a w**k but that is one is how many thousands? There will always be a few that suffer long term from it which is sadly a result of most viruses

Still in Kent and trains just cancelled into London.  FFS.

Anyway Wife called to say she is getting Vaccinated in the community hospital St Andrews on Friday.  She is a Dental Hygienist so certainly classed as front line heath worker.

I asked her if it was a free for all when booking.

Apparently not she says.  Spoke to a human being.

Where did you get the numer from I asks.

No Joke this.

The Janny in the building she says.

Finger on the pulse these guys.

3 hours ago, philpy said:

Takes one to know one.

At which point did I suggest that?? The point I'm trying to make is there are young people going out to house parties every weekend and just not giving a f**k. This poor lad has stuck by the rules and made sacrifices  to try and make a future for himself. It's just very sad that depression and loneliness took its toll.

There was obviously something going on that impacted on him but I think you might be making a bit of a leap. It only happened the other day and he was the "nephew of a customer". How do you know the circumstances that you can attribute it to the pandemic?

3 hours ago, philpy said:

Takes one to know one.

It doesn't take Lee Wallace to know what a grass is, so no, your playground 'logic' doesn't actually stack up at all.

At which point did I suggest that??

Right here:

10 hours ago, philpy said:

It should act as a wake up call to the younger generation that don't give a f**k about restrictions. that poor lad was sticking to the rules and was working with his uncle to hopefully learn a trade if things didn't work out with studies.

You've just linked one young man's tragic suicide to those who 'don't give a f**k about restrictions'. Which is completely ridiculous, even leaving to one side the question of how your panopticon works to tell who is definitively 'sticking to the rules' and who isn't. 

The point I'm trying to make is there are young people going out to house parties every weekend and just not giving a f**k. This poor lad has stuck by the rules and made sacrifices to try and make a future for himself. It's just very sad that depression and loneliness took its toll.

Then the only logical conclusion is that the current restrictions puts a significant burden on the mental health of all young people, which makes a handful of them breaking restrictions explicable even if we should not commend them for doing so.

That's the only credible 'wake-up call' from this episode rather than some garbled morality play nonsense.

Edited by vikingTON

48 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

If something like that IS really happening you can 100% guarantee the journos will be all over it like a rash at the daily briefing. There will be tons of rumours doing the rounds given we are in the facebook era but it's box office headline wise for the media right now so I'd be very surprised if any incident like that that actually does occur doesn't see the light of day.

That said medical procedures get cancelled day in day out due to staff shortage. Add in the pandemic causing increased sickness and isolation it would be understandable if vaccinations were affected like everything else. Difference at the moment is supply is slack enough for it to make no overall difference but that will hopefully change in coming weeks and we have been assured staffing will be ramped up accordingly.

ETA the Evening Times had a front page splash complaining about nurses having to queue "in the freezing cold" for their vaccine. The accompanying picture showed about a dozen folk waiting.

WT actual F surely lines of people getting vaccinated is a good thing. We need to get the idea that this should be like a normal gp 10 min spaced appointment process in the bin asap.

We need to see more queues and if it's nhs staff complaining about standing in line for a few minutes for their jab to the press quite frankly f**k them !

No it ‘DID’ happen. One of my wife’s colleagues was there. Pretty sure for the press to cover it they have to have a source and perhaps no one is willing to speak to them, I know i’d never speak to a journalist, especially from a red top because I have absolutely zero faith in the media. 

2 years to end the epidemic in Thailand  & 70% vaccination for the population until tourist are full allowed to return.
Also only Thais to receive the vaccine, even though I probably pay more tax towards the health dept than most in my village  country...[emoji2]

Is there extented furlough for the solihull moors inthat caseV

12 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

It is genuinely incredible that we are nearly a year into this pandemic and folk are still churning out 'its just like the flu' as an argument.

It's clearly more serious than the flu, but at some point in the not-too-distant future deaths from this will be at the level of the flu (which has a vaccine). Given that it seems to be passed in the same way as the flu, you're going to be hearing more and more people saying 'it's just like the flu', so you'd better prepare to suspend your disbelief. Chris Whitty himself was basically making the comparison yesterday.

A Twitter user who I've found tweets good stuff during the pandemic has been looking back at some of the predictions from epidemiologists a year or so ago.  One of the main concerns and worries in that community was that lockdowns and pandemic restrictions would cause mass panic, social unrest/disorder and rioting.

If you read the thread, one epidemiologist said that lockdowns wouldn't work because they would cause mass rioting which would in turn cause more infections than the lockdown would prevent!

It's fascinating to look back at this and see the assumptions that lead people to adopt the wrong course of action.  If you want to go all Spiked about it, there seem a lot of people in the 'credentialled class' who look at the population with real fear and foreboding, as though all of us are on the verge of rioting.  It's not a viewpoint limited to this panedmic - during the financial crisis, Gordon Brown thought that if cash stopped coming out of bank machines, people would riot in the street.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Gordon Brown thought that if cash stopped coming out of bank machines, people would riot in the street.

If the banking system collapsed and people had no money as a consequence, I know my first step would be to raid Tesco.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Also only Thais to receive the vaccine, even though I probably pay more tax towards the health dept than most in my village  country...😃

If only Brits were to get it here the internet would break...

8 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Devi Sridhar complaining on Twitter this morning that Chris Whitty won’t answer her “Zero COVID” emails.......

Hopefully he has them set to automatically file themselves in the bin where they belong. Unread.

I don't know how many people came into this country riddled with the virus, 10's of thousand's, 100's of thousand's.
Worse than the care homes balls up.

Exactly, it wasn’t one person who brought it back from Italy it was 100s
At work on march the 11th our company were only asking those who had been to the north of Italy to stay off. That same day there were 4 boys in who had returned from diff parts of Spain, none developed symptoms but 3 later showed up in the antibody test

15 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Devi Sridhar complaining on Twitter this morning that Chris Whitty won’t answer her “Zero COVID” emails.......

If she goes to her happy place with unicorns and rainbows she can just imagine he has replied.   Just like her made up conversations she put on twitter.